Good recording interface for Macbook pro (10.6.2)

grunge782

I'm looking for something pretty simple.

I was thinking that a spdif to firewire would work great. Just something small, simple and high quality sounding to go with my Axe.

Any suggestions?

I'm a Duet user. Love it. Rock solid drivers. Sounds fantastic. But it doesn't have S/PDIF. Not really a big deal. I just connect up to the analog ins. If you really want S/PDIF the MoTU Traveller is pretty snazzy.

I have a duet too. It's really simple when it comes to the interface, but definitely not the cheapest.

One thing to consider if you're on a macbook pro using Firewire. The device is a FW400. So if you daisy chain your FW disks,
they will only operate at 400, not 800. (Yeah, you also need a FW400 - FW800 adapter cable...)
Having your recording software and your recordings on the same disk might bring some performance issues once you get a little deeper into recording. Still, this would not be a reason for me to operate disks or audio interfaces on USB.

If you have the "old" MBP, you can get a belkin PC card with a 2 port FW800 adapter. The new ones have a SD Card reader where the old one had the PC card extension slot. Same thing applies to any other mac configuration that only features one FW800 port.

If you're going to go with a firebox, I'll sell you mine for less than that amazon price. Mine worked fine on windows XP but now that I am on win7 it is not completely working.

Back
Top Bottom