Headroom of ART SLA-1 versus SLA-2

Ochanomizu

Inspired
I'm still umming and arring about which Power Amp to go for.

I'll be running it into a 90 watt 8 ohms 1 x 12. If I consider using the "5 times the power rule" as mentioned on some of the other threads, then would the SLA-2 bridged be a better option to allow for more headroom:

SLA-2 Bridged Output Power, 8 ohms 560Watts RMS mono

Do I multply the speaker wattage (90 in this case) by 5 to get 450 as a baseline for my power needs?

I'm just concerned that the SLA-1 bridged at 260 watts would not give enough headroom (based on the 5 times rule)... from reading through the threads, seems it is better option to have more headroom.

Sorry for posting these newbie questions! Seems the more I read through the threads, the more questions that cross my mind!

Cheers

Ochanomizu said:
I'm still umming and arring about which Power Amp to go for.

I'll be running it into a 90 watt 8 ohms 1 x 12. If I consider using the "5 times the power rule" as mentioned on some of the other threads, then would the SLA-2 bridged be a better option to allow for more headroom:

SLA-2 Bridged Output Power, 8 ohms 560Watts RMS mono

Do I multply the speaker wattage (90 in this case) by 5 to get 450 as a baseline for my power needs?

I'm just concerned that the SLA-1 bridged at 260 watts would not give enough headroom (based on the 5 times rule)... from reading through the threads, seems it is better option to have more headroom.

Sorry for posting these newbie questions! Seems the more I read through the threads, the more questions that cross my mind!

Cheers

The math is correct, SLA-2 would better serve your 90 watt speaker. Keep in mind your never going to max out volume so try not to focus so much on power ratings but rather look at it from the head room perspective. This is going to shine when your using clean tones as they can chew up head room real quick. I have Bridged my SLA-2 and run it in to a 60 watt speaker and no issues. The way to do this is to establish your perset volumes (using your clean tones as the bench mark) within the presets of the Axe with the output of the Axe set around noon and the masters on the amp wide open. Reason beeing you want the output on the Axe to be better than 9 o'clock. This gives you wiggle room on the output knob for adjusting over all volume levels.

Back
Top Bottom