HELP! Axe wont power up and all the lights are on

hkh

What to do? I recently upgraded the firmware to 8.06 with the axe editor. Everything was working yesterday but today when I turned on the power it wont boot.
All the lights are on.
axe.jpg

What to do? How do I fix this? I need my ultra ready for a gig on friday!

Gitarrenschlumpf said:
Where did you buy it? G66? If so, contact them and they will help you.
And so?
It's not first feedback about this problem.
So, having a solution or an answer about the origin of this freeze would be a nice thing.

I bought my Ultra on USA at a moment that G66 don't have any stock. I'd like to be reassured...

Now, I feared to get updates... :(

I read in another thread that this can happen if I don't let it reboot itself when updating the firmware - but my firmwareupdating was done correctly and it worked all yesterday after updating, so this is a different problem, right?

hkh said:
I read in another thread that this can happen if I don't let it reboot itself when updating the firmware - but my firmwareupdating was done correctly and it worked all yesterday after updating, so this is a different problem, right?
That's why I feared. Usually, while a machine meet this problem, the only solution is to replace the EPROM. And naturally, to do that, it's necessary to ship the unit ta the manufacturer or the distributor to conserve the warranty.

Now, the question for myself is: What about a unit that fan-modified by myself. The warranty is normally broken because of this mod. So, if that's right, does manufacturer or distributor will be ok to sale only an EPROM and let me replace it by myself?

If yes, I prefer to do that because I'm not enjoy to ship my unit to USA or Germany for few days or weeks...

Spawn-X said:
hkh said:
That's why I feared. Usually, while a machine meet this problem, the only solution is to replace the EPROM. And naturally, to do that, it's necessary to ship the unit ta the manufacturer or the distributor to conserve the warranty.

Now, the question for myself is: What about a unit that fan-modified by myself. The warranty is normally broken because of this mod. So, if that's right, does manufacturer or distributor will be ok to sale only an EPROM and let me replace it by myself?

If yes, I prefer to do that because I'm not enjoy to ship my unit to USA or Germany for few days or weeks...

I am quite certain both Fractal and G66 have sent out EEPROMs to people in this situation. Waste no time in contacting them and you could have one sent express and have the problem fixed before your gig.

quonsar said:
I am quite certain both Fractal and G66 have sent out EEPROMs to people in this situation. Waste no time in contacting them and you could have one sent express and have the problem fixed before your gig.

+1

This has always been my biggest fear with the Axe. If a batteri dies in a pedal, I can replace it. I a tube fails or a fuse breaks, I can replace it. Little else will in reality go wrong with a conventional guitar rig, unless you smash it with a hammer or drop it into the floor.

This? This happens suddenly without warning or misuse! Do I need two Axes to gig safe? :shock:

GummiTZ said:
This? This happens suddenly without warning or misuse! Do I need two Axes to gig safe? :shock:
To re-iterate what I've heard on multiple forums for different gear...
Always have a backup.
( Even when gigging with an amp. )

GummiTZ said:
This has always been my biggest fear with the Axe. If a batteri dies in a pedal, I can replace it. I a tube fails or a fuse breaks, I can replace it. Little else will in reality go wrong with a conventional guitar rig, unless you smash it with a hammer or drop it into the floor.

transformers, power supplies, shorts, bad speaker cable causing very bad things to happen to your tube amp. A lot can go wrong with a conventional rig.

javajunkie said:
A lot can go wrong with a conventional rig.

True. But strange thing: It seldom does. The things that most often fail (leads, tubes, fuses, batteries etc) is replaceable within a matter of minutes. If it fails on soundcheck, you can be up an running in safe time before the show. If anything goes wrong with the Axe, just pack it up and go home.

Please, don't misunderstand me. This is not critisism of the Axe-FX in particular, I am merely pointing out the risk which applies to all digital equipment. And when your tone relies 100% on it, it is scary.

I have heard the "always have a backup" quote a million times. But, not everyone can afford (or justify to wife) two Axe-Fx's (a Tech 21 pedal in the bag is not sufficient for everyone).

I think it is of utmost importance to keep stability (software-wize) the highest priority when coding for the Axe-FX. I am sure the hardware is best in class.

Amazing support from fractal audio here, response time on email was only 7 minutes!!

They're sending me a new EPROM, hopefully that will solve the problem.

GummiTZ said:

Yes.

Things happen in this world. The Axe-FX, which I consider MILES over the competition concerning reliability, is still a machine that can break down. Even part time giggers have to consider a backup to the regular rig. I'd get a 'backup' Standard if I could afford it. A small combo I'll use if I have a breakdown.

should axe owners hav e abackup EPROM waiting like a spare tube or fuse? How much does the EPROM unit cost?

GummiTZ said:
javajunkie said:
A lot can go wrong with a conventional rig.

True. But strange thing: It seldom does. The things that most often fail (leads, tubes, fuses, batteries etc) is replaceable within a matter of minutes. If it fails on soundcheck, you can be up an running in safe time before the show. If anything goes wrong with the Axe, just pack it up and go home.

Please, don't misunderstand me. This is not critisism of the Axe-FX in particular, I am merely pointing out the risk which applies to all digital equipment. And when your tone relies 100% on it, it is scary.

I have heard the "always have a backup" quote a million times. But, not everyone can afford (or justify to wife) two Axe-Fx's (a Tech 21 pedal in the bag is not sufficient for everyone).

I think it is of utmost importance to keep stability (software-wize) the highest priority when coding for the Axe-FX. I am sure the hardware is best in class.

Digital equipment (that doesn't have a hard drive) generally has less moving parts and can be more reliable many times than solid state. You don't have to worry about a tube going bad, fuses can be replaced just like in a tube amp. A cap fries out on your tube amp, your done too. Thing seldom go wrong in properly designed digital systems. I think (just from what I've seen here - I don't know for sure) that fractal may have had a bad run of EEPROM chips.

Other than the EEPROM, memory, a DSP, display, fan (field replaceable), and battery (field replaceable), everything else would be similar to an analog device.
There hasn't been many, memory, display, or dsp issues at all. EEPROM issues that have happen have all (except this one, AFAIK) happen during firmware updates.

As far as back up, use a cheap modeler like a GT-10, POD, or something. There is plenty of middle ground between a Tech 21 pedal and another Axe-fx.

Mlebofsky and I have an arrangement where one or the other of us can use each others ultra if it goes down. We rarely have the same gigging schedule and live w/in a couple of miles of each other so this works for us.

rsf1977 said:
should axe owners hav e abackup EPROM waiting like a spare tube or fuse? How much does the EPROM unit cost?

Well, since Fractal sends out EEPROMS so quickly, I don't see a need. You don't have time to do surgery anyway in the middle of a gig. Rely on the backup if this happens gig-time.

Well, for us not living in the us (like me, Norway) it takes a while to get the new eprom, even if it is sent right away.

the backup is slightly less portable:

iphone077.jpg

but it will have to do :mrgreen:

i wish line 6 made a cabinet emulation pedal so i could use my Line 6 Uber Metal Pedal into a cab emulation

Back
Top Bottom