Getting a dynamic-yet-squishy clean tone?

Hey all, help me out here.
I've been trying to cop that MBV Only Shallow rhythm tone, and it seems I'm perpetually missing the mark. The closest I've been able to get seems to be with either a 59 Bassman or Vibroverb model with a bit of compression and some twiddling with the graphic EQs, but it always ends up sounding just a bit too lifeless. I think trying to balance out the top end sound of single coils is tricky, too; I need that slight splash of the pick attack, but I don't want too much "zing" after that.

Anyone ever waste their time with this kind of thing? I'm trying to build up a few more rhythm tones that aren't too Clean 101 sounding, and I could really use a bit more of a juicy tone that isn't straight-up jangly or bluesy...

Cheers.

Having seen MBV live, I'd say the missing ingredient is volume. Like, teeth rattling, ear crushing, standing next to a jet engine at full throttle while super man prevents the thing from taking off, stupid amounts of volume. They were handing out earplugs at the door, and I thought, "pffft, who needs that?". About 2 songs in when I was opening my mouth just to release the pressure in my head, I realized the answer was, "anyone sane". Crank it up till you're pushing enough sound pressure to make the building's metal support beams resonate, and you'll be nearing it probably ;)

I just listened to the track you linked to. I didn't hear anything I'd call a clean tone. Maybe that's what's tripping you up.

Oh, and a little volume wouldn't hurt, either. :)

I've seen them live as well, but I think the studio sound of Loveless is a bit of a different affair. Kevin maintains that it was all done without pedals; just a parametric EQ. Alan Moulder testifies otherwise.
Sure there's a hair of grit on the guitars during the verses, but the definition is still there. I actually had a little better luck last night with an AC30/Hiwatt mix, surprisingly, but still a little off point. I used to be able to cop something fairly close with my Strat running through an AnalogMan BiComp into my Matamp at high levels and the treble/bass up a bit, but it still had a bit too much bark and a little too much sag.

There, you said it, your last word. Have you tried adjusting the sag parameter? It might be called something different now. I don't have my axefx in front of me. What's that knob..........

I've read there's a hefty amount of compression on the back end of the tone so try the studio comp at the end of the chain? I think they used a fender twin as well so crank your favorite iteration of that amp

Yeah there's a crap load of compression on the track posted. It's squashed and pumping like crazy.
Yeah, you're totally correct.
Is there a good way of emulating that squished attack? I tried experimenting with compressors after the cab block, but at best I get a flat sound with awkward recovery.

I could only listen on my phone for now, but from what you guys are saying regarding the pumping sound, (I couldn't really hear it on my phone) but I did hear a lot of kick drum. Which would lead me to guess; is it possible that they used a side-chain compressor on the rhythm guitar tied to the kick drum?

Not what I expected to hear from MBV, but I like it. Reminds me of Lush, one of my fave 90s bands (and they're back touring now). They used lots of chorus and compression and had the same ethereal vocals. Guitar.com has their rig info.

i would just put the MBC after the cab. that way, you get "squishy", but keep the amp's dynamic response. seems to work well for me on default settings, but if it's not enough, just lower the threshold of the three bands slightly

Back
Top Bottom