FX chain for Vocals - any tips?

blaggers

Power User
Im looking to run a vocal mic feed from my mixer into Input 4 on the Axe FX III, so I can sing along with my guitar playing when practicing at home (with headphones on). Ive tried a Studio Compressor -> GEQ (Cutting a nasally 500Hz) -> Vocal Plate reverb (1.6secs, 10% mix with a ducker), but wonder if theres a better way to do this. Ive never processed any vocals before, so interested in what I should investigate? Im using the mixer pre to convert the mic signal - I assume the Axe cant handle a mic input? Any tips? Cheers.

Hi Blaggers,

You're on the right track - the quality of your vocal mic will dictate the quality of the sound however. I'd start with Compressor-EQ->Delay->Reverb, but of course there's a squillion different things you could do.
Thanks
Pauly

you have to use a separate pre for mics.

as for the chain. a vocal chains i like to use goes something like this: comp > comp > eq. then you have 3 sends (at 100% mix): parallel reverb of your choice, ping pong delay, slap delay. you then adjust the levels of the sends. the sends allow you to have multiple tracks going to the fx with differing levels (saves cpu)

i will note that a use the compressors to even out the singing AND to also add some subtle coloring to the vocals. so you may want to do some preamp modeling in your chain for the coloration (sorry i dont remember how to do this on the axe-fx)

Thanks for all your input. I’ve added a 100ms delay which has thickened up the sound nicely. I tried the enhancer block, but it sounds weird, think mono vocals are best.

What does using two compressors achieve? Are they in series or parallel? Do they need different settings?

For a laugh Ive added a Dual Harmony pitch block with a -7 and -12 Harmony and a 100% mix - I can now sing like a Barry White / Satan crossover. Certainly shows how good the pitch tracking is!!

Back
Top Bottom