Gift of Tone #15 - PHIL COLLEN of DEF LEPPARD

@Admin M@ Could you create a cab mix with those 3 cabs for the FM3? I tried using Cab-Lab but looks like it is no longer supported. That way you could get the correct blend of all three cabs on the FM3. Do you have an updated version of Cab-Lab on your end that you could use? The single cab sounds good but I think you could more clarity with all three mixed.

I'm wondering if the "dark" version is on the FM3, where there aren't enough slots to load all of the IRs. I'll look into the feasibility of capturing the blend as one user IR.
I think that is the problem that is happening, when I put the second cab in it was a lot better, but was still just a tad too dark. A blend IR would be great! Thanks!

Hey everyone! John here. I’d be happy to answer any questions. The cab block is exactly what we use live - 3 factory IRs (Left, Right, Center).
Hey John, Thanks for putting this together! What do you typically do different for songs like Women, and Hysteria since that clean shimmer compared to Pyromania and High n' Dry songs? Do you use more chorus?

I'm wondering if the "dark" version is on the FM3, where there aren't enough slots to load all of the IRs. I'll look into the feasibility of capturing the blend as one user IR.
I'm using a III and it sounds dark compared to most of my presets and factory presets. Not criticizing, just offering information.

Hey John, Thanks for putting this together! What do you typically do different for songs like Women, and Hysteria since that clean shimmer compared to Pyromania and High n' Dry songs? Do you use more chorus?
Yes - especially on Women. I have a scene just for the intro lick - lots of chorus and delay. The amp block settings are the same throughout the set, but the effects vary from song to song.

It's not Dark on the III ( on Genelec Studio Monitors )... it's a Live preset with alot of Mid content, as it should be... if you use a brighter guitar, or one with a Super Distortion, sounds just like the record...

Yes - especially on Women. I have a scene just for the intro lick - lots of chorus and delay. The amp block settings are the same throughout the set, but the effects vary from song to song.
So the amp settings, stay the same throughout the set and you use the compressor for a boost and bring in chorus effects and extra delay. Do you remember off the top of your head which type of chorus and delay settings you used on Women? If not, no problem, I was just going to model this preset to do Hysteria Esq preset for songs too like Women.

Loving this series. Probably my favorite so far. This preset is a little dark but you have to give it some volume. Which I assume is product of this preset being dialing in on super loud PA. Can’t wait for the next sound check!

So the amp settings, stay the same throughout the set and you use the compressor for a boost and bring in chorus effects and extra delay. Do you remember off the top of your head which type of chorus and delay settings you used on Women? If not, no problem, I was just going to model this preset to do Hysteria Esq preset for songs too like Women.
On Women I use the "'80's Style" chorus, 4 voice, and about a 20% mix for everything but the intro. The intro has the same chorus model, but 6 voice and a 48% mix. Delay is a Digital Stereo with a 50% L/R ratio (most presets are either a 50% or a 75% L/R ratio).

OK, FM3 (and FM9) folks, give these IRs a try. It's a left and a right stereo pair, so hard pan them in the cab block with the block's input set to LEFT. You may wish to do a just little high cut as I re-captured them "wide open".

Attachments

• PHIL-L.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 53
  • PHIL-R.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom