FW 15.0 has me really bummed...

RichHowe

Inspired
Update: Solved! Cliff is the best! Also I should have pointed out that otherwise I really love 15.0!

OK, so I spent about four and a half hours last night trying to figure out why all my patches had this tiny echo/delay sound to them when completely dry. I re-installed 15.0 beta and 15.0 back and fourth 4 or 5 times each. Each time 15.0 beta sounded perfect and 15.0 had this tiny echo/delay to it. I reloaded my patches before and after resetting the system a few times. I rebooted while holding the recall button down to load a blank preset and then created a patch with just an amp and cab in it. I went through every system parameter to see what could be causing it and could not find anything. No matter what I did 15.0 had that damn tiny echo/delay to it and it was driving me nuts.

Finally, while creating a blank patch for the third time I found the problem. I added just an amp and checked. No echo/delay!? I added a cab and checked. No echo/delay!? I selected my go to cab that I use in about 95% of my patches - Cab 37 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12M25 (RW). ECHO/DELAY!!! Someone, I'm not going to name any names, but his name rhymes with "riff" and "kliff", decided to switch out the High-res version of this cab with an Ultra-res version that has some kind of echo/delay sound to it. If you switch back and forth between the Ultra-res version and the Normal-res version you can hear the echo/delay in the Ultra-res version. Just mute the strings and hit them and you'll hear it.

So, while I'm happy to know that my Axe-Fx II does not have any issues, I'm bummed that the cab I use in about 95% of my patches has been removed from FW 15.0. Unfortunately, I'm one of the ones who can hear a difference between the Normal-res and the High-res cabs so the Normal-res version just isn't doing it for me now. And, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I own almost every commercial cab pack available and yet I keep going back to that cab as my go to cab. It has something in the mids that just sounds "right" to me.

Anyway, I'm hoping that Cliff will take pity on me for all of my trials and tribulations and give me back the High-res version of that cab somehow. If pity is not working I'll try asking nicely. Please? If that's not working I'll try begging. Please, please, please, pretty please, Cliff? If that doesn't work and/or if Cliff can't free up a cab slot for it, or provide it to me because it's a Redwirez cab, maybe he cold share the recipe for it? I have all of the Redwirez cabs (as well as almost all others as mentioned above) and I'd be happy to re-create it myself. I have tried in the past and have gotten close but I can't seem to reproduce that thing with the mids. If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to purchase it from Fractal or Redwirez or both. I'll beg Mike too if I need to.

OK, well I've done all of the pleading I can do. So, now I guess I'll wait and see if the FW god smiles upon me or not. If not, I guess I'll give up guitar forever, sell all of my worldly possessions, and withdraw away into a remote, barren cave in the middle of nowhere. There I'll spend the rest of my days in dim, grey solitude. Never again to see the light of day, the colors of the rainbow, the smile of a child or to hear the sweet, sweet sound of Cab 37 in glorious High-res mode. Slowly withering away until my lungs draw their last breath, my heart beats it's last beat, and the final thought of how Cab 37 used to sound in High-res mode fades from my brain...

Last edited:
Install an older version and create a tone match of the V9 IRs, then save them, and there you go.

OK, so I spent about four and a half hours last night trying to figure out why all my patches had this tiny echo/delay sound to them when completely dry. I re-installed 15.0 beta and 15.0 back and fourth 4 or 5 times each. Each time 15.0 beta sounded perfect and 15.0 had this tiny echo/delay to it. I reloaded my patches before and after resetting the system a few times. I rebooted while holding the recall button down to load a blank preset and then created a patch with just an amp and cab in it. I went through every system parameter to see what could be causing it and could not find anything. No matter what I did 15.0 had that damn tiny echo/delay to it and it was driving me nuts.

Finally, while creating a blank patch for the third time I found the problem. I added just an amp and checked. No echo/delay!? I added a cab and checked. No echo/delay!? I selected my go to cab that I use in about 95% of my patches - Cab 37 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12M25 (RW). ECHO/DELAY!!! Someone, I'm not going to name any names, but his name rhymes with "riff" and "kliff", decided to switch out the High-res version of this cab with an Ultra-res version that has some kind of echo/delay sound to it. If you switch back and forth between the Ultra-res version and the Normal-res version you can hear the echo/delay in the Ultra-res version. Just mute the strings and hit them and you'll hear it.

So, while I'm happy to know that my Axe-Fx II does not have any issues, I'm bummed that the cab I use in about 95% of my patches has been removed from FW 15.0. Unfortunately, I'm one of the ones who can hear a difference between the Normal-res and the High-res cabs so the Normal-res version just isn't doing it for me now. And, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I own almost every commercial cab pack available and yet I keep going back to that cab as my go to cab. It has something in the mids that just sounds "right" to me.

Anyway, I'm hoping that Cliff will take pity on me for all of my trials and tribulations and give me back the High-res version of that cab somehow. If pity is not working I'll try asking nicely. Please? If that's not working I'll try begging. Please, please, please, pretty please, Cliff? If that doesn't work and/or if Cliff can't free up a cab slot for it, or provide it to me because it's a Redwirez cab, maybe he cold share the recipe for it? I have all of the Redwirez cabs (as well as almost all others as mentioned above) and I'd be happy to re-create it myself. I have tried in the past and have gotten close but I can't seem to reproduce that thing with the mids. If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to purchase it from Fractal or Redwirez or both. I'll beg Mike too if I need to.

OK, well I've done all of the pleading I can do. So, now I guess I'll wait and see if the FW god smiles upon me or not. If not, I guess I'll give up guitar forever, sell all of my worldly possessions, and withdraw away into a remote, barren cave in the middle of nowhere. There I'll spend the rest of my days in dim, grey solitude. Never again to see the light of day, the colors of the rainbow, the smile of a child or to hear the sweet, sweet sound of Cab 37 in glorious High-res mode. Slowly withering away until my lungs draw their last breath, my heart beats it's last beat, and the final thought of how Cab 37 used to sound in High-res mode fades from my brain...

Thanks guys, but it was not one of the version 9 cabs and I've tried tone matching before and maybe I'm not good at it or I'm doing something wrong but I've never had much luck with tone matching. And, the one's I did do ended up sounding different in a later FW. That TM block and I do not seem to get a long.

Sounds like you might be hearing the room reflections in the ultrarez file. Since it's a red wire IR, you could buy the original .wav from them and truncate it to 42ms yourself, then import it back into the axe fx.

Sounds like you might be hearing the room reflections in the ultrarez file. Since it's a red wire IR, you could buy the original .wav from them and truncate it to 42ms yourself, then import it back into the axe fx.

Thanks! I have all of the Redwirez cabs and I don't even need Ultra-Res, High-res is what I want. The issue is, I believe this cab is a mix that Cliff made and I can't seem to replicate it.

Thanks! I have all of the Redwirez cabs and I don't even need Ultra-Res, High-res is what I want. The issue is, I believe this cab is a mix that Cliff made and I can't seem to replicate it.

Experiment with mixing several TC30 .wav IRs from that cab.

Wow!! That was a pretty dark and gloomy post if I've ever seen one.

I'll give tone matching it a try this weekend and see how the results come out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe someone here with two Axe-Fx IIs can just sweep it for you.
That works flawlessly.

You may have to steal Cliff's recipe book! Alternatively you could try experimenting with the normal res cab + the room controls in the cab block (sparingly). The biggest difference between normal res, hi res and ultra res irs comes from the room reflections. You could try to add some of these back in artificially, although it probably won't sound quite the same.

I wouldn't think that it'd be a major issue to get the recipe from someone at FAS for this.

Can't you just save the right one in a user slot? Then after updating you can take this user cab. Or am i saying something impossibly stupid right now?

Did not try it myself....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im curious about the echo?! why would an ir echo that?

The UR IRs are long enough to have a slight echo in them, if the IR in question is mixed so that you can hear the room, eg. there's a mic far from the speaker mixed in. But the UR is not long enough to replicate the room completely, therefore it sounds a bit weird. Like OP, I don't like these short echoes in any IRs, close mic is the world standard in guitar tones.

Back
Top Bottom