FW 22 revelations

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Soooo....

The '65 BassGuy. I think I found my ideal clean-to-mean amp.

Coulda bought a dozen IRL Fender Bassman heads for $99 each at Zapf's in Philly back in the late '80s, before I moved to AZ. They had a 3 foot high wall of them probably 20 feet long. Mostly Silverface ones (more or less the same as the '65).

Both channels have something good on deck. Normal does the clean Fender thing, with a tad more authority than the BandCommander. The Bass channel. Flip the Deep switch off (engage the "Cut" on the Ideal tab) to trim the lows, and it gets close to the Marshall tonality. Crispy, but full bottom, and a tight tone overall.

Cranked, both channels sound good in different ways....

I’m a Marshall guy and that is for the moment one of my favorite amp in the fractal world.

There’s something « full » and alive with it and feels so great to play.

Soooo....

The '65 BassGuy. I think I found my ideal clean-to-mean amp.

Coulda bought a dozen IRL Fender Bassman heads for $99 each at Zapf's in Philly back in the late '80s, before I moved to AZ. They had a 3 foot high wall of them probably 20 feet long. Mostly Silverface ones (more or less the same as the '65).

Both channels have something good on deck. Normal does the clean Fender thing, with a tad more authority than the BandCommander. The Bass channel. Flip the Deep switch off (engage the "Cut" on the Ideal tab) to trim the lows, and it gets close to the Marshall tonality. Crispy, but full bottom, and a tight tone overall.

Cranked, both channels sound good in different ways....
Zapf's on 5th st. I frequented that store almost every day as a wee little lad, lol.

Makes a lot of sense as - IIRC - the '65 BassGuy model is based off Dweezil '65 Bassman head, that was (again IIRC) modded by Blankenship to sound more like a Plexi.

Makes a lot of sense as - IIRC - the '65 BassGuy model is based off Dweezil '65 Bassman head, that was (again IIRC) modded by Blankenship to sound more like a Plexi.

From Cliff…
"It's Dweezil's Blankenship modified Bassman. Dweezil's Bassman has two channels like a regular Bassman. The Normal channel is "normal" and corresponds to the 65 Bassguy Nrml model. The Bass Instrument channel is modified and that's the basis for the new model (Dweezil's B-man). It has a boatload of gain and sounds more like a Plexi than a Fender." [32]

But this is my favorite comment he made about it…
Definitely not your father's Bassman. Has a pissed-off Marshall vibe to it.

There's a guy here in town that has rebuilt a bunch of Bassman heads for studio cats with Ch1 being "blackface" and Ch2 being a Hot Rod Marshall. Was selling them pretty cheap too, but he's dropped off the map lately.

Back
Top Bottom