Has anyone captured IRs using the Hoovi Deeflexx?

GuitarStu

I just had a search round on the forum and couldn't find any evidence that this has been attempted.

I'm thinking that it could potentially be of interest to those FRFR and headphone players looking to get a more 'Amp in the room' feel.

I would be interested to hear other people's opinions or experiences of this.

Deeflex aims to widen the sound radiation pattern of the actual guitar speaker, I don't see how IR from that would change the amp in the room-feel at all since you are still listening to a static IR. If you like the tone change it does, then it's all good of course.

Yeah the Deeflex spreads your sound in the room better but usually IR's are shot relatively close to the cabinet where you don't have the problem that the Deeflex solves. I haven't tried it so could sound interesting but I feel like it's not meant to enhance miked up tones.

We have shot IRs on the AxeFest Germany 2015. As I am using 2 Deeflexxes for my DIY-Wolverine-loaded 2x12 Cab in my rehearsal room,
I didn't find the IRs, that we shot with the Deeflexx very useful at all.
The inventor of the Deeflexx, Hoovi has indeed some interesting Micing-tips for the Deeflexx.

IMHO, this is a great tool, if you are using a real guitar cab or a FRFR-Cab (but NOT for Wedge-Designs) to spread your guitar tone
over the rehearsal room or stage, but for recording I find it useless. But that's my 2c.

I can appreciate that the deeflexx wouldn't have much of an effect when close micing the cab. I was thinking more along the lines of micing further away so as to capture a balanced/broader range of freqs as opposed to a specific spot on the cone. On second thoughts however, you would loose the proximity effect in this instance.

When I'm not gigging or rehearsing, I am mainly a headphone user at home so I don't disturb my girldfriend. I find using IRs in isolation do not give me the same satisfaction like having an amp in the room, obviously because you don't listen to a real amp with your ear on the speaker cone. The dephase parameter helps to some degree, but I was curoius as to whether deeflexx IRs would help.

As OP mentioned, mixing in deeflexx IRs in Cab Lab have yeilded usable results so I think I will experiment with this to see if it gets me closer to happy headphone playing.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Far-field miking is a different animal all together. The room is a huge factor in how everything sounds when you pull the mic far back as well. If you don't know what you're doing you might have a lot of problems.

Even the length of the Ultra IRs is not enough to capture room in a size you would need. If you want to use long IRs that can do this, you can only get this done with IR-Tools in a sequencer....
Like Aziz said, use Reverb, that will help a lot.

Seems there is a whole other level to IRs that I don't understand :).

I will have a dabble with reverb and see how I go. Thanks for the tip.

Top marks for the recommendation on adding the Medium Room and Ambiance reverb. I've been blending them to taste into my dry signal, as well allowing the Medium Room to bleed into the Ambience reverb block which adds a really nice space. This coupled with the Stereo Enhancer block and adjusting the de-phase (depending on the IR) to taste is really making my headphone sessions a lot more enjoyable.

Thanks again!

Micing a cabinet is a whole different story, than listen to it by ear in the real room. With the deeflexx system, it`s a similiar thing. Hoovi from deeflexx told us some tips&tricks, how to mic with deeflexx, and we did some deeflexx mic.-positions for the cabIR.eu Axe-Fest Library (MR-1960AX-G12M25 & DZ-212FL-G12K100 Cab-Packs):
public.php

deeflexx diffuse the waves, spread it nearly to all directions in 3 dimensions. As an effect, also the reflexions of the room (walls, floor, ground...) increase potentially. So in fact, the listeners sweet spot position in the room widens enormous. It`s a bit, like if you playing a 8x12 full-stack loud in a big room environment: The sound is everywhere, it fills the room completeley...

Micing up with deeflexx, even more doing IRs is another story. You can get with deeflexx mic positions and miced sounds, you won`t get without. But from a "frequency response" point (and phase) point of view exclusiveley - NOT from a "3D `amp-in-the-room` feel" point of view.

The whole "3D `amp-in-the-room` feel" point has more to do with reverb tails, early reflections and (different) run-times of the reflexions, also between your two ears. To transfer these "room listening" experience the most authentic to a headphones experience, using binaural-Head-Mics system would be theoretically the tecnique with the most authentic results. We had the oppurtunity to do some captures with such a (extremely expensive) binaural System from Sennheiser on the DZ-212FL-G12K100 shooting.

Normally room mics and / or back cabinet mic positions will trapping this "room feeling" best. Here an comparison of cab-IRs from nearfield, back-cabinet and two stereo panned room mics positions side by side. Listen with headphones! NO algorithm reverbs or convolution reverbs in the following sound samples! The reverb-effect is the natural reverb in those room/back in the 500ms long cabinet IRs, we include in our Cab-Packs:

If you mix those positions and keep the original run-times (no auto trim, no MPT, but authentic RAW files) at least of the room and back cabinet IRs you can get a result like this:

Note, that this sample based on IRs with 500ms length, enough to reproduce the reverb tails, the room reflections produce. The Axe-Fx`es Ultra-Res format represent not such lengths, because realtime convolution cost tremendous CPU processing, Ultra Res represent 170ms 8192 Samples. Far more, than every other hardware solution. Far enough to represent ultra-realsitic close-mic captures. Also long enough to represent first room reverb influences, but NOT long enough to represent the full length of room/ambient mics reverb trails of NOT completely (!) dry rooms/environments.

As an result, Ultra-Res truncate IRs to 170ms - an effect like a "gated reverb" is the result, IF (!) the content of the IR reflect much "reverb" (loud and long, as you`ll find it normally in room and/or back cabinet positions). For close micing positions, this length is by far long enough!

Here a second example: Same sample, but with truncated time at 170ms (which Ultra-res reflects):

Only this effect was the reason for the decision to offer two sample-lengths in our "pro IR series", like the cabIR.eu OR-4X12. Beside the 500ms version a especially prepared .wav format, prepared for conversion into the Axe-Fx UR format: A 170ms (8192 Samples) long version, which did NOT truncate the reverb tail tail after 170ms, but fade it smoothly out within the time, Ultra-Res format represents. And that`s what it sounds then:

1. 500ms truncate to Ultra-Res (170ms) - 2. 170ms fade out version - 3. 500ms full length:
ONLY Stereo panned room mics + rear-cabinet mic position:

Like above, but with Close-Mic. mixed in addition:

Hope this helps a bit to understand the whole thematic :)

(soundsamples above are just test-mixes for the AMBIENT-Mix ratios for the new cabIR.eu "pro IR series", but not the cabIR.eu OR-4X12, which is the first released Cab-Pack from this series...)

Last edited:
@Morphosis - Thank you very much for your in depth, insightful response and demonstration sound clips. It has really helped me understand the conundrum of IRs a bit more and appreciate some of the various factors being considered when capturing IRs. I am sure there is still plenty to learn and many more factors to take into consideration however :)

Listening to your sound clips I do really hear the difference between the 500ms vs the truncated 170ms IRs. I can hear the 500ms preserving the natural decay tails heard in a room, and the truncated 170ms, as you mentioned, sounds like a gated reverb. I love your demonstration of the various mic position mixed in...very cool.

The stereo pair of room mics demonstrated in your first clip IMO gives me the closest "amp in the room" feel that I am used to. Just out of interest, was this particular clip captured with diffusion from the Deeflex?

This has all been good food for thought, to the point where I would kinda like to start my own mix blends and experimentations.

@MorphosisThe stereo pair of room mics demonstrated in your first clip IMO gives me the closest "amp in the room" feel that I am used to. Just out of interest, was this particular clip captured with diffusion from the Deeflex?

No deeflexx used. All the samples above were exclusively done with some cab-IRs from the "pro IR series", like also the OR-4X12 is. You just heard "back cabinet-", "room-" and "close-Mic.-" positioned IRs and/or mixes in different samples lenght / truncations...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom