Getting rid of the zipper...

Kracked

Inspired
So, I don't have this issue with the Ultra but with the Axe II, I seem to be plagued with the zipper/static/digital noise while using/moving my foot controllers. I've adjusted (increased) the damping in the modifier menu as some have eluded to in other posts but that has had zero effect. I use a GCP and a pair of Mission pedals. I set both the Ultra and II side by side and with the Ultra there is no noise while moving the pedals. Not making sense to me.

For the most part, I can work around the annoyance live since there are plenty of other sonic things going on and probably no one except me notices but I'd really like to get it under control for those quieter venues and when being recorded.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Interference from the midi cable. You can use a cat5 ethernet cable instead, apparently it doesnt happen when using these. I get the zipper noise when I use a cheap thin midi cable.

I use the MFC and Mission pedals (3 of them) and have zero zipper noise.

I like to use a 12ms dampening.

Sorry I can't help more than that. The suggestion above to check the cables seems prudent.

^^ sounds like good clues...

compare and test by using the AFXII rear pedal input with a Mission pedal rather than going through your midi footcontroller. Is the zipper gone when doing it this way?

Interference from the midi cable. You can use a cat5 ethernet cable instead, apparently it doesnt happen when using these. I get the zipper noise when I use a cheap thin midi cable.

Did you make your own midi cable using cat 5 or is there a source for them pre made?

Did you make your own midi cable using cat 5 or is there a source for them pre made?
Any standard CAT-5 cable from any electronics outlet will work. Recommend you do not buy the cheapest... they are generally garbage. Try Best Buy, Fry's, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Last edited:
I use the MFC and Mission pedals (3 of them) and have zero zipper noise.

I like to use a 12ms dampening.

Sorry I can't help more than that. The suggestion above to check the cables seems prudent.

Hopefully one of these days I can get my hands on the MFC and leverage the Cat5 conx. For now, I'm going to try some different midi cables first and see if it subsides. Then I'll go down the troubleshooting list - I just found it odd that I don't have the issue at all with the Ultra (same cable/controller etc..)

Any standard CAT-5 cable from any electronics outlet will work. Recommend you do not buy the cheapest... they are generally garbage. Try Best Buy, Fry's, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Right - but I have a GCP, not an MFC - i.e. no Cat5 connector on the GCP so I would have to make a Cat5 cable with DIN 7 ends...

The OP did say he was using a GCP not an MFC. Even so I am using the cheapest M-audio pedal with the GCP and have no zipper noise. I am using it for all pedal functionality so that would be, volume, wah and other stuff, all ok.

Have you tried a different midi lead between the GCP and the Axe?

Edit: Geeze, I am too slow!

Another thought, how is CPU usage on the Axe? Moving up to 6.0 I found several of my patches suddenly got weird noises and I had to remove redundant blocks to fix things, now I only have stuff in a patch if I know I am going to use it.

Another thought, how is CPU usage on the Axe? Moving up to 6.0 I found several of my patches suddenly got weird noises and I had to remove redundant blocks to fix things, now I only have stuff in a patch if I know I am going to use it.

Good point - Most of my patches are running about 94% - so that's an avenue I need to explore also. I got a lot of stuff goin on but I do have some redundancy that I may be able to trim.

I'm using MFC with a Boss FV-500H, damp set to 4ms and I don't get any zipper [even on my most cpu heavy preset - 94%]

could your pedal have a dirty pot??
maybe spray a little switch cleaner in there and give it a could wiggle for a while??

I'm using MFC with a Boss FV-500H, damp set to 4ms and I don't get any zipper [even on my most cpu heavy preset - 94%]

could your pedal have a dirty pot??
maybe spray a little switch cleaner in there and give it a could wiggle for a while??

Actually that was the first thing I tried - replaced the hot potz with a new hot potz (they're all sealed anyway) in one of the pedals. Same diff.

are you getting this with all presets in the Axe-II?

like.. maybe try assigning the EXP to amp gain on one of the factory presets and see if you still suffer with the same effect..

in the interests of science, have you tried the pedal straight into the back of the Axe [to rule out the pedal / cable completely]

I've noticed some zipper noise too, EV-5 straight into AXE-FX II

It's happened intermittently, over the past few months over many different firmware revisions. I use Roland EV-5's plugged into the Pedal Jack on the back of the AXE. Never noticed anything like this on my ULTRA, and I have used a lot of wah-wha on it. But with the AXE II, on certain higher gain amps, using the wah heavily will produce some zipper noise in the sustaining reverb wash/ringing distortion chords. It seemed to go away with 6.00c, but I have not tried to duplicate it recently, and I haven't done any proper troubleshooting. I tend to go through phases and noticed it a lot on my last major wha-wha programming phase. Never noticed it on any other control modulation with the EV-5. This sounds like a good candidate for testing! I will try to get to work and report back. :D

Cheers,
Rick

i get glitches even without pedals and external controllers when my CPU is over 90%... i'd explore that first.

Don't rule out your guitar cable as a possible culprit. Less-than-ideal shielding can make your rig susceptible to this problem. Try a different guitar cable, and try routing it as far away from your MIDI cable as possible. See what that gets you.

Don't rule out your guitar cable as a possible culprit. Less-than-ideal shielding can make your rig susceptible to this problem. Try a different guitar cable, and try routing it as far away from your MIDI cable as possible. See what that gets you.

I had the zipper, i just tried a different cable and there is no zipper. Plus i agree, guitar cables are mostly crap for this

Back
Top Bottom