Guitar tone archive

JJunkie

Power User
Hey guys,

Just to start off, I don't actually use an axe-fx II, but I have used tone matching in my DAW and occasionally its useful, but mostly its just lots of fun. Anyway, I do own a meagre collection of guitars, and at times there has been struggles to get a good matched tone, for example, of an artist that uses a tele. All my guitars are humbucking and I can only get closer to strat or tele sounds with one of my guitars, which has a coil tap, but probably isn't quite enough to get me to a good base guitar tone happening before the amp sim. Without a good dry guitar tone, the tone match will probably not be 100%. For example, try to match a "woman tone" with your guitar tone pot at 10.

I have been using TM for over a year now. To do it well, you need a good representative dry guitar tone and input level appropriate for the instrument (i.e. theres no point going for that tele sound with a humbucking guitar at full volume. It will drive the amp sim too much).

Studio tones often have considerable compression applied during and/or after recording, and trying to account for this can make a good TM not as simple as it seems. That aside, the purpose of this post is to discuss getting the dry guitar tone right. From my experience, this doesn't matter much for high gain stuff. Its really the "clean" and low and medium gain tones that I find are most dependant on / sensitive to the guitar signal feeding them.

Now to the point: I think it would be great to start up a collection of dry guitar tones (e.g. wav audio clips of a guitar running through the axe-fx on bypass), especially for classic types. I'm having a real hard time finding clips like this on the net (because it sounds boring).

the guitar should have reasonably new strings for the clips, and all pickup positions should be recorded. Information on the guitar, pickups, action, string guage, pick type should be provided with the clips. Also, for consistency sake, a standard tempo and riff should be adopted in all samples. Another thing: Very important to set a consistent reference volume level, so that relatively speaking, single coil and humbucking signals are well represented in the archive

I don't believe this can make an LP sound like a tele or strat, but I do believe that between guitars of the same string gauge and pickup type, that different pickup models can probably be tone matched.

What do you guys think? Something like this should be pretty easy to get set up with soundcloud??

I think we would just have to agree on some requirements before running with it (e.g. how to achieve a reference volume level? Axe-fx input and output at noon?... what should the standard riff be???)

EQ is one part, but the output levels of the pickups will result in different amounts of gain. if you have the same signal strength coming out of the guitar i would think you could get pretty close.

@JJunkie
I agree. Matching will work best with same or similar guitars, pickup location, strings, etc.

Back when I was having a hard time with the changes between firmware (when I got reamed about A/B testing which now is in full swing due to TMA!) I looked for reference material to help with A/B testing but came up with next to nothing. There is a reference CD out there but I haven't tracked it down. From what I recall, it covered the major guitar types, pickups, positions, and some amps with a variety of settings.

This would be indispensable as a tool for comparison purposes. If I have time, I'd like to collect reference material for my guitars. Unfortunately, I'd need to hire a session player so that the reference would be as accurate as possible.

For me, it's all about having a palette to pick and choose from. That's what's great about the AxeFX on the amp/effects side. Now we just need something similar on the guitar side. I've tried the Roland COSM stuff and the variax but I'm not fond of either. We'll see if the auto-tune board is any good but as someone else said on the board, it's probably going to take someone like Cliff to do for the physical guitar what he did amps.

Your best source for this is pickup manufacturer sites. They have tons of clips of their pickups recorded clean and dirty in all positions.
Off hand, I think DiMarzio has some, Seymour has some, I know Kinman has clips as well. I'm sure with a little research, you can rustle up a whole collection from this source.

Your best source for this is pickup manufacturer sites. They have tons of clips of their pickups recorded clean and dirty in all positions.
Off hand, I think DiMarzio has some, Seymour has some, I know Kinman has clips as well. I'm sure with a little research, you can rustle up a whole collection from this source.

the biggest problem with those clips is that they have already been run through a guitar amplifier.

EQ is one part, but the output levels of the pickups will result in different amounts of gain. if you have the same signal strength coming out of the guitar i would think you could get pretty close.

I think it could work like this:

- record sample clip with axe-fx input and output at noon. If everybody does it this way, then the clips should be levelled correctly, relative to each other

- download the clip of your choice and tone match it. No amp block, no cab block. You just want to match the dry guitar signal. Levels probably don't matter at this point (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that the TMA block will normalise the signal levels when analysing them... at least, thats what Ozone seems to do)

- export the TMA to a user cab (the reason for this is because you may want to use the TMA later to match an artist's rig, after you have got the dry guitar tone right)

- Now set axe input as you normally would, but keep output at noon (for now). Play the sample clip of the guitar you just matched, and play your guitar through the user cab at the same time. Correct for pickup "output level" by setting a null filter at the start of the chain and adjust by ear. Match the volume level to the sample clip. Now you're set to go. You can now set axe-fx output knob as you normally would.

- If the guitar your'e trying to match has a higher output than your physical guitar, its up to you whether you want to adjust the axe-fx input knob, or just settle for a lower level that won't cause clipping at the input (i'd take the second option)....EDIT: scratch that. null filter boost would still work

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom