Going back v4.01

The OP has major victim mentality problems...! Stop whining already! We've read it 5 times by now?

OTOH, I've stated more than once that fw4 was pure magic to me. Almost every preset sounded right on with my SG P90s guitar.
Many totally awesome presets. Held bended notes starting to subtlely feed back, leading their own life. Amazing!!!!! :-o

I miss many of them, but I will stay w >fw5, because it too added revolutionary stuff and if you go through a bunch of awesome smilefan presets, you can hear you might be better off in the end, you'll just have to accept that some tweaking talent may be necessary to develop.
I've always known that, so I will never complain about it, like so many others. The day you *can* tweak, you will cry out for more tweaking options.

It also seems to me that fw5 can be A LOT noisier? In a bunch of presets it seemed it was picking up the fan rotations and amplifying them "through the CPU", with the noise almost sounding as loud as the guitar.

Last edited:
The OP has major victim mentality problems...! Stop whining already! We've read it 5 times by now?

Where in my original post is there any whining or complaining ... are you another one with limited reading coprehension... "The OP has major victim mentality problems" That would help to explain your inability to create a complete and coherent sentence.

I'm with the OP & not crazy about v5. Not whining. Just giving an honest opinion in hopes that the powers that be will listen & take it as constructive criticism, not meaningless complaining. I had no problem tweaking v1 thru v4. How could v5 disable my tweaking talent! The advance in feel does not come close to compensating for the loss of tone IMHO. 2 steps forward, 4 steps backwards. If you like it, fine. Just because someone has a differing opinion than yours does not even come remotely close to meaning they have major (or even minor) victim mentality problems.

From preset standpoint only:
I wouldn't say there's a loss of tone if you try the smilefan presets.
To me it seems more that the new presets for fw5 were adjusted by someone else than the original builder and with different guitar(s).
Some presets are still awesome (or some might have become awesome now), but some magic ones have changed or are gone.
It's the first time ever I also wished there was a simple firmware switch, but I'm more than happy to continue the ride.

Where in my original post is there any whining or complaining ... are you another one with limited reading coprehension... "The OP has major victim mentality problems" That would help to explain your inability to create a complete and coherent sentence.
Do I really have to explain??
Have you never felt a "vibe" from someone? Your vibe is clear, and that is whining and displaying victim mentality till the cows come home, even if you think you're cleverly desguising it. Your responses illustrate it too.

No big deal some like it hot some like it cold...
You pretend you're nice and cool with it, "no problem", while in fact you bitch about it in a lot of posts. That is a whiner vibe.
If you really believe yourself, we may at least expect you will never complain again being on fw4...?

Im sure if i had a better grasp of the advanced settings i would not have to do this...
Then work on that grasp with plenty of other info available. Look at it as a challenge (this has to be endlessly repeated to you and you don't understand the genuinely good comparisons). Even smilefan's info was not *that* in-depth. I sure still had questions, but I didn't wanna look unthankful or... whining!
BTW: the whole power amp was rewritten (or maybe more), so even what you're claiming is *not* sure.

but as of yet there isnt any real step by step guide to learning how to use them since sm is no longer contributing his tutorials
The step-by-step guide is to experiment STEP BY STEP and use your ears and what you can gather on info, instead of being overwhelmed and wanting to be taken by the hand.
The Axe simply is not for you if you need these parameters to go away to be happy. An explenation for them is given, how to use them for the sound *you* want is personal and not something each individual is entitled to. Start with what you can and more help will eventually come along.

Add to the knowledge base instead of being a downer, and be patient. There is more than enough to occupy yourself with without advanced parameters.

That would help to explain your inability to create a complete and coherent sentence.
Are *you* even English??
Then start by making your thread title English: "Going back to v4.01" or even better "I'm going back to v4.01" so we know it's not a firmware update question. You sound like a 14 year old spoiled kid, TBH. I could give more examples. I'm not English and I provably write it much better than you. But being 14 has advantages too ;)

Last edited:
I´m wondering if people complaining about V5 have ever played a tube amp.. the axe never sounded so close imho

markm said:
I´m wondering if people complaining about V5 have ever played a tube amp.. the axe never sounded so close imho

Each to their own I guess... Because I agree this firmware really impressed me and I am amazed how touch sensitive, dynamic and lifelike it is.

Really hope Cliff does not decide to revert to the previous tech as this is a big improvement to me. V5 rocks IMHO.

Sure some amps seemed hotter, but I turned down the MV on Cliffs recommendation and all is good.... Not a big deal to me and certainly the improvements out weigh the tweaking needed.

Like I say, each to their own and I respect others opinions. Just need to see the balance of people who happy with V5.

Hi! I really like FW 5.01, however I spend a LOT of time tweaking. I have forgotten how FW 4.01 "sounds" and would like to try it temporary. Any one knows where to download FW 4.01 and older AXE Edit versions?

I got mine with Firmware 5.2 and upgraded from the Ultra. Sold my Ultra and don't regret that one bit. Firmware V is such a breakthrough and 5.2 is phenomenal. I can feel so much difference from the Ultra and a good difference that is. Now the Axe FxII is pretty much acting like a real tube amp 100% in my most humble honest opinion.

I LOVE 5.01! A lot. I don't say that every new firmware. I've had the II since the day after 2.0 FW was released. Ultra since 2008 before that. Axe II on 5.01 is absolutely state of the art. Hands down the best ever IMO. I didn't feel that way going from 2.x to 3.x.. but 4.x was better and 5.x is a smash hit home run. BTW, I'm a long-time tube amp guy. I've never spent a lot of time using factory presets, so I can't comment on those.

As we all know, anytime Cliff makes a change where "the sound of existing presets will change", there is always a clear warning in the release notes. I know this is TOO obvious, but I still wonder how many guys load the firmware, play a couple chords and instantly form their opinion before even tweaking anything. That simply doesn't work! Use your ears and all those great tools in the box to season to taste.

Do I really have to explain??
Have you never felt a "vibe" from someone? Your vibe is clear, and that is whining and displaying victim mentality till the cows come home, even if you think you're cleverly desguising it. Your responses illustrate it too.

You pretend you're nice and cool with it, "no problem", while in fact you bitch about it in a lot of posts. That is a whiner vibe.
If you really believe yourself, we may at least expect you will never complain again being on fw4...?

Then work on that grasp with plenty of other info available. Look at it as a challenge (this has to be endlessly repeated to you and you don't understand the genuinely good comparisons). Even smilefan's info was not *that* in-depth. I sure still had questions, but I didn't wanna look unthankful or... whining!
BTW: the whole power amp was rewritten (or maybe more), so even what you're claiming is *not* sure.

The step-by-step guide is to experiment STEP BY STEP and use your ears and what you can gather on info, instead of being overwhelmed and wanting to be taken by the hand.
The Axe simply is not for you if you need these parameters to go away to be happy. An explenation for them is given, how to use them for the sound *you* want is personal and not something each individual is entitled to. Start with what you can and more help will eventually come along.

Add to the knowledge base instead of being a downer, and be patient. There is more than enough to occupy yourself with without advanced parameters.

Are *you* even English??
Then start by making your thread title English: "Going back to v4.01" or even better "I'm going back to v4.01" so we know it's not a firmware update question. You sound like a 14 year old spoiled kid, TBH. I could give more examples. I'm not English and I provably write it much better than you. But being 14 has advantages too ;)

Gee it only took two lines to get you red in the face... wow that was easy!!!

5.0X has been a divisive update for some people. I was among them in the beginning. But promise you the tweaks are worth it in the end.

As we all know, anytime Cliff makes a change where "the sound of existing presets will change", there is always a clear warning in the release notes. I know this is TOO obvious, but I still wonder how many guys load the firmware, play a couple chords and instantly form their opinion before even tweaking anything. That simply doesn't work! Use your ears and all those great tools in the box to season to taste.

Why do people keep making these blanket statements based on absolutely ZERO facts. I have been tweaking the @&^$%*@# out of this update & can't get rid of the booming, muddy, mucky low mids that permeate this update. Hopefully 5.04b will fix this. I'll know this evening.

to the OP paullypj and notalemming:

I sympathize with your dilemma, but this is going on 3 pages where there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion about rectifying your specific problems as it pertains to f/w 5.x and the gear that your using. Typically, the forum is of great service when you FULLY DISCLOSE your setup from head to toe, guitar, amps, speakers, style of music and amp models that you are struggling with, etc., and then take it to the next level of posting your preset .syx files for others to scrutinize, as well as post up (if you can) an audio or video/audio recording that demonstrates the issues that you are having.

Please do this if you want to stay on topic and get this solved. In the time you guys have spent engaged in a piss-fest here, if I were in your shoes I'd have already gone back to f/w 4 and been done with it - OR - gotten serious about getting help and done what I've suggested above. Either way, is there a point to where this is going right now, other than you're not happy with v5.x, whereas others seem to clearly be ecstatic about it?

Or do you just enjoy spending time bashing 5.x firmware? (And, FWIW, what a TERRIBLE world we live in where the worst thing that happens is you can still load up an old firmware that you LIKE and continue on with the business of making music.)

...with all due respect...

I liked 3.4, but not 4.01 so much. IMO, 5.01 is an improvement over 4.01. I would also be interested in hearing the specifics of your setup and the issues you are having. My approach is to go through the amp sims at a moderate volume and get a general impression of the way they sound. If they all seem to have the same undersirable characteristic (ie. too much bass, too much treble...), then the problem is probably in your FRFR or amp/cab equipment. I think of this as a "Global" problem that needs to be addressed. If it makes more sense to you to think of it as a FW characteristic, the approach is the same, eliminate the undesirable characteristic(s). That's when I would go to the "Global" EQ and make the adjustments necessary to get all the amp sims sounding as flat (not too much of anything) as possible through your equipment. Then, go back to the amp sims (starting with the default settings) and make further adjustments to fine tune. This approach may not work for everyone, but it seems to get me there quicker after FW updates.

Last edited:
to the OP paullypj and notalemming:

I sympathize with your dilemma, but this is going on 3 pages where there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion about rectifying your specific problems as it pertains to f/w 5.x and the gear that your using. Typically, the forum is of great service when you FULLY DISCLOSE your setup from head to toe, guitar, amps, speakers, style of music and amp models that you are struggling with, etc., and then take it to the next level of posting your preset .syx files for others to scrutinize, as well as post up (if you can) an audio or video/audio recording that demonstrates the issues that you are having.

Please do this if you want to stay on topic and get this solved. In the time you guys have spent engaged in a piss-fest here, if I were in your shoes I'd have already gone back to f/w 4 and been done with it - OR - gotten serious about getting help and done what I've suggested above. Either way, is there a point to where this is going right now, other than you're not happy with v5.x, whereas others seem to clearly be ecstatic about it?

Or do you just enjoy spending time bashing 5.x firmware? (And, FWIW, what a TERRIBLE world we live in where the worst thing that happens is you can still load up an old firmware that you LIKE and continue on with the business of making music.)

...with all due respect...

OMFG....I m gonna say this one last fn time im not bashing anyone or anything, ver 5 or 4 or 3.01 or anyone or anything... All i said was i was gonna go back to using 4.01 .... I also said in another post that if i had 2 units id use one for clean and crunch with ver 5.01 and ver 4 in another for smother high gain tones. I think its great that i saved all my previous versions its like i have 4,000 presets to fuck with.

I started a post and it seems to me that it has starded a lot of HEALTHY disscussion about the versions (like i said some like it hot some like it cold Which by the way was twisted by someone to mean something else). I have been reading all over the forum different thoughts about ver 4 vs ver 5....There is probablly a lot of great feedback on this thread for the folks at fas who seem to always have an ear to the ground. (for all those who are haters of me on this thread this is a positive comment )

And guess what cliff has been listening to the forum because he has almost overnight made changes to the saturation parameter....

Cliff im not bashing your product in any way if i had the dough id have and ultras and a 2s each loaded with all the versions and a different colored one for each day of the week

great. so are you going to sit out f/w 5.x, or do you want further help getting 5.x to behave the way you like? Just curious.

great. so are you going to sit out f/w 5.x, or do you want further help getting 5.x to behave the way you like? Just curious.

I going to go back and forth between the versions...I saved all the versions and all the presets and banks.... i really like the clean and crunch sounds in the ver 5
Its the rectos friedmans jvms cae and the like... i know they sound great and they are almost there its just the almost thats killin me. I know the the tweaks are there in the 5 s advanced page. i am playing practicing and tweaking at least 6 to 8 hrs everyday for the past 3 months.... you reach a point of coming so close to that killer sound and you know that a quarter turn of on of those knobs is the end of your quest .... And then i remembered that I was was happy with the presets that came in ver 3 - 4.01.... right out of the box ...or so i thought i was until i reinstalled ver 4.01 then i realized that ver 4 could use some of what ver5 had in those types of amps .... are you catchin my drift here...

Then came along ver 5.04b ????? could it be the one

"or do you want further help getting 5.x to behave the way you like?"

In answer to this i would like to have complete working knowledge of all the parameters in the amp and cabinet blocks for any version and i would pay what ever for that.... Thats were the true power of this thing is ....with that knowledge i think one might be able to get any sound with just about any version ... but thats just my opinion...and thats is why i want that knowledge so badly im willing to stir up so much shit on this forum.... squeaky wheel gets the oil !!!!

English must be a second language for you because you seem to have a very diffucult time undertsanding my posts. There was no complaining nothing negative in my post may be you read someone elses post and thought it was mine . A lot of people dont have great reading comprehension so dont feel bad.

It seems that my post brought up a good discusion about the versions.. If i could id have an ax with ver 5. for my clean and crunch/ od and one with version 4 for smooth high gain setings i d be a real happy guy..

Hey smartass, go back to your little playroom . You aren't worth any more typing

Back
Top Bottom