Has anyone played AxeFXII through the new Mackie DLM 12?

karmakarmakarma

Experienced
Hi all,

I know there has been a mention of two lately in this section on the new Mackie DLM12, but I was wondering if anyone has tried them in person with an AxeFXII. I need a really compact full range powered monitor for church use each week (read: not a ton of volume), and I like the appeal of the very light weight and good specs.

Any insight from folks who have tried them in person is appreciated.

Thanks
I've been thinking about the same thing. Without ever seeing, or hearing, one in person it's hard to tell. I like the cube shape of it to put a rack on tap. Now as long as it sounds good.

I've been thinking about the same thing. Without ever seeing, or hearing, one in person it's hard to tell. I like the cube shape of it to put a rack on tap. Now as long as it sounds good.

Guitar center has these so if there's one close by, just bring your axe and guitar and play through them one early morning. I'm actually surprised these haven't been more popular with axe owners. They are small, light, and relatively inexpensive. I heard a mix through them but I don't really know how they sound.

I haven't played one through the 12", but I did try my Axe through a DLM8. I thought it sounded very good. In the room I had a Mackie 12" Thump, a JBL EON10 G2 and a QSC K10 that I compared it to. I found the Solo setting to be the most satisfying to me. I thought it definitely sounded flatter and more true to the real sound than any of the other options I had there. It was not lacking in bass. I feel that most 12" FRFR solutions have too much bass and end up sounding boomy. The DLM8 had enough bass in my estimation, but never sounded boomy. It can get pretty loud, but not quite as loud as the K10 (it is only an 8" speaker after all). It is an extremely compact and convenient package. I don't think it would carry you if you wanted to use it as the backline of a loud rock band if you weren't going through the FOH, but as a personal monitor, it sounded very very good. Of course if you need that kind of volume, you could get more than one ;o) Even two of them together would be smaller than the K10. It also had great dispersion. There was almost no change in tone as I moved around the room. The same could not be said of any of the other FRFR units I compared it to. I am personally waiting on an Atomic Wedge, but if there were no Atomic (or the Atomic fails to impress me) I would get a DLM8.

I have a DLM12 and I love it. Compact, light weight, really good sounding unit, flexible EQ control for what ever room your playing in, powerful volume, convenient shoulder carrying case, just an all around perfect solution for me in a FRFR unit. Works for me and I didn't have to wait for it. Well worth it!

these interest me soo much.. But, I decided solely for the fact there are no used ones on the market so the prices for a new DLM8 are still ~700, that for now I will get a EV ZXA1 which is half that price, and see if I like it. I want t like it so much, it looks great and has great size and weight (slightly better than the DLM8) so If I like this, I'll be happy, and if not I'll pick up the DLM8.

Im not super picky about my tone like most people here; I bought the Matrix Q12 thinking it would "magically" make my tone $1000 better than my cheap EV SX300A, but honesty it wasnt that much better, the EV held its own very convincingly with the AxeFX II (with the Ultra, thats a different story) So my experience so far is the II seems to compensate easier for "lesser" speakers, to where even a cheap old speaker can sound great with minimal tweaking. So the Matrix Q12 sold in favor of the smaller/lighter speakers.

Interesting tidbit, on one of the youtubes of these I read a poster representing Mackie (John Boudreau SVP) typing that much of the design of the speaker and box came from EAW. I think LOUD owns both and though different entities, EAW was involved.

I'm close to getting the DLM8. I put together those Kustom/Scorpion I posted about and love them but they are still 21x17x13 and weigh close to 40lbs. I have bad shoulders and hurt myself putting them on their stands. I don't think I want to gig them.

These DLM8's have to be the smallest things I think I have ever seen. The dispersion is pretty damn good too I read. A poster at TGP posted about them in a FRFR thread and I pm'd him. He was kind enough to respond wih a review. He plays an Axe II through them and loves them. He also has the K10 and prefers the DLM8 with the Axe II.

EDIT: Just ordered from Sweetwater. Not in stock but it says a few days. I liked the extra warranty stuff .

Last edited:
I'm wondering if 2 DLM8's would work not only for gigging but as studio monitors at home so that you what you set up on at home is what you play thru on stage.

Ordered from Sweetwater last Sunday. They shipped this morning. Had to wait for supply and there were problems I'm told.

I have been using one. I like it but I did need to adjust the built in EQ on the cab to get things sounding good. Overall I think it is a good pairing, it is certainly very portable and has lots of volume.

Hi Jerry, thinking of trying a pair from Sam Ash till the CLR's show. What pickups are you using and what eq adjustments did settle on? Thanks Klaus

I mainly use a stock Gibson 335 and a Suhr Modern. The EQ was mostly rolling off some bass and highs, it stores the EQ preset so it always sounds good and is easy to adjust for the room. I do think my home studio sound (full range monitors) and the Mackie is pretty close.

Just got back from the music store. The DLM 12s are amazing. They are full range but sound very much like you are playing through a guitar cabinet. It has plenty of volume and the "bite" they have blew me away. They are just bigger than a 1x12 speaker but the cabinet is pleasantly deeper than what I thought it would be. Also with it being coaxial It sounded the same when I wasnt standing directly in front of it. The speaker I am using now is a Line 6 L3T which sounds great but is too large for the stage we play on. This DLM 12 sounds better to me than the Line 6 does. I purchased mine at AmericanMusical.com Right now they have B-Stocks for $689. I prefer these because they have been returned to Mackie with problems and they are repaired hands on and double checked for all potential problems before they go back out for sale. I get the same warranty as new and AmericanMusical gives you a no questions asked additional 1 year warranty when Mackies Expires. So yes, I love them.

Hi, I had a pair of DLM-12's, and a pair of EV ZLX-12P's to compare to the Neo CLR's for a week. In short, there is really no comparison.
BUT that being said, both are half the price of the Neo CLR's, if you get the refurbs. They sounded better than the EV ZLX models (less directional).
The closest I could get to the CLR's with Burstbucker 2 and Burstbucker 3 pups, was using the J-type, preset, if you are at low to moderate levels.
Cut the bass EQ, use the kick stand ,and direct the audio to your face instead of your knees. They will get you off (and running, I meant). Enjoy.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom