FXIIIT/FC-12 layout help

EJ James (Street)

Experienced
Going from AxeFX II Mk II w/Liquid Foot+Pro+ and 2 Mission SP1-LF's to AxeFX III Turbo w/FC-12 and same expression pedals....

For the life of me I can't seem to wrap my head around how the FC-12 is set up to function in a similar manner.

Looking for something pretty simple really.

. . . . T BU
. . . . . BD

. = Patch per bank
T = Tuner
BU = Bank Up
BD = Bank Down

On my LF controller I was also able to control scene select per preset.

I've searched high and low, and either my search-fu is weak, or there's not a config out there that does what I'm looking for (which is HIGHLY unlikely). I could swear my interpretation/understanding of one of the default setups does this, but hell if I can get it set up to work properly. /sigh

If I had hair I'd pull it all out. Alas, I don't, so save me from scratching through the remaining grey matter? =)

Thanks in advance for any pointers/direction.

Hi EJ.

That's ...ALMOST... the factory default operation for the FC-12. I'm guessing you might not have loaded the factory layouts in your Axe-Fx III as directed in the Quick Start Guide that should have been in the FC-12 box.
  1. Press SETUP (Tap Home, then push Knob E)
  2. Nav to FC CONTROLLERS and press ENTER
  3. Page right to Reset
  4. Nav to the FC-12 option and press enter, twice.

The only difference in what you're asking for is that you want 9 presets instead of 10, with the TUNER on that extra switch. That's also easy.

1. Press SETUP (Tap Home, then push Knob E)
  2. Nav to FC CONTROLLERS and press ENTER
  3. Page right to Config
  4. Change Bank Size from 10 to 9.
  5. Now let's change that tuner switch. Without exiting the above menu, page left to "EZ"
  6. Tap the footswitch you want to change. Then set it to Category: Utility, Function: Tuner.
Done!

If you want to get to the scenes layout, do the foot-rocking Master Layout Menu stomp (as shown in the FC owner's manual in the Introduction), then step on the SCENES footswitch. To get back to presets, repeat the combo-stomp and tap PRESETS to go to presets.

Hi EJ.

I'm guessing you might not have loaded the factory layouts in your Axe-Fx III as directed in the Quick Start Guide that should have been in the FC-12 box.

Wait, whut?

/GoesDiggingThroughBoxesForManuals

You're probably right! I didn't see any sort of pamphlet or manual in that box. Then again, I might have grabbed it without knowing and shoved it in my pile of RTFM-NOT! documentation. Results TBD

Thanks guys. If that's the case I'll feel stupid (or just old/drunk, LOL).

In my defense, I did completely rebuild my home studio from the ground up after moving back to TX from MT last year, and just got it finally completed a couple of months ago before taking a hiatus from all the re-lo/rebuild stuff. I'm sure it's 100% on me for missing it, so I'll do another review of everything I set aside during the rewire and see if I can figure it out. Shame on me. =)

Wait, whut?

/GoesDiggingThroughBoxesForManuals

You're probably right! I didn't see any sort of pamphlet or manual in that box. Then again, I might have grabbed it without knowing and shoved it in my pile of RTFM-NOT! documentation. Results TBD

Thanks guys. If that's the case I'll feel stupid (or just old/drunk, LOL).

In my defense, I did completely rebuild my home studio from the ground up after moving back to TX from MT last year, and just got it finally completed a couple of months ago before taking a hiatus from all the re-lo/rebuild stuff. I'm sure it's 100% on me for missing it, so I'll do another review of everything I set aside during the rewire and see if I can figure it out. Shame on me. =)
Here are some links for you if you don't already have them for manuals etc:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fc-download/
(Don't forget to load proper fw for the FC (Original FC or Mark II FC)

Wiki AXE III is awesome:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Axe-Fx3
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Amp_Models
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yeks_Guide_to_the_Fractal_Audio_Drive_Models
http://archive.axefx.fr/AxeFX III/
http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/fractal.html
https://fracpad.e-junkie.com/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...x-ii-xl-xl-ax8-fx8-axe-fx-iii-and-fm3.120946/

Yeh, I'm sure. You'd laugh at my stack of "things I've never read, but also thought I never had to" manuals.

Getting old[er] sucks, and realizing it sucks even more. LOL
I'm with you.

I read what I need to. The manuals make it relatively easy to find the bits you need right now, leave the rest for "later" ;)

Though it's also true that if you read more, you'll find out about capabilities you hadn't didn't even know were in there.

Another possible way in is Cooper Carter's courses, which are really good broad overviews of each Fractal device, from someone with tons experience working with the best in the biz.

Last edited:
Got'er done!

Amazing what happens when you RTFM, even when you have an aversion to it. =)

FC-12 now works the way I wanted, save the scene access (thanks Matt for the tuner button instructions!!), but I'm sure I'll find the answer to those in the links you fine folks provided.

One of the reasons I went with the FC-12 to begin with was native compatibility with the FX3T and not having to always jump through hoops to get boards like the LF+P+ reconfigured if/when something changed in the Fractal firmware. Didn't happen often, but it was enough to push me toward the Fractal FC this time. Once I've had time 'under the hood' with this setup I'm sure it'll be much easier.

Thanks everyone who jumped in with links and suggestions. Folks like you are what make this forum a pleasure to be a member of.

Another possible way in is Cooper Carter's courses,

Giving that FX3 course a whirl. Betting that'll make things a ton easier than tweaking this/that and learning along the way. Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, mega-impressed with the configurability of the FC-12 with far less customizing than the LF+Pro+ required.

These days the LF+ is considerable overkill for what I need, so analyzed my basic requirements and found them to be pretty simple. The FC setup, after Matt offered an explanation and I watched a couple of Coopers vids, ended up like this.

4 presets with access to 4 scenes plus Tuner, Tempo and Bank +/-. I rarely need more than a clean, lead, heavy OD rhythm, and an EoB tone in any given song, so this should work nicely. The SP1's will be volume/wah, but I also have a dedicated wah if I need to assign one-or-the-other SP1 to something else.

Pretty sure this layout will keep me happy, at least for a while. Now to start building presets/scenes to replace what I had with the FXII MKII.

Thanks again for y'alls input. Every now and then us old dogs needs a kick in the seat as proper motivation. =)

1670198821508.png

Last edited:
If you want to get to the scenes layout, do the foot-rocking Master Layout Menu stomp (as shown in the FC owner's manual in the Introduction),

I'm new to the FC-12 as well, and I did read the manual, so I went through the brief setup steps as you outlined above. I have two problems with the foot-rocking MLM approach, and I fear that you won't be able to help me with either of them. First, I'm trying to pull off this maneuver with bare feet. It's a curved, uneven surface, not ideally suited to a smooth rocking motion. Second, my feet are ticklish as sh**!! lol. I can't be the only one struggling to master this basic FC-12 "technique." I think I may have to find one layout that allows me to do what I want without having to go back and forth using the various options from the MLM menu.

I'm new to the FC-12 as well, and I did read the manual, so I went through the brief setup steps as you outlined above. I have two problems with the foot-rocking MLM approach, and I fear that you won't be able to help me with either of them. First, I'm trying to pull off this maneuver with bare feet. It's a curved, uneven surface, not ideally suited to a smooth rocking motion. Second, my feet are ticklish as sh**!! lol. I can't be the only one struggling to master this basic FC-12 "technique." I think I may have to find one layout that allows me to do what I want without having to go back and forth using the various options from the MLM menu.
I'm with you on the bare feet.

You can use layout links to switch layouts without the MLM. For instance, when I click a preset switch on my presets layout, it also switches to my scenes layout, and my scenes layout has a button to go to presets.

That's most of what I need, maybe access to the looper layout, but I rarely end up actually using it.

I'm with you on the bare feet.

You can use layout links to switch layouts without the MLM. For instance, when I click a preset switch on my presets layout, it also switches to my scenes layout, and my scenes layout has a button to go to presets.

That's most of what I need, maybe access to the looper layout, but I rarely end up actually using it.
Holy crap, that's cool. Can you point me to where I can learn how to set something like that up? If it's the manual (as it probably is), maybe just refer me to the specific section? I am gradually working my way through it.

Layout links are what you need.
Layout Links are triggered only after another switch function.

I can't think of a scenario where I'd always be wanting to go to MLM after execution although maybe someone does?

Simply defining a switch to do Select Layout 9 is much simpler...

Layout Links are triggered only after another switch function.

I can't think of a scenario where I'd always be wanting to go to MLM after execution although maybe someone does?

Simply defining a switch to do Select Layout 9 is much simpler...
You're right, apologies for my drive-by comment during work.

Layout links are how you make a preset recall switch ALSO switch to your scenes layout.

@unix-guy is right that if you just want a switch to call up the MLM, you can assign it the Layout Select action directly.

Back
Top Bottom