Headphones anyone?

inkeyes

Inspired
Looking to get a nice pair of headphones to take full advantage of my new ultra, unfortunately I have to keep the noise down quite often so pumping it out through some tasty monitors is not really an option.
However, there seems to be about bazillion models available and each make reckons they're the best and chucks numbers and specs at me.
I thought your guys opinions would be way more helpful to me.

So, what are you using? what do you recommend?

I dont want to spend an absolute bomb but Im willing to spend quite a bit as these are needed and will be used alot.

Thanks in advance

I have Sennheiser HD-650 which are superb. But pricey.

Previously used Sony 7506 which are excellent at a more economical price but there are quite a number of good cans out there.

I have some Sony MDR-V600 ($100 I think) and the high end sounds awesome! But the low end leaves something to be desired... the bass response is very low... most of my mixes used to be bass heavy, now they are treble heavy! hahahahaha I need some better headphones too!

How are those Alessandro MS1?

mwd said:

Previously used Sony 7506 which are excellent at a more economical price but there are quite a number of good cans out there.

I've got some HD-465 & they're the best headphones I've EVER used in any application. I've really enjoyed the Senn headphones I've had (2nd pair).

Luckily, they were given to me at work as a way to not be distracted by people talking in our short cubes.

I too have the Sennheiser HD650. Sound great & sturdy construction. Love em.

Not cheap though. Then what is these days?

HD650, HD600 and HD580 are all great. (same driver)
I love AKG as well. (K240DF if you can find one)

Sony is OK, it's a different animal, it's loud and boosted.
MDR-V600 has a 40mm driver, I suggest you go with 50mm regardless of the brand you choose.

;)

If you're going to mainly be using your headphones for dialing in your tones/recording etc, I'd recommend splurging and getting some mastering quality ones that will give you an accurate representation of what your preset actually sounds like. If you're just going to be using them for jamming around, you'll probably be happy with most of the big name brands in the $60-$100 range. They're not super accurate, but good for just jamming quietly.

headphone related question from the Connections and Routings sub-forum:

ok,

just ordered my standard so i'm getting ready to receive it in the next couple of days,

i plan on using it with a mesa 2:90 and a mesa cab live but I also plan to make some studio patch to use DI

i would realy like to be able to monitor myself through headphone.

I plan on using output 2 (through the fx loop out ) so i can set a volume on the front panel and using a insert cable (2 mono male 1/4 plug to 1 stereo male 1/4 plug) to an 1/4 stereo female to 1/8 stereo female adaptor (in wich i'll plug my headphone).

so here is my question:

will this work? do I need to consider impedence of the axe output to my headphone? will i break something? is there a better way to use the axe direct to headphone?

if something is unclear, just let me know, I usualy speak french canadian...

thanx

Nico

mwd said:
:D ! Same here ! Best headphones I've ever used. Sennheiser has a new model out though I'm really interested in....but some people buy cars for that kinda money :lol:

edit...the 650 are also very accurate.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, the HD650s do look awesome, however i think they're a little outside my budget, although i may persuade myself differently.
I just can't quite justify the price, Im not doing any kind of pro mixing, i just want a pair that will complement my axe-fx and give me a great sound (Im well aware thats a lot to ask when Im playing)
Does anyone have any experience with either:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

or

AKG K 240 MK II

or similar price range?

Also, i notice the 770's come in 80 OHM or 250 OHM impedance, would they have different applications? what would i be after?

Is it really worth forking out almost twice as much for the HD650s?

I bought a brand new set of DT770 Pro's on eBay for $149 and they are fantastic...I really love these headphones...I use them for day to day listening and for tracking with the AxeFX

inkeyes said:
Also, i notice the 770's come in 80 OHM or 250 OHM impedance, would they have different applications? what would i be after?

Is it really worth forking out almost twice as much for the HD650s?

The higher OHMs will give you a flat response but you will need some "beefy" equipment to drive it. (not for your average $299 stereo equipment and definitely nothing battery operated like an iPod)

Most headphones in recording studios (like the K240) are 600 Ohms but they use a dedicated headphone amp to drive them.

HD650??... well if you do any studio mixing it's probably worth it.
By the way the HD650's are 300 Ohms.
;)

AKG K 240 MK II here :cool:

Low impedency (55 ohm if I remember well), can even be used direct in the axe's output (but it'll sound mono of course).

Very good headphones, i can stay all day with them on the head without pain, they sound very good and "plain" (I compared once with a Beyer DT770, it sounded more "plain" with the AKG), sorry for the non professional terms... I mean nothing seems too flat or too high, perfect for the Axe...

I use it this way : Axe FX -> TC Electronic Konnekt 8 -> AKG and it works very fine. :cool:

Running out of an audio interface would i need a separate head phone amp? if so, from what kind of impedance and upwards?

Back
Top Bottom