Ground loop? issue

dkijc

Experienced
Hey guys,

If there is any thread I've missed you can direct me to there but I couldn't find any. :(
I have the AxeFx2 connected to my Hotrod Dlx’s effects loop and I’m getting a hum/buzz sound.

I thought it was a ground loop issue so I tried connecting the amp to the same powerstrip (1ru furman) the axefx is connected to. Still no good.
So I bought the EbTech Hum X and hooked the amp’s power with the Hum x. Still no good.
I connected the EbTech Hum X to the furman and hooked the axefx and the amp to the furman. Still no good.
The last resort I am going to try is to purchase another EbTech product but this is not eliminating through the power but between instrument cables.

I don’t know what else to try. IF this is a ground loop issue and the house/studio/stage I’m using my gear in has ground loop issue would HumX or other methods help at all?This happens at my home and also at my church.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hope this video is helpful

Weird, i was about to ask a similar question.I also get a lot of hum with my Ax8 (into a Mackie mixer and Xiton) and Axe2 into a Clr.

They all run into the same power strip.

Is it also ok to have thw two into separate power strips, bu all going into the same wall outlet?

I use Radial ABY bixes because those have a ISO whuch helps. I've also tried Ebtech and it helps a little but not 100%.

In my studio, i wanted a star grounding, but thenekectrician had no idea what i was talking about, but all the outlets go to the same breaker.

did you try other cables like XLR cable ?
I have not. Since I was trying out with the amps effect's loop. I also have a QSC K12 btw so I could try using an XLR. TY!

Amp plugged into same outlet/power strip as the AxeFx?
I tried both. When in different power outlet I tried hooking up the Hum X to the Amp's outlet since that's where to sound source is.

Weird, i was about to ask a similar question.I also get a lot of hum with my Ax8 (into a Mackie mixer and Xiton) and Axe2 into a Clr.

They all run into the same power strip.

Is it also ok to have thw two into separate power strips, bu all going into the same wall outlet?

I use Radial ABY bixes because those have a ISO whuch helps. I've also tried Ebtech and it helps a little but not 100%.

In my studio, i wanted a star grounding, but thenekectrician had no idea what i was talking about, but all the outlets go to the same breaker.

I'm going to try purchasing https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/535379-REG/Ebtech_HE_2XLR_HE_2_XLR_Dual_Channel.html

Instead of fixing at the outlet this fixes at the audio level. I'll keep you guys posted as I believe this could help others who might be having similar issues :)

Thanks y'all!

Note - i also use humbusters with the AX8. Helps a little. I have two Ebtechs in my studio. I'll grab one and see if that cuts some hum as well.

So I found out.. the Furman that I'm using is a piece of... junk. I tried hooking the amp and the axefx through the furman and THere was still hum. I unplugged the axefx and plugged to an outlet.. plugged the amp another outlet with the Hum X and Voila.. it fixed the issue!!!

Funny thing I found out during this struggle my guitar also becomes and open ground. When I don't have my hands on the string but just have the guitar around my body and I touch and hold my bare hands or feet to the midi controller buttons (MC6) and I hear crackle and hear the tempo clicks through the amp. lol

Electricity is a funny thing.. but either case Hum X and also the HE2XLR (or any isolator) helped!

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll keep you guys posted if I run into any issue from here forth with this grounding issue :)

So I found out.. the Furman that I'm using is a piece of... junk. I tried hooking the amp and the axefx through the furman and THere was still hum. I unplugged the axefx and plugged to an outlet.. plugged the amp another outlet with the Hum X and Voila.. it fixed the issue!!!

Funny thing I found out during this struggle my guitar also becomes and open ground. When I don't have my hands on the string but just have the guitar around my body and I touch and hold my bare hands or feet to the midi controller buttons (MC6) and I hear crackle and hear the tempo clicks through the amp. lol

Electricity is a funny thing.. but either case Hum X and also the HE2XLR (or any isolator) helped!

Thanks everyone for your input! I'll keep you guys posted if I run into any issue from here forth with this grounding issue :)
Hey man! I've got this same issue as we speak! I'm using a mission Engineering Gemini 2 FRFR cab and the hum is so unbearable at zero if I turn amp vol up it's absolutely more unbearable!! I'm running both axe and amp to same wall outlet. Could this be my issue? Ive read that you fixed with hum x and separate outlets but did you fix your issue prior to using hum x while trying separate outlets?

I have to say, thanks to Billbill for bumping this thread. I've heard of the Ebtech Hum X before, but was skeptical if it would indeed fix my specific issue. The HE2XLR however, is a product I was unaware of and looks to be exactly like something I need.

I have to say, thanks to Billbill for bumping this thread. I've heard of the Ebtech Hum X before, but was skeptical if it would indeed fix my specific issue. The HE2XLR however, is a product I was unaware of and looks to be exactly like something I need.

I can testify it works wonders :) THere are cheaper alternatives if you go to amazon but I wanted to support the guys :)

I can testify it works wonders :) THere are cheaper alternatives if you go to amazon but I wanted to support the guys :)
Here's another question for the more experienced. Does this hum kill unit suck tone or output and if so, how do u go about compensating in the AxeFx?

Sounds like your guitar has a grounding issue. Try another one and see whether the problem persists.

Here's another question for the more experienced. Does this hum kill unit suck tone or output and if so, how do u go about compensating in the AxeFx?

I use the older version that has the 1/4" connectors. I would say 'no' to the tone suck... I actually have my external DI box feeding a DI signal via the Ebtech Hum Eliminator into my audio interface, and it creates a pristine DI track.

Back
Top Bottom