Wish Global channel

Smilzo

Fractal Fanatic
I wish
  • channels were global
  • with user label/tags (ie, Texas flood TS drive)
  • and adequate number of channel (now we have 384x4... I think 512 will make it)
  • a clever way to manage global scenes and share preset without override the used ones.

Can you explain a little more about what you mean? Like, how you would use this new feature versus what the current limitations are? I’m not sure I quite understand what you’re trying to do. Do you mean that each block has a number of global channels that are persistent across all presets? So when you change one parameter in one preset, assuming you’re using a global channel in a block, then it changes in every preset?

Can you explain a little more about what you mean? Like, how you would use this new feature versus what the current limitations are? I’m not sure I quite understand what you’re trying to do. Do you mean that each block has a number of global channels that are persistent across all presets? So when you change one parameter in one preset, assuming you’re using a global channel in a block, then it changes in every preset?
With actual firmware, I put SRV style drive in a preset. I want to use the same drive in next preset; channels are stored in the presets, so I have to manually or digitally copy from the previous preset channel. I wish, instead of ABCD, 1..512 channels that are global. It change in every preset (the parametes are OUTSIDE of the preset, no need to change preset itself!) If you want the block to not to change in every preset, you could use unused channel (say, #3... #1 is SRV rhytm, #2 is lead, #3 is preset X particular drive).
Also, a way to "lock" the channel setting per preset could be useful. Maybe keep one slot local (A), and another global (B)? I don't know. I wish to keep is simple, something like "Do you want to keep it local (Y/N)?", and the system use the appropriate slot... naming feature is the key to retrieve and manage the channels, instead of A B C D.
Ehh, didn't you post this wish already?
I don't think so. I made a research in the forum before, there's global blocks wish, no global channels. If you refer to session-like, it's more complicated than this wish: maybe this one is doable with less coding.

Isn't global blocks pretty much made for this sort of thing?

Otherwise use the block library feature to save and copy settings.

-Isn't global blocks pretty much made for this sort of thing?

Otherwise use the block library feature to save and copy settings.
A global block contain all channels. I wish to use all channels I set in my setup. A block should be "local", the channel should be "global".

Block library is half step in the global direction. First, you have to connect a PC (I don't trust external device in a show), second you are limited to 4 channel per preset; third some memory are "wasted". Imagine you can choose one of 512 channels in a preset, each scene can load a different channel. Or in a future song setlist implementation, one can recall a channel without saving the preset. Because, just like library, they are outside the preset. But, unlike actual logic, you don't have to "duplicate/write" them in the preset. Just the index.

A global block contain all channels. I wish to use all channels I set in my setup. A block should be "local", the channel should be "global".

Block library is half step in the global direction. First, you have to connect a PC (I don't trust external device in a show), second you are limited to 4 channel per preset; third some memory are "wasted". Imagine you can choose one of 512 channels in a preset, each scene can load a different channel. Or in a future song setlist implementation, one can recall a channel without saving the preset. Because, just like library, they are outside the preset. But, unlike actual logic, you don't have to "duplicate/write" them in the preset. Just the index.
I just see an overly complicated setup.

You can have multiple global blocks of the same effect type (e.g Drive block) that can then be assigned per preset, each with their own channels. That should be more than enough to cover what you need.

Reactions: JTI
I just see an overly complicated setup.

You can have multiple global blocks of the same effect type (e.g Drive block) that can then be assigned per preset, each with their own channels. That should be more than enough to cover what you need.
I can't have 8 different channel in a preset. We can ask 8 channels, and 16 scenes, even 16 channels. But presets will became huge.

I think what you’re really asking for is an onboard channel library. Channels are optimized for quick availability during performance. They are given sections of the fastest memory in the box. That memory is precious and in short supply. And it must be refreshed from non-volatile memory at every boot-up. On the other hand, an on-board library could be stored in non-volatile memory. The slowness of that wouldn’t be a big deal when populating an individual channel from the library.

While I’m not certain, I think that either solution would require more physical memory than is currently available.

Last edited:
I can't have 8 different channel in a preset. We can ask 8 channels, and 16 scenes, even 16 channels. But presets will became huge.
You absolutely can, you just need two blocks of the same type. Each one could be tied to a different global block too.

That said, if you need 8 channels for a single effect block then you might be doing something overly complicated. What's your usecase for 8 channels in a preset?

What's your usecase for 8 channels in a preset?
One per scene would not be terrible but this other thing doesn't make sense to me. Global blocks is fine, and the block library in the editor covers anything else that 99.9% of people will ever need.

You absolutely can, you just need two blocks of the same type. Each one could be tied to a different global block too.

That said, if you need 8 channels for a single effect block then you might be doing something overly complicated. What's your usecase for 8 channels in a preset?
In the FM3 there's only 1 amp block. I wish, ie, to use one preset with each drive/amp/block/delay tweaked for preset, to have 16 combination (drive on/off). There's a lot of useful stuff. I try with CS but it's not doable, CS work per preset, not per scene.
One per scene would not be terrible but this other thing doesn't make sense to me. Global blocks is fine, and the block library in the editor covers anything else that 99.9% of people will ever need.
Global block will contain "global channel" where available. It just another tool. If you need a global block, insert a global block. If you need global channel, you should add just a global channel.

In the FM3 there's only 1 amp block. I wish, ie, to use one preset with each drive/amp/block/delay tweaked for preset, to have 16 combination (drive on/off). There's a lot of useful stuff. I try with CS but it's not doable, CS work per preset, not per scene.
And what's the issue of using multiple presets for this instead?

I think what you’re really asking for is an onboard channel library. Channels are optimized for quick availability during performance. They are given sections of the fastest memory in the box. That memory is precious and in short supply. And it must be refreshed from non-volatile memory at every boot-up. On the other hand, an on-board library could be stored in non-volatile memory. The slowness of that wouldn’t be a big deal when populating an individual channel from the library.

While I’m not certain, I think that either solution would require more physical memory than is currently available.
Rex, I could estimate the bytes it takes 4 channels, but I don't know the processing and memories strategies of the DSP. It's up to Cliff. He decide 4 channels into a preset as evolution from X/Y. I use mainly scenes, I have a preset template and I use it. Same blocks, same link. Before Axefx I think all my sound as preset=one combination of my stompbox/channel. A virtual setup. With channels, I could use just one preset, if I had to choose between trading preset or scenes, I choose less preset with more scenes (and channel). Immagine you could built a factory preset with all marshalls, with cabs and drives historicaly corrected. Another with Fenders. Another preset with all Metallica main songs. Now we don't see the use because we don't have the tool.

No... Channels are stored in blocks.

I think this is a sticking point in your request.

It's an interesting wish, but could be very confusing and possibly very hard to implement.
Channels are stored in blocks that are stored in preset, hence in preset. Each preset is a fixed-lenght record. Seems to remember from II discussion with Cliff... :)

Well, I develop the wish a bit in a library-like kind of.
The channels are stored in 384 "slot", each of (say) 4 channel, as separate library inside Axefx.
In each preset each block in a scene is "linked" to a slot+channel(ABCD) (they are outside the preset).

In terms of total memory there is the additional address of the slot.
Advantages:
1) when #slot=#preset the ABCD system is the same as now (default);
2) changing slot and channel recall the stored values of the library; if we change the value, any preset linked will reflect the library value; (global)
3) each scene can have one different channel (up to 8 different channels available in one preset);
4) the UI should allow load/save/swap of slot, channel and library, linked or not to the preset (you can import only a channel, link it in the preset and test it before saving; import a slot without changing our preset just to test useability keeping previous functionality other user sound...). If you link an entire slot, it's the same as global block. You can backup the library, or save for different project (use one preset, loading each time different channel; think about eq different for known rooms, or to adapt different guitars to the preset).

Maybe I miss something, but it seems a clever way to improve channel management. @FractalAudio what you think: doable, foolish, already done while unboxing the new axe? :D

In terms of total memory there is the additional address of the slot.
Global blocks are stored in system setting storage. I would assume global channels would need to be as well.

That means system settings would need space for all of those parts that are currently stored as part of the preset storage.

Back
Top Bottom