FW 9.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

slay993

I've learned from wise men that every painter have to know when to stop doing his picture, because after a given moment his work will have an opposite effect to already almost perfect quality. I mean, Axe Fx firmware is enough good to make any additional improvements .Sorry, if you think I'm a wrong, but everybody have to know when to stop to do improvements to his masterpiece.

I've learned from wise men that every painter have to know when to stop doing his picture, because after a given moment his work will have an opposite effect to already almost perfect quality. I mean, Axe Fx firmware is enough good to make any additional improvements .Sorry, if you think I'm a wrong, but everybody have to know when to stop to do improvements to his masterpiece.
the axe-fx is the paint, not the painting. they need to keep producing and improving paint.

@slay993 : I'm confused about something.

You've been a member of the forum for almost eight years. In all that time, you've only made two posts—and you've waited until now to make them. Two identical posts with exactly the same wording, both of them made within five minutes of each other. Both of them suggesting that Fractal should stop development.

Why?

I mean, Axe Fx firmware is enough good to make any additional improvements.

If you think the Axe FX sounds good enough, then stop upgrading.

everybody have to know when to stop to do improvements to his masterpiece.

I don't know you or what you've accomplished, but considering Cliff's achievements with the Axe FX, I trust his judgement.

Further, there's no undo feature in the art world, whereas firmware can be rolled back.

The primary goal of the Axe is to replicate the sound of various tube amps at 100%. As long as there is any approximation or differences, the Axe is not finished.
If you prefer the axe over the real thing, stop upgrading.

The primary goal of the Axe is to replicate the sound of various tube amps at 100%. As long as there is any approximation or differences, the Axe is not finished.
If you prefer the axe over the real thing, stop upgrading.

If that really is the goal, at some point that primary goal will be achieved. I think you could argue that it has been achieved, at least as much as any casual listener would ever be able to tell. And bear in mind that 99% of the people who hear an AxeFx should be casual listeners; people at concerts, listening to the radio or streaming music or whatever. I doubt that virtually any of them would be able to listen to a song and determine if they were hearing a real amp or a modeler.

We've seen cases where players have blind tested real amps against the AxeFX and have trouble telling the difference between the two. So if the goal is to replicate the sound, it's almost done.

We're also seeing that players are feeling less need to fiddle with the inner workings of the amp block to get great tone. So you could say that at some point the goal has shifted to include replicating the amps without needing to touch anything more than the front panel equivalents. But that goal is getting close, too.

It really does feel sometimes like we're 99% of the way there, so is Cliff putting in 10x the effort to deliver 1/10 the improvement? If so, at what point does he decide it's not worth it? What's the next goal? Maybe cost reduction? More models of everything?

Translation:
Dayum ! Stop improving this ! It's killing the competition!!

Hinting toward stopping progressive development is a cop out!

If that really is the goal, at some point that primary goal will be achieved. I think you could argue that it has been achieved, at least as much as any casual listener would ever be able to tell.

Okay, but just as engineers don't record, mix and master to the best of their ability solely for the casual listener, there's an argument to be made for developing gear with the most critical ear in mind.

And bear in mind that 99% of the people who hear an AxeFx should be casual listeners; people at concerts, listening to the radio or streaming music or whatever. I doubt that virtually any of them would be able to listen to a song and determine if they were hearing a real amp or a modeler.

By that logic, engineers should mix and master music for the lowest common denominator because that's who makes up the bulk of casual listeners.

We've seen cases where players have blind tested real amps against the AxeFX and have trouble telling the difference between the two.

A lot of people couldn't tell the difference a few years ago either, but if Cliff had stopped refining the firmware based on that sort of feedback, none of us would be enjoying the excellent improvements that have been instantiated since then.

Further, the vast majority of people who compare Kemper profiles to the source amps they're based on can't tell the difference in blind A/B tests, either. However, I can. So can a number of other Kemper users. Even if it's a game of inches or millimeters, why should Cliff settle for less than perfect replication if he doesn't have to? That isn't to say the Axe FX doesn't sound authentic as is, but if Cliff is able to discern minor discrepancies, I'm all for ironing out every last wrinkle. What skin is it off of anyone else's nose anyway? We, the end-users, benefit in the end. It's about conforming to the highest standards and not accepting compromises.

It really does feel sometimes like we're 99% of the way there, so is Cliff putting in 10x the effort to deliver 1/10 the improvement?

What's the difference between an outstanding audio engineer and a very good one? Very, very minor, incremental improvements that add up. The Axe FX has seen a number of small (and large) refinements over the last few years, but just as you don't judge a painting based on one small stroke, you don't judge the quality of a modeler based on one, small refinement. Small, collective improvements add up over time.

That said, the latest improvements involving Speaker Compression aren't trivial to my ears.

at what point does he decide it's not worth it?

I presume when Cliff is unable to discern discrepancies between the source and reference.

Why is any of this even a discussion? Anyone who feels the Axe FX has arrived can just stop upgrading. The rest of us are enjoying the ride and look forward to further improvements if and when offered.

Last edited:
AFAIC Cliff can stop working on the amps. To me they sounded fine a couple of firmware editions ago and I don't need more amps. The effects on the other hand...... ;):D

@slay993 Interesting topic. I don't feel that fractal should stop development for many of the reasons already discussed. But I do feel we as artist can decide when it's enough. As for realism, imho we're splitting hairs. If you come across the perfect blend of colors for your art work, stop upgrading. It can be tempting, especially when you read all the comments about how this and that is so much better etc.

Personally, I've been very happy all along this journey with a few rare exceptions. As for 9.02 specifically - I'm perfectly content to stay here. The feel, the tones, how well the IR's work and the FX are all excellent. It's very easy to tweak basic as well as advanced parameters and get something incredible. It will take a hell of a lot to get me to move forward from here!

Do I want more, sure, it's our nature. Do I need more, not really. That being said, I'm curious to see what's around the corner too!

Okay, but just as engineers don't record, mix and master to the best of their ability solely for the casual listener, there's an argument to be made for developing gear with the most critical ear in mind.

By that logic, engineers should mix and master music for the lowest common denominator because that's who makes up the bulk of casual listeners.
Why is any of this even a discussion? Anyone who feels the Axe FX has arrived can just stop upgrading. The rest of us are enjoying the ride and look forward to further improvements if and when offered.

I think you're missing my point. I wasn't agreeing that it's time to stop, I was just pondering what the various motivators and goals might be in future development of the product.

The truth is the 99.9% of the people on the planet have never heard an "amp in the room". They've heard them on records, through PA's at concerts, on the radio, in MP3's and so on - every time as picked up through a microphone and then modified before they hit your ears. Plus, massive numbers of those listeners today are listening to low quality streams, lossy MP3's and YouTube videos, through those 99 cent earbuds that came with their smartphone.

So, do you aim for crappy sound because only about 1 in every 1,000,000 listeners are ever going to hear the difference? No, of course not. But that knowledge should put the effort into perspective. There's a cost to improvement, and it's not just Cliff's time and how that, in turn, translates to the price of the unit. It also includes all of the time that users put into the product keeping up with the changes.

We all know that it's not trivial to upgrade the firmware. The actual upgrade part is quick and easy, but then comes hours and hours figuring out how to integrate those changes (or how to un-integrate them) into "our" sound. And face it, for working musicians (which doesn't include me) this is a bread and butter issue. At some point, users are going to say more and more, "it's already good enough for me", and stop upgrading the firmware unless Cliff adds something they specifically want - which is becoming less and less likely to be a "more realistic amp model". And then Cliff is doing his 10x the effort for 1/10 the payback for fewer and fewer customers.

Maybe the payback never drops low enough for Cliff to stop because it's just that satisfying to keep exploring, learning and refactoring the algorithms. Personally, I'd be cool with that but I'm not sure that it would be the right approach from a market point of view.

We used to judge about how good or bad is a new firmware sound in a subjective manner
AFAIK, Cliff does that scientifically based on his references. His references are what gives us consistent improvement, otherwise, would be subjective just like the rest of us.

The truth is only he knows how close it is and where are the actual weaknesses of his process, whether is processing, modeling or measurement.

Last edited:
@slay993 : I'm confused about something.

You've been a member of the forum for almost eight years. In all that time, you've only made two posts—and you've waited until now to make them. Two identical posts with exactly the same wording, both of them made within five minutes of each other. Both of them suggesting that Fractal should stop development.

Why?

Obviously a spy for Line6. :p

Also, we live in a very competitive and changing world.
If you stop, you die. Soon or sooner... Specially in technology.

It's better for everybody if there's room for improvement. :)

Last edited:
I think that the point is that we may be approaching the point of diminishing returns with the current trajectory of firmware updates. While it would be great that the product achieved 100% fidelity to the amps that it models, given that we may be at 98-99% for most amps, it stands to reason that, given finite time and limited resources, firmware development efforts are likely to be better spent on other features that would provide greater usability gains for the product and its users.

For example, getting the pitch block to work like the Digitech Drop would be much more valuable to a greater number of users than to spend hundreds of engineering hours reworking an elusive algorithm or profiling another amp. Or even something a simple as revising Axe Edit with a GUI that looks like the actual amp and the actual effects would make the product appealing and usable to so many more users (mind you -- not taking away functionality, but simply creating a normal/enhaced mode paradigm), or even simply utilizing engineering resources to develop hardware solutions that make the product better or more affordable. In my humble opinion, any of these goals would provide a better ROI for the users than to chase that elusive 1% or spending hundreds of hours profiling yet another amp.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom