FX8 into a clean platform like a Fender amp

Finnster

Inspired
quick question.

I am used to using an amp for OD/distortion. I have never been a pedal guy for that other than boosts and modulations.

How well do the drives sound into a clean platform like a Fender Deluxe? When I use my MKII I usually sway towards Marshalls or Friedman tones. Will I be happy with the FX8 to match those type of tones into a clean amp? If so it could make a single channel clean amp very versatile as opossed to using a channel switcher.

I have a friend who went to NAMM and played the BE Friedman pedal into a clean Buxom Betty and he swore it was darn close to playing the BE-100. This has me thinking.

In all likelihood, you could get in the ballpark. Others here would be a bigger help to get you there. All I can say is, I'm really diggin the drive block. It's definitely on par with the best pedals out there, and I have a Bogner Ecstasy Blue, OCD, Wampler Triplewreck, and Radial Plexitube for direct comparison. I'm REALLY impressed. The FX drive tones I've come up with are awesome (to me anyway), as are ones that other forum members have dialed in. That said, they are not a substitute for my pedals (yet), because I don't have the ear (yet) to dial in their signature EQ curve (well, maybe I have the ear, since I can tell the difference, but don't have the technical skill until I start messing with advanced EQ settings). The FX8 drive is like having a new boutique drive pedal with its own vibe and virtually infinitely tweakable tone. I mean, you can put silicone diode clipping into a Tube Driver circuit, or a high voltage tube circuit into a fuzz face, how cool is that?! :D

The FX8 should be able to get you just about anywhere you want to go as far as driving a clean amp. It may take some adjustments, and you may have to dig a little deeper than just the drive controls, but there is tremendous flexibility in the unit. In certain respects, you can take a basic pedal platform and rebuild it to your taste.

I've always been about starting with as clean a palette as possible and getting all of my OD and distortion from the pedals. I have two Hiwatts and a Fender Twin Reverb at home and rehearse/gig with a second Twin Reverb. As for the tones I can get out of my FX8 with any of these amps...I've never been happier. With that having been said, everyone has their own version of the perfect tone.

I use mine into a Suhr Bella (GREAT clean platform) and have zero complaints. Truly some of he best tone I've gotten in 30 years of playing. The od's are on point.

I've been running into a clean Reverend Kingsnake or an Egnater Tweaker 40. Really loving my od and fuzz tones. All the multifx boxes (way too many) I've ever tried have been lacking in the drive department. The FX8 is the first one I've been really happy with.

I used to use a CAA PT100 for my big distortion sounds but it was hardly grab and go. I've recently converted to a Victory V40 as a clean platform and in any preset on the FX 8 I generally use:
1. RC Boost
2. TS808
3. AC Boost
4. Riot/Ruckus

With those options I can get just about anywhere I need to go including stacking the RC with the Ruckus for solos or just the RC alone on single coils to give 'em a little bump.

Haven't used the PT100 in about 4 months and thinking about turning it into cash.....I'm happy!

As long as you have a good clean platform to start with you can get some great overdriven tones using the drive blocks. I use the blues drive on my BE100's clean channel to get a great pushed Plexi tone ala Free, ZZ Top, ect. and it sounds sweet.

These are all very encouraging answers. Thank you.

Question for LP Freak:

Can you come close to the BE dirty channel using the FX8 into the clean side of the BE?

I used to use a CAA PT100 for my big distortion sounds but it was hardly grab and go. I've recently converted to a Victory V40 as a clean platform and in any preset on the FX 8 I generally use:
1. RC Boost
2. TS808
3. AC Boost
4. Riot/Ruckus

With those options I can get just about anywhere I need to go including stacking the RC with the Ruckus for solos or just the RC alone on single coils to give 'em a little bump.

Haven't used the PT100 in about 4 months and thinking about turning it into cash.....I'm happy!

That's a bold statement about selling the PT100! I'm getting excited.

These are all very encouraging answers. Thank you.

Question for LP Freak:

Can you come close to the BE dirty channel using the FX8 into the clean side of the BE?
To be honest I never needed to so I never tried. I'm pretty sure I could get close knowing the Friedman DNA is already in the clean channel.

I use my FX8 into a Clean JCM800 combo for my function band and the drives work well.

As for replicating a BE100 i'm not sure there's a pedal in there at the moment that could nail that tone , the Ruckus is the closest I would guess. Having said that I bet a more skilled EQ tweaker than me could find a way to get very close to that tone with possibly 2 pedals.

I use my FX8 into a Clean JCM800 combo for my function band and the drives work well.

As for replicating a BE100 i'm not sure there's a pedal in there at the moment that could nail that tone , the Ruckus is the closest I would guess. Having said that I bet a more skilled EQ tweaker than me could find a way to get very close to that tone with possibly 2 pedals.

I'm not sure I actually need as much drive that the BE has. My cover band pretty much plays classic rock to pop, funk and country. We do dabble a bit into some Metallica/Alice n Chains heavy tones. I'm hoping I can get in that range with the drives into a clean-ish tube amp.

I'm not sure I actually need as much drive that the BE has. My cover band pretty much plays classic rock to pop, funk and country. We do dabble a bit into some Metallica/Alice n Chains heavy tones. I'm hoping I can get in that range with the drives into a clean-ish tube amp.

You can. I was going through the presets last night into my Mesa Rectifier Preamp (which has excellent clean channel) and the drives caught me off guard at how good some of them sounded. I've had an FX8 for months now, and I am finally getting to the drives lol :)

I run my FX8 into a Twin Reverb and have never been happier. Love the drives. Have the Rat & Fullrone OD & BB Pre in some of my presets and leave the been happier. I also have the new Roland Blues Cube Artist. It's a SS amp but really sounds like a tube. I have used the FX8 4CM with that amp but recently went back using in front because it just sounds better to me that way for some reason. All that said I have to say that the FX8 is one of the best pieces of gear I've gotten in a long time.

I'm using my FX8 into an Egnater Tweaker 15, the TS808 and TS808 Mod are covering what I need right now. I also know there are other ods in there if I get tired of the tones. I don't have to buy a new pedal all I have to do is turn a few knobs.

Back
Top Bottom