Harmonizer in the Axe FX 2

He's good isn't he..?
wink.gif

Yes, he is!

for the boys are back in town, you can use the intel harmoniser. set the key to Ab if you're a half step down and set scale to custom. set the number of notes to 6 and make them C, D, E, F, G, A. the voices need to be set to +3 or -3 (depending which part you play).

this works for the main riff, but doesn't work for the solo section, because two different harmonies are used there.

for the solo section, you need to use the intel harmoniser set to mixolydian. voice 1 = -3 and voice 2 = -4. you play the top line (that starts on E) and use -3 for the first two notes and -4 for the next 3 notes and then back to -3. i use a cc pedal to change between the voices.

(Darth Vader voiceover) Impressive.

Now how about that 'Two Tickets?'

My best results with the Pitch Block come from using a 2 amp block setup where the harmonizer follows it's own Amp and dialed in @ 100% mix, with less gain, more focused mids, less treble/presence and completely rolled off bass. This gives a better track and shift and a smoother harmony IMO.

I also do all my presets in stereo.

Thank you Simeon. That works perfect. I still don't totally understand the custom harmony thing but I think I can figure it out now. thank you. eeeeyeah!! I guess not. Now I'm on to Two Tickets to paradise. actual key Bb. jeesh I really don't get it:(been playing guitar 50 years now by ear. I can hear any kind of harmony but to tell you what the hell it is. well thats apparently the problem.:) any help would be appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
My tip would be study theory. I'm self-directed/taught, and I find the most frustrating part about theory-less guitarists is that they're often great guitarists but not great musicians - you can't talk to them musically. It has its pluses when you're forced to jive with them, but being able to say "sixths in melodic minor" and just do it is pretty invaluable.

My tip would be study theory. I'm self-directed/taught, and I find the most frustrating part about theory-less guitarists is that they're often great guitarists but not great musicians - you can't talk to them musically. It has its pluses when you're forced to jive with them, but being able to say "sixths in melodic minor" and just do it is pretty invaluable.

Thanks for the tip:)

for the boys are back in town, you can use the intel harmoniser. set the key to Ab if you're a half step down and set scale to custom. set the number of notes to 6 and make them C, D, E, F, G, A. the voices need to be set to +3 or -3 (depending which part you play).

this works for the main riff, but doesn't work for the solo section, because two different harmonies are used there.

for the solo section, you need to use the intel harmoniser set to mixolydian. voice 1 = -3 and voice 2 = -4. you play the top line (that starts on E) and use -3 for the first two notes and -4 for the next 3 notes and then back to -3. i use a cc pedal to change between the voices.
Hi Simeon!! How would you set up the harmony scale for two tickets to paradise? I play it in standrad 440 tuning and wanting to create a
harmony for the riff in the beginning...Thanks much!!

+ 1 on using another amp block, but also another IR, for the harmony part. Each voice (direct + harmony) having its own distinct sound helps to sound like two guitarists playing together
This sounds like a great idea. I like that. Definitely should try it this week.

the axe harmoniser smokes. even better than the eventide eclipse, if you ask me. if you're not getting good results, then you're doing it wrong. explain what you need and we'll explain how you set it up
I had a pitch factor and the axe crushes it. Tracking wasn't good on fast passages and it wasn't as flexible. Experiment with it in different parts of the chain. Sometimes it sounds better before the amp, sometimes after, depending on what you're doing. Or hell, try between amp and cab.

The pitch block sounds better after the amp because the harmonizer block is acting upon all of the harmonics that the amp model is accentuating (which is effing amazing to me), as opposed to just what is coming from the guitar in before-the-amp chain.

here you go. it's just mixolydian up a third

the original has root panned left and right, so i used the enhancer to split and i doubled the harmony for richness
I thought I had thanked you for doing this but for some reason I dont see it and wanted to make sure you knew i was extremely GRATEFUL for your help Simeon!!!!!

here you go. it's just mixolydian up a third

the original has root panned left and right, so i used the enhancer to split and i doubled the harmony for richness

Don't forget guys that Simeon really deserves a little donation if possible, for the amazing job he is doing by sharing his presets / work....;)
Same goes for guys like Fremen and Chris / Axe Tutorials of course...and others....:)

Hi,
I just found your post from a while ago, regarding the 'harmoniser 'function. Did you ever write any further advice on this subject anywhere?
I've had my Axe a few weeks and have got a reasonable insight into it… However, after using a Boss GT100 and its harmoniser, this one doesn't seem so easy to work. With the Boss, it was a case of inserting the key, major or minor basically, and Boston/Thin Lizzy here we go!
The Axe doesn't seem so user friendly, at first glance. I really don't know, as I have zero experience with this function. Any inspiring words mate? :)

dang.....I need to study more.......

so cool......would give anything to be at this level of understanding

Back
Top Bottom