FX8 channel switch a Boss Katana?

Finnster

Inspired
Has anyone tried this? Katana basically has 4 channels and uses a TRS type cable for the Roland footswitch.

I don't have a Katana but was considering trying one with the FX8.

To clarify, I am referring to the combo not the head. The head has a "midi in" so I know that is possible.

It should work now problem at all using the fx8 relay outputs.

Put a TRS cable between the FX8 and the amp then use the Off Tip Ring Steve Both settings in the FX8 to see which setting corresponds to each channel.

It should work now problem at all using the fx8 relay outputs.

Put a TRS cable between the FX8 and the amp then use the Off Tip Ring Steve Both settings in the FX8 to see which setting corresponds to each channel.

Thanks, I will try that when I get the Katana. Really didn't wanna buy the head just for midi. Defeats my goal of a quick grab and go setup.

I seriously doubt it will work with the FX8 with the advanced foot controller jack. I just got a Katana 100 1x12 and have the GA-FC footswitch on order. The footswitch has more possible combinations than you possibly do with a single TRS and latching/momentary switching. I'm pretty sure Roland just chose a TRS for convenience and it's proprietary switching.

The FX8 should work fine with the simple FS-6 input which is just a latching switch. But this only lets you toggle between Channel 1 and 2 (which could be enough depending on your usage).

I read something on Gearpage that said that all of the Katanas have the same MIDI implementation, but you would need some type of adapter to convert MIDI to the USB input of the combo. I don't recall what that device is, and I think the Katana thread is over 130 pages by now.

Katana head with FX8 works great and sounds pretty unbelievable. Not quite as good as my 5150 III, but close enough that I think I'll use it instead of carting around the tube amp. (Save the tubes for recording)

Back
Top Bottom