Gemini 2x12 220 watt FRFR vs Mark V

Hypieran

Help me out I'm considering returning my Mark V head for the Gemini 2x12 220 watt FRFR to use with my Axe FX III. Any opinions??? I'm currently 4cm into Mark V with a 1x12 Mini Rec. Need help deciding please help!!

Are you aware of the difference in feel and tone when you switch from a traditional cabinet to FRFR?

When yes, i dont have much to say, when no…than buy, try, A/B and than sell after you really know which suits you the best.

Reactions: ESW
Are you aware of the difference in feel and tone when you switch from a traditional cabinet to FRFR?

When yes, i dont have much to say, when no…than buy, try, A/B and than sell after you really know which suits you the best.
Best I can compare I my current Mark V with the Axe through my studio monitor headphones. So I'm aware of difference to an extent. I'm under impression the mission Engineering gemini 2 2x12 is one of best cab style FRFR and it is stereo which will be amazing with the Axe. So I'm just a little torn I do love tube tone from Mark.

I made the change from a RCF NX12 SMA to the Gemini 212 for gigging and it was a game changer for me. I have always liked the sound of 2x12 or 2x10 amps and I seem to get that fuller sound on stage. FWIW

I made the change from a RCF NX12 SMA to the Gemini 212 for gigging and it was a game changer for me. I have always liked the sound of 2x12 or 2x10 amps and I seem to get that fuller sound on stage. FWIW
Nice I'm just thinking I love my Mark V but to be able to use my Axe with IR and with Mark 2c+ or Mark IV will be amazing. I can run different amp models using my Mark V power amp however it's only through that power amp and cab. So I think for me the 2x12 Gemini with Stereo capabilities will be better.

Nice I'm just thinking I love my Mark V but to be able to use my Axe with IR and with Mark 2c+ or Mark IV will be amazing. I can run different amp models using my Mark V power amp however it's only through that power amp and cab. So I think for me the 2x12 Gemini with Stereo capabilities will be better.
Honestly, I like options. If you want that real cab in the room experience then have a solid state power amp and a good cabinet at the ready. If you like the sound of what the audience hears then the Gemini 2x12. I’d personally sell the Mark V, get a Powerstage 170 or better, and get a 2x12 Gemini.

Honestly, I like options. If you want that real cab in the room experience then have a solid state power amp and a good cabinet at the ready. If you like the sound of what the audience hears then the Gemini 2x12. I’d personally sell the Mark V, get a Powerstage 170 or better, and get a 2x12 Gemini.
I'm getting the powered 2x12 gemini 220 watt stereo its $2200. So I can go straight in with the Axe.

I;ve been running my III through a Matrix GT1000FX amp into a pair of Mission Gemini 2x12 FRFR cabs for a couple years now and was never happy with the sound compared to what I hear when I listen to III videos online. Posted about this a few weeks ago and ended up trying running through my M-Audio EX66 studio monitors moved up to my desktop to either side of my computer. OMFG!!!!! WAAAAYYYY better than the old setup. I don't play live so I'm probably going to sell the Matrix amp and Gemini cabinets. If/when I play live again, I'll probably go with in-ears. YMMV.

I;ve been running my III through a Matrix GT1000FX amp into a pair of Mission Gemini 2x12 FRFR cabs for a couple years now and was never happy with the sound compared to what I hear when I listen to III videos online. Posted about this a few weeks ago and ended up trying running through my M-Audio EX66 studio monitors moved up to my desktop to either side of my computer. OMFG!!!!! WAAAAYYYY better than the old setup. I don't play live so I'm probably going to sell the Matrix amp and Gemini cabinets. If/when I play live again, I'll probably go with in-ears. YMMV.
You using the non powered ones??? The one I'm getting doesnt need poweramp.

Well... I bought two passive Mission Gemini 2-P cabinets on a sale for $516.41 each including tax and the Matrix GT1000FX used on ebay for $711.07 including tax, which has me in for $1743.89 total, which is less than one of the powered Gemini cabs at $2139 + tax. The Gemini 2P cabs I bought are now $795 each new and the Matrix amp is now $949 new so I think maybe you're going the expensive route. Like I said, I'm probably going to sell mine as I prefer the sound of the studio monitors and am not playing live.

Well... I bought two passive Mission Gemini 2-P cabinets on a sale for $516.41 each including tax and the Matrix GT1000FX used on ebay for $711.07 including tax, which has me in for $1743.89 total, which is less than one of the powered Gemini cabs at $2139 + tax. The Gemini 2P cabs I bought are now $795 each new and the Matrix amp is now $949 new so I think maybe you're going the expensive route. Like I said, I'm probably going to sell mine as I prefer the sound of the studio monitors and am not playing live.
Hmmm . Well thanks for your input. Heard a lot of great stuff on powered gemini. I'm gonna give it a go if not I'll return it for a JP2C.

They're excellent cabs, don't get me wrong! I was very happy overall until I started noticing that I couldn't get the same chime, punch, chug, etc. as I was hearing from guys like BUrgs and Leon Todd on the YouTube videos. Cliff responded to my post question about this by saying "its the cabs" but it could totally also have been my room, cab placement (on floor by walls), etc.

I'm getting the powered 2x12 gemini 220 watt stereo its $2200. So I can go straight in with the Axe.
I just mean there is a difference between using the Cab block with the Gemini vs using a Solid State Power Amp plus a physical cabinet. You're going to be hearing the sound of a mic'd cabinet through the Gemini. It is different than going through a real cabinet in 4CM. Not bad by any means (that is what the audience hears when you are going through a mic'd speaker into front of house. But it will hit differently than you may be used to. That is what @unFILTERed was alluding to.
Which is why I like being able to experience either setup. ;)

I think one of us is misunderstanding the other. Not sure who, though! As I understand it, my setup is basically the same as what you're going for except your power amp is built into your Gemini cabinet whereas my power amp is upstream of the cabinet. Power amp notwisthstanding, I think the cabinet and speakers in both our cabinets is the same - both are FRFR. The Matrix power amp I'm using is a solid state amp, just like is built into the Gemini cabs you're going to buy. I use the cab blocks in the Axe-FX just like you will, power amp modeling and all. I just don't like the sound of the Gemini cabs and I paid a lot less.

Hmmm . Well thanks for your input. Heard a lot of great stuff on powered gemini. I'm gonna give it a go if not I'll return it for a JP2C.
I was gong to add if you got the Mark V new i'd return it as the Mark VII just dropped, regardless of which way you go. . . I had a mark V and sold it, there was nothing really outstanding to me about it like the 2C+ or Mark IV.

I have the powered Gemini 2x12. Can't comment on real cab and power amp vs FrFr, but I can assure you like the above post volume won't be an issue. I can startle people walking by my house if I turn it up.

Personally I love mine coming from two Headrush 1x12. I'm just a living room player, but might occasionally jam so it was the better option for me than getting studio monitors to fit on my already crowded computer desk. Otherwise I'd have to make a separate music room but I like the convenience of my gaming rig and music setup in the same space.

Back
Top Bottom