Going FRFR

IEMs are certainly a tempting idea. It will be my next thing after I get a good wedge :) certain gigs actually REQUIRE IEMs.

I use 1 QSC K10 on the floor and a K8 for sidewashing the stage (K8 has a wider dispersion angle)
K10 sits better as a Monitor (you can use a M10 bolt to make K8 a floor monitor)
I love this setup.
QSC settings: Ext Sub to ON (acts as a low cut, cuts lows to the Sub I don't have)
Response?: Flat (I think its called response, the choices are Flat and Vocal boost)

The FBT's are far from flat. For a while it and the QSC's were the speaker of choice around here. What is most important of course is just that you like what you get. A lot of guys used the FBT and QSC still and love them. The there is a company called db technologies I believe that makes a coaxial wedge in the price range of the ones you have mentioned. No one here has tried to it my knowledge but I will say this after switching to the RCF I highly suggest going coaxial. there is def a difference. get the db and try it if you can not swing an rcf though the rcf is worth waiting for

WOW this looks REALLY interesting. To any1 else that is in the same boat as me. dB TECHNOLOGIES: Home[category]=18&tx_amdbt_pi1[product]=687

brokenvail thanks a lot for the info on the DB technologies! And its only 28 lbs. 400W

If you scroll down and look to the left, you'll see the graph.
I did not check out the Flexsys FM12. It looks nice!

Just found yet another wedge to consider :) rcf art 312a and art 310a. Any1 had these?

Some people say they sound better than QSC K's.

Personally I'm looking at either the EV ZXA1, because it's so small and light, I don't like lifting. Or the RCF ART 310A. Can't decide. For me, my band doesn't play loud, so power isn't an issue. If you need to "carry the room", not sure if these are enough to compete.

I've also read that some people like Alto TS112A, that one stands out because it's cheap, but has good sound quality. I interpret everything I read about them as "good bang for the buck". Meaning not quite as good as QSC or RCF for example, but for the money, it's good stuff.

But these are just based on what I've read. I haven't had experience with any of them, well, QSC K12, because I have a pair of those for mains. And I like them.

Guitarist9891 said:
Just found yet another wedge to consider :) rcf art 312a and art 310a. Any1 had these?

I have a pair of 310a's I used before the NX10s. They're good bang for the buck and loud as hell for their size and weight. Not nearly as good as NX series though.

you link is incomplete but I assume you checked out the Flexsys FM12?

Flexsys fm 10 actually. 400watts at only 28 lbs is a dream. In my post earlier about carrying Rooms it was only for extremely rare occasions. In fact I never want to carry a room again :) I'd go FOH only. Fm12 is heavier, almost 40 lbs, and I am almost sure I don't need all the extra bass it would have. The music I play is not that heavy, in fact pretty much no chugging. The heaviest songs I usually play is acdc or Bon jovi. I mostly play in top40 and wedding bands.

Don't forget about the FBT Maxx series, wich is up on par with the rcf 3xx series.
When you like to spent more money, RCF has also higher series between the 3xx and the nx, like the 710a or the 712a, they are good too. The 312a is as big as the 315a, the higher series with a 12" speaker are smaller, wich I prefer, but have a much higher price.

Last edited:
Well, I went to Guitar Center and listened to EV ZXA1. I didn't like it at all. They didn't have any RCF. And at this point I don't want to buy something I haven't heard, so I went with QSC K8. A bit more than what I wanted to spend, but I already know I like the K12, plus I heard the K8 at GC as well. Next to the EV, it sounded great to my ears.

However, one word of caution. After I went home... I realized the K8, unlike the K10 or K12, does NOT have a "floor monitor" position. So you'll have to figure out how to make it stay in the floor monitor position. I'm currently looking into solutions.

Well, I went to Guitar Center and listened to EV ZXA1. I didn't like it at all. They didn't have any RCF. And at this point I don't want to buy something I haven't heard, so I went with QSC K8. A bit more than what I wanted to spend, but I already know I like the K12, plus I heard the K8 at GC as well. Next to the EV, it sounded great to my ears.

However, one word of caution. After I went home... I realized the K8, unlike the K10 or K12, does NOT have a "floor monitor" position. So you'll have to figure out how to make it stay in the floor monitor position. I'm currently looking into solutions.

There is a video on you tube on how to do it. YouTube - QSC K8 Floor Monitor
Hope this helps! Enjoy your new qsc.

Man, made my head spin just reading thru all of the posts. :) There are so many choices. I just want a nice sounding speaker to put in my room downstairs and jam with. I am currently playing thru two Marshall 4x12 cabs and can't take full advantage of the cab sims, etc. I just want something decent that won't be too expensive.

Do people like the QSC or Mackies better?

I like QSC. I think generally you won't go wrong with QSC. But they are expensive.

If you just want something to jam at home, I heard the Alto TS11xA series are good bang for the buck. They cost less than $300 I think. You can go check them out.

The problem is personal taste. A lot of people like the EV ZXA1 over QSC K8 for example. To me, I didn't like it. I heard the EV ZXA1 by itself first and I already didn't like it. Then when the guy at Guitar Center switched to K8, immediately the K8 was so much better to my ears. And I wasn't going to get the K8 originally, because I didn't want to pay for 1000watts -- I don't need it. I just wanted to listen to it because I wanted a point of reference for comparison. And that's the second time this happened. When I was shopping for a pair of mains awhile back, as soon as the guy demo'ed the K12, I was like... I want that one. So for whatever reason, I like QSC.

Go to Guitar Center or whatever music store, ask the guy to demo any powered speaker that looks interesting to you. Have them show you QSC and Mackie, and make your own decision. That's the best way I think.

Had I listened to all those internet people that loved the EV ZXA1, I would have been disappointed. But I'm sure they're all happy with it, and happy they paid less money for a speaker that they like. So you shouldn't take my word for it and just blindly go get the QSC, use your own ears.

And sometimes you surprise yourself with A/B results. When I was shopping for K12s, I saved some coin when I realized that I preferred the sound of the cheaper/smaller/lighter K8s.

Back
Top Bottom