Have you heard those Pod HD sound sample??

dupere11497

Experienced
Is it me or it just sound like....total digital crap..just like the so call old pod generation. Seems to me like a big marketing b..sh.... to make you believe this product is actually way better than the original pod. Well, to my 34 years old good musical ears, it sounds just te same as it use to!!! hey'll make you believe thei products are in the same ballpark than the Axefx for a gran less, yeah right!! Would you expect a Honda to achieve the same performance than a Ferrari?? Of course not and that's why a Ferrari cost 500000$. Just like the Axefx, it is built in a single little shop, custom made, handbuilt with passion, love and respect. You won't get this uniqueness out of a product they spend more on marketing and publicity than on the product itself. So, please Cliff, don't you ever kill the magic, don't you ever associate your product to big names without souls nor vision, stay the way you are, boutique style.... one axefx to rule them all!!! Line6 stuff will always be like toys for me. The axe is and will always be my only rig, period!!! Thank you!!

When you listen to the PODx3 samples and then the POD HD, you would really not guess that "13 years of digital modelling experience" and "over 3 years of research & development" brought them to the POD HD.... :lol:

It still sound like a POD.... maybe a LITTLE bit better POD, but still a POD... (honestly, I don't hear much of a difference between the PODx3 samples and the POD HD)
Good for that price range, although I'd say they're leaning a bit too much towards the 11R's price range....
I'd rather save up and buy the 11R.. (If I didn't have an Axe-FX :mrgreen: )
I saw a price for the POD HD500 somewhere for like $699!!!!!! :eek:
then I googled a price for the 11R saw one for $799!!!
:shock: I'm still trying to figure it out....

Cheers to the "Lord of the Rigs" :mrgreen:

Assuming you can't bank on youtube, I checked out the clips on the line6 site. Ugh. I think I liked the plexi one. The rest of the samples are nothing that even vaguely interested me. Pretty disappointed. I was looking at it as a grab and go/practice thing for when I am too lazy to grab my rack.

You can't really tell from online samples.
I think that for a lot of people this all-in-one product will ideal.
Bit strange selection of amps though.

I listened to all the samples (well, actually, I pretty much skipped over all the saturated effects samples as they're just hype, IMO) and I did notice better high end articulation and complexity to the crunch/breaking up tones. Apart from those tones, there isn't much great tone when comparing to a real tube amp or the Axe-Fx. The clean tone was clean but not warm and chimey. The high gain amps were too fizzy and lacked the real crunching definition of real high gain amps. Yes, it's a little step forward from Line6 but more overhyping than anything. I guess they're trying to compete more with all the artists switching over to the Axe-Fx.

Hmmm.. well I listened to most of the clips on the web and youtube. My ears tell me that it sound just like a normal pod. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shrug. Line6 has always put up awful clips. Those are bad enough to make people skip trying it out. Whatever.

LOL@ lord of the rigs--that should stick.

Even worse are online demos of the Hughes and Ketner Coreblade. I've never heard something high-gain with so much fizz and loose low end! I wish I could afford a Triamp though...

I was really hoping that Line6 would come up with the goods, after all competition only pushes the boundaries further. I didn't like the sound of most of the clips but they are pushing the playing experience and dynamics which you can't evaluate from sound samples. I'll reserve judgement until I've played one, but I think my Axe-Fx will be safe for the time being ;) :D

I was actually hoping the HD-series would be decent and I haven't given up yet. I mean... all we've heard are factory presets and never liked Axe-Fx factory presets either so. Still... it doesn't have a Diezel amp. The Recto and Uber clips I heard sounded nothing like Bogner or Mesa.

The power amp DT50 sounds interesting also.

A funny thing happened. This one guy (at another forum) has been bashing me for using Axe-Fx and how bad/digital it sounds etc. although he didn't pass my "which amp is real" test. Okay now he heard those Line6 clips and he's like: "those clips sound really good!!". :lol: I just don't get these people. I'm sure it has everything to do with them being cheap with their guitar gear. A POD that sounds like crap sounds amazing if it's only 500€. But an Axe-Fx that sounds amazing sounds like shit because it's 1700€. We live in a world of jealousy and insecurity.

Clark Kent said:
A funny thing happened. This one guy (at another forum) has been bashing me for using Axe-Fx and how bad/digital it sounds etc. although he didn't pass my "which amp is real" test. Okay now he heard those Line6 clips and he's like: "those clips sound really good!!". :lol: I just don't get these people. I'm sure it has everything to do with them being cheap with their guitar gear. A POD that sounds like crap sounds amazing if it's only 500€. But an Axe-Fx that sounds amazing sounds like shit because it's 1700€. We live in a world of jealousy and insecurity.

The worst examples of this I have seen is with PRS guitars. Non owners and never will be owners knocking them. I have a Custom 24 and it's worth every penny of the 2K I paid for it. I just can't be bothered to argue the toss any more and I don't have to justify how I spend my money to anyone.

POB said:
The worst examples of this I have seen is with PRS guitars. Non owners and never will be owners knocking them. I have a Custom 24 and it's worth every penny of the 2K I paid for it. I just can't be bothered to argue the toss any more and I don't have to justify how I spend my money to anyone.

This has happened to me too. TBH my best guitars are the PRS Navarro Custom 24 and the 1990 CE-24. The CE has a thinner neck and a more unique sound and the Custom 24 is creamy as hell. Anyways I've owned a looooot of guitars (although I'm only 23yo) I've sold most of them but these will always stay in the collection because every single time we have a recording and we test out guitars it's one of these PRS guitars that stands out as the best one. I have owned a Gibson Les Paul and the PRS has more beef. Then again strats are very harsh sounding when compared to PRS. These guitars just ROCK! Still... seems like people without experience with neither the Axe-Fx or PRS guitars have the most criticism.

From the clips I've heard, I don't think they've really made that much progress on the modeling side of things. The cleans and lower gain stuff didn't sound too bad, but the high gain stuff in particular sounded like the same old thin, fizzy Line 6 stuff. The JCM800 in particular sounded fairly horrible to me.

I'd like to think it's just Line 6 being terrible at making clips and that it's too early for others to have really spent much time with it. But nice amp brightness and fizzy digital high end aren't the same thing. Sure you could low pass or peak EQ bits of ugly high end out, but the point is that they've supposedly mega-improved their modeling, so we shouldn't have to do that anymore. :?

Whatever... I wasn't really interested as a buyer anyway. I'm happy with my Axe-FX, I was just more curious to see if maybe Line 6 had finally stepped up their game. Even if they didn't decide to take on Cliff with a higher end modeler, just raising the bar in their own market would have been interesting.

DNW said:
From the clips I've heard, I don't think they've really made that much progress on the modeling side of things. The cleans and lower gain stuff didn't sound too bad, but the high gain stuff in particular sounded like the same old thin, fizzy Line 6 stuff. The JCM800 in particular sounded fairly horrible to me.

I'd like to think it's just Line 6 being terrible at making clips and that it's too early for others to have really spent much time with it. But nice amp brightness and fizzy digital high end aren't the same thing. Sure you could low pass or peak EQ bits of ugly high end out, but the point is that they've supposedly mega-improved their modeling, so we shouldn't have to do that anymore. :?

That's funny, I thought their high gain clips sounded best and the cleans and low mid gain sounded awful ... :) But I am not a high gain player ... :)

Back
Top Bottom