Help, I think I got some malware going plugin crazy

Edrod

Power User
Hello guys,

Awhile back I went cheap and downloaded a ton of free plugins for my daw, reaper. I'm sure that while I downloaded some I might have downloaded some malware as well. Some of the signs are that I get a bunch of ads when I'm online on top of google chrome search list.

I tried downloading software to remove without success. My machine works fine but it's been getting annoying. Any ideas? Am I going to have to reformat my computer?

Edd

I agree with Rick, Malwarebyte is awesome. Been using it for years. As for Antivirus and over all protection I like Kaspersky Internet Security. They have a 30 day free trial that you can run. I always reset IE and clear cache's as well.

You can clear your cookies in the Privacy tab of your browser options too ..... that should help reduce the trashy google driven ads. Malwarebytes will clear them for you anyway if you allow it.

Check your Google Chrome extensions list for any extensions you don't recognize.

If you're running Windows, go to Uninstall Programs and check that list of installed programs
for any that look like malware or are programs you did not install yourself.
Delete any suspicious looking programs.

Those two steps may or may not work.

If you're still infected with the malware, closely examine the popups in your browser for the the sponsor's
name. Then Google that name, and you should come up up with hits to sites that will help you get rid of the ads.

Most of the ads are just plugs for you to buy anti-malware software, but usually down at the bottom of the page there
will be a step-by-step explanation of how to get rid of the ads.

Some of them are quite complex. I had one malware extension heaped on me by some outfit called HTMLCHKR. There
is no way to delete this extension once installed, but I was able to delete the program itself through some Google research
and painstaking examination of my computer files. The HTMLCHKR extension is still there in Enabled state, but the malware
itself is gone and I'm not bothered anymore by it.

When you install programs like Adobe Reader, YouTube Downloader, and such, you can be 99% certain you will also be infected
with malware. Same goes for updates, except for Windows, itself. These malware companies and a real bunch of slimebags and they're
getting nastier and nastier. But Google will get you out of trouble it gets you into. It just takes a little perseverance.

We use an enterprise version of Sophos. It kind of pricy, and really targeted at a specific audience. Norton antivirus works fine if you keep the definitions updated. I have been testing a free version of AVG Antivirus that seems decent, if youre strapped for cash.

Along with extensions also check your proxy settings, could be injecting shit when you search, either way, id be not doing any online banking until your pc is clean

Thank you so much guys. I downloaded malwarebytes and it detected 2 itmes from AirGlobe. I also uninstalled a couple of plugins that I downloaded. I only this this computer to record but got a little carried away with "free" plugins. I've been using the free version of Avast. I used both of them together and they detected some interesting things. I got rid of the stuff they detected and the adds disappeared. I'm contemplated getting a paid version of an antivirus software.

Can't deny that I feel stupid as I am decent with computer and overall technology. I definitely learned my lesson of just downloading plugins just because they're free.

And here we go, one of the biggest human fallacies of the 21th century. You know what virus-makers and cyber-criminals like most? Users who think they are safe.
^ yep.
Microsoft have learned their lesson many times in years gone by, and are now very diligent in getting critical patches out when new exploits are discovered. Apple ... Not so much.
This article sums it up well: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-macs-get-viruses/

And, lest you think I just cherry-picked some obscure article to support a particular point of view, take a 1-minute Google search, and you will find a multitude of other security experts saying pretty much the same thing.

Nothing against Macs, personally, but it's a fallacy that macs are virus-free. However, the myth still seems to be alive and well.

Many of our users simply run Malwarebytes Premium alongside the built in Windows Defender that ships with Windows and it's proven to be an effective combination that is also light on resources. Of course there are alternatives, and if you would prefer to use something with different capabilities and/or different features, there are free options available from the likes of AVG and Avast to name a few, and of course there are paid options available from a wide array of vendors, though many of them tend to include a lot of features that you may not necessarily need, but of course that depends on the types of features that you would find useful in your particular environment.
Mcafee is also a good option as it is equipped with same advanced security features and therefore my brother is using it on his device for office work. But yes there is not much difference between Mcafee and Avast.. See here https://www.techlectual.com/mcafee-vs-avast/ so choice is complete yours as they both are also very good option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom