• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

HD500 as MIDI controller for Ultra

Jay Jordan

I just picked up a used Ultra that I'm trying to figure out how to control with my HD500 set up as a MIDI contoller. I have pretty much read both manuals cover to cover but all the MIDI language is greek to me, plus the Ultra has a pretty high learning curve for a simpleton such as myself. I downloaded one HD500 patch that someone had posted that at least has the two communicating, but I still need to learn how to properly set up the Ultra for the wah to be controlled etc. The instructions for the patch I found applied to a II and apparently there are some minor differences between the two.

Would anybody mind taking a minute to give me some simple instructions how to accomplish this? What I want to do in the end is set up 3 or 4 different Ultra signal chains which would give me a clean, crunch, and a couple of lead channels. Hopefully I can access them via the channel switches on the HD500. Once selected, then I want to use the 8 footswitches to access effects. I'd also like to use the pedal on the HD500 to control the volume and wah. Am I asking too much or can this be done? Obviously the Fractal is far superior to the HD500, which I have only used for basic effects through an amp. Trying to adapt the HD500 here instead of tossing it and starting over with a different MIDI controller.

Thanks in advance!

The biggest thing is write down the cc numbers from the menu from the ultra. Those are the number you need to program into the 500 to assign each number for effect. I don't have my wah set up on my 500, but have effects on off top row and bottom 4 to change patches. If you pm me I can e mail you my 500 preset so you can start with that.

The biggest thing is write down the cc numbers from the menu from the ultra. Those are the number you need to program into the 500 to assign each number for effect. I don't have my wah set up on my 500, but have effects on off top row and bottom 4 to change patches. If you pm me I can e mail you my 500 preset so you can start with that.

Thanks JV. I did get some of the programming language figured out after fooling with it all day. Obviously everything has to be set perfect for it to communicate properly. Most manuals assume you have a working knowledge of whatever you're fooling with instead of giving you a step by step.

How do you find the HD500 works with the Fractal? I'm still learning the Fractal but probably won't wind up using more than 4-5 of the amp sims. But if the Fractal controller is a big advantage I'll probably go ahead and get one. Seems like like the HD500 would be a good back up to get through a gig in a worst case.

Thanks JV. I did get some of the programming language figured out after fooling with it all day. Obviously everything has to be set perfect for it to communicate properly. Most manuals assume you have a working knowledge of whatever you're fooling with instead of giving you a step by step.

How do you find the HD500 works with the Fractal? I'm still learning the Fractal but probably won't wind up using more than 4-5 of the amp sims. But if the Fractal controller is a big advantage I'll probably go ahead and get one. Seems like like the HD500 would be a good back up to get through a gig in a worst case.

It does work nicely. You can name the patches too so they can match up with what's on your ultra. All the controls work seemlessly for me. I eventually would like an mfc also, but for now I would rather save some gig money up for an axe 2 while keeping my standard as a back up.

I posted a couple of patches on the Line 6 site for this purpose. You can find them here. Hope they help.

I did get one of those AZG and started with it as a basis and to learn from, so thanks a lot for posting that. I would have been lost with out it. I just had to learn how to tweak everything on the HD500 and how to set up the wah pedal on the Fractal, etc. Not much in the instructions on "how to". Everybody assumes I smarter than I am. Including me sometimes, heh....

Back
Top Bottom