Gary Richrath of REO

DougO

Trying to find more info about Gary Richrath from REO Speedwagon and what effects he used. Trying to get a descent REO sound out of my AX8. I came across a few posts on different websites stating Gary used two 50-watt Marshall non-master heads with Marshall cabs and a Wah. Guess he used Fender Champs in the studio as well. Of course I know a lot of it was in Gary's fingers too. Looking for that "Take It On The Run" tone. Anyone with any more detailed info/leads/presets would be much appreciated.

Doug

Would love to find a preset that gets close the Roll with the Changes tone. If anyone has something please feel free to sent it my way :)

Was just trying to get a Roll With The Changes tone last night. I landed on....
Brit Brown model with TS808 Mod in front of it
Then a bit of the Pitch block- Detune mode to add a little of that cocked-wah vibe the tone has to my ears

Give it a try.

Then a bit of the Pitch block- Detune mode to add a little of that cocked-wah vibe the tone has to my ears

Give it a try.
Will def give it a try... Thanks

Give it a try.
Just curious how the Detune would do that? It is a pitch modifier and a wah is a filter, which is going to affect the frequency response.

Just curious how the Detune would do that? It is a pitch modifier and a wah is a filter, which is going to affect the frequency response.
I would imagine that you can make it pretty raw with the TS and an EQ or filter then use the pitch block lite on the mix to flavor it a tiny bit

Maybe my description of a cocked-wah sound it not accurate.....I just know when I added in the Detune at about 25% mix I thought it got me closer to the tone I was hearing.

Maybe my description of a cocked-wah sound it not accurate.....I just know when I added in the Detune at about 25% mix I thought it got me closer to the tone I was hearing.
Ok... Just listened to the track. There is some sort of chorusing effect going on. If I didn't listen to a live version first, I might have thought it was just some studio doubling.

I can see Detune or a slow, shallow Chorus doing that.

A cocked wah is more like a notched filter. His sound has a bit of that, too, but most likely the OD + amp + speaker is the contributing factor there.

I was not a fan of their hits/albums...but before they recorded their first, they toured the Midwest hard, and one night at Majestic Hills , Lake Geneva (anybody remember that joint.).. Richrath was on fire..I was up front and he and I did a eye lock staring thing while he soloed during their cover of Symphony for the Devil.....never forgot that night...definitely an adolescent rock and roll revelation,,.

Ok... Just listened to the track. There is some sort of chorusing effect going on. If I didn't listen to a live version first, I might have thought it was just some studio doubling.

I can see Detune or a slow, shallow Chorus doing that.

A cocked wah is more like a notched filter. His sound has a bit of that, too, but most likely the OD + amp + speaker is the contributing factor there.

GEQ after the amp! gets it done every time.

Back
Top Bottom