Has anyone built a cab (or know of any commercially available cabs) to also house the Axe FX III

dschaaf

Experienced
I presently have my Axe FX III in a rack head unit but would ideally love to have a deep 1x12 cabinet or 2x12 cabinet that had the Axe FX III top mounted behind the speaker.

Just wondering if anyone has built one of these or conversely are aware of any cabs that are commercially available that might suit this need. I thought I recalled sometime ago Xitone building something similar?

Thanks,
Derek

Last edited:
I build two of this cab powered with a yamaha PX3 in stereo. and I never look back to my tube amp anymore since. i can feel the thump...

View attachment 126962
Thanks and that looks awesome!

I found a picture of one of the old XiTone ones and this is along the lines of what I'm looking for. The only main differences is that I am wanting the Axe FX III mounted on the top back (vertically) in behind the speaker. I am sure that I saw one of these at one point in time from XiTone as well.

Thanks,
Derek

Attachments

• CleanShot 2023-09-20 at 09.49.34@2x.jpg
    CleanShot 2023-09-20 at 09.49.34@2x.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 97
  • CleanShot 2023-09-20 at 09.49.50@2x.jpg
    CleanShot 2023-09-20 at 09.49.50@2x.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 94
You want the Axe mounted kind of like a tweed amp with the controls facing up? That would be a pretty big cabinet.
Yes exactly! I do realize that would make the cabinet quite large and deep but I do not play out and this is purely for a set up in my home studio. I like the thought of the controls facing upward as I can just walk over and tweak things more easily pointing down then with things horizontal and having to squat down.

Thanks,
Derek

Thanks and that looks awesome!

I found a picture of one of the old XiTone ones and this is along the lines of what I'm looking for. The only main differences is that I am wanting the Axe FX III mounted on the top back (vertically) in behind the speaker. I am sure that I saw one of these at one point in time from XiTone as well.

Thanks,
Derek
That’s pretty dope

Yes exactly! I do realize that would make the cabinet quite large and deep but I do not play out and this is purely for a set up in my home studio. I like the thought of the controls facing upward as I can just walk over and tweak things more easily pointing down then with things horizontal and having to squat down.

Thanks,
Derek
Nice concept indeed…

So you want to mount the Axe vertically inside of a cabinet, with little to no ventilation, in close proximity to large magnets, while the SPL shakes the bejesus out of it? What could possibly go wrong?
Haha, when you put it that way it does sound like an accident waiting to happen. Might have to re-think the vertical/behind the speaker portion :)

There may be reason to be concerned if you do this. A few weeks ago, I was thinking of placing my Axe-Fx III on top of our sub-woofer (low power of around 100 watts output) but I was concerned that all the vibration generated by the speaker might shake loose some of the ribbon cable connectors located inside the AF3. So, I asked others here on the forum if my fears were justified, or if I was being overly concerned. A number of the more senior members of this forum, along with some of newer members like myself, responded that there was indeed a risk of causing connectors to become detached by vibration…in addition to other mechanical issues that could be caused by the close coupling of the unit and the speaker cabinet due to induced vibration.

Obviously, the louder the output of the speaker cabinet will operate the more induced vibration the unit will be subjected-to and, therefore, the more potential mechanical issues could could occur.

Just my two cents.

There may be reason to be concerned if you do this. A few weeks ago, I was thinking of placing my Axe-Fx III on top of our sub-woofer (low power of around 100 watts output) but I was concerned that all the vibration generated by the speaker might shake loose some of the ribbon cable connectors located inside the AF3. So, I asked others here on the forum if my fears were justified, or if I was being overly concerned. A number of the more senior members of this forum, along with some of newer members like myself, responded that there was indeed a risk of causing connectors to become detached by vibration…in addition to other mechanical issues that could be caused by the close coupling of the unit and the speaker cabinet due to induced vibration.

Obviously, the louder the output of the speaker cabinet will operate the more induced vibration the unit will be subjected-to and, therefore, the more potential mechanical issues could could occur.

Just my two cents.
Great info, thank you! I think I have decided to go a different route so I do greatly appreciate everyone's feedback.

Back
Top Bottom