FW 10.0

Flight316

Hey guys, I have not seen or heard so forgive me if I havent dug deep enough, But! was wondering if there has been any info on what we can and or will expect to see in FW 10.0?? Not complaining that its not out!, just curious if there has been any talk or reference as to what will be in it??

In no particular order....lol

In V10 you can choose between Tetrode and Pentode power tubes. So if you want KT88 you would set the power tube type to Tetrode (since KT stands for Kinkless Tetrode).

--------------------------------------------------------

So I've spent a few weeks writing a statistical analysis module for the Axe-Fx and using it to compare the actual amp with the Axe-Fx (part of the MIMIC processing). The results were surprising in some cases. Out of this I have rewritten the triode and pentode modeling based on the statistical comparisons. This also allows me to fine-tune the damping and bias points.

It is a subtle but noticeable improvement IMO. The amps feel and sound more dynamic and "spanky" to me.

Stock amp model, stock cab models, nothing fancy (especially the playing :) )

There is chance this new statistical analysis module could help Fractal Audio develop and tweak even more "items" than amps?
Yes, it can be used to analyze and compare any "sigmoid" nonlinearity (i.e. a drive pedal).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just scored a '69 SLP 100. So V10 will have Plexi 50W Normal, Plexi 50W Treble, Plexi 100W Normal and Plexi 100W Treble.

-------------------------------------

I didn't know about the improved tone matching block :eek:
Much improved resolution and low-frequency accuracy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My presets are nothing special. I don't touch any advanced parameters. I just use my ears.

Yes, the bass is tighter and more crunchy in V10.

-------------------------------------------------------

The IR user slots are still 50. I could increase it to 100 but it presents a minor problem. A system dump/restore would include only the first 50. So if people can live with not being able to dump/restore the upper 50 then it's fairly easy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/64593-nothing-like-real-plexi-6.html#post799919

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have increased the number of user cabs to 100.

------------------------------------------------------------

A new addition to the family (and soon to be added to V10):
1969 Marshall | Facebook

------------------------

I didn't adjust any advanced parameters. The only thing I did was max the MV, crank the mid and treble and add some high end with the graphic EQ which are all things that I believe Eddie did. Then I did a tone match. Even without the tone match it's very close though but the formants are naturally different.

For the reverb I used the medium cathedral and increased the pre-delay slightly.

You won't get this without V10 though. The distortion characteristic is different in V10. The tonal balance is very similar but the breakup in V10 is less controlled. It's raw and nasty. The statistical analysis showed that the Axe-Fx was too polite in it's distortion curves and not asymmetric enough. Now it's rude, crunchy and pissed off sounding and unpredictable at times. Sometimes I hit a note and amusing things happen. Then I switch to the real amp and find that the real amp does the same thing. Changes in pick angle can make the note sound completely different. Crank the MV and the amp spits and sizzles and sounds like it's going to blow up.

Some folks are probably going to not like it but I've left the V9 modeling in there for them. V9 (and the earlier firmwares) were more like ideal amplifiers that a PhD student would design. V10 is just lot's of fun, quirky and bombastic. If you like real amps with all the crazy things that happen then I think you'll like V10.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[h=2]Guess What Amp I Just Bought[/h]
100W Dumble Overdrive Special

[h=2]FAS shooting new IRs this week ![/h]
Great news !

See here:

And OT @some board admin : We can't post anymore in the FAS sub-forum section dedicated to IRs/User Cabs.

------------------

[h=2]Studio Report[/h]
Our schedule got cut short due to the impending blizzard but we did get two full days in. We collected around 265 IRs and a bunch of impedance data. The IRs sound great. Version 10 sounded amazing.

-----------------------------

It's not technically a plexi because it's a metal panel but, well, it's a plexi. '72 50W. A PPIMV was installed. I removed that. Sounds awesome. Model sounds awesome.

-------------------------------------------------------

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by FractalAudio
BTW, the Double Verb in V10 is matched to LVC's Twin Reverb. The beta testers say it sounds great.
One of the best 60's BF twin's I have ever owned!

That is awesome!!!!!!

folks you are in for a treat!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Axe-Edit will be out very soon, as will be V10. I would just stick it out.

It'll be here when it gets here. There's no official release date other than "soon".

He didn't ask when, he asked if there was any hints as to what will be in it.

The answer is 'Yes'.. lots of hints in fact. Improved modeling, a bunch of new amps, more user IR slots and something great called 'MIMIC'. Look for any post by FractalAudio, click the username and select "find posts by user" to list Cliff's previous posts where he dropped lots of good info.

Good recap gittarzann. It's amazing that Fractal is able to release all these improvements so quickly.

Don't forget that he reworked all the FAS models, including switching them from direct to alternating current modeling. This FW update is going to be in someways quite subtle, and in some ways MAJOR HUGE! I know I'm basically frothing at the mouth to get my hands on it. I'm ready for some seriously out of control tubey distortion high gain stuff. Yum.

Server Too busy

It should by the Geneva Convention be forbidden for everybody but Cliff to post a Thread subject line "FW10" since it can cause serious heart failure.

Today It is not easy to access the forum. "Server Too busy" problems are back again.

That's what happens when the bots detect the line FW10 on a thread :lol

Wow! Looks like I bought my axe 2 just in time! Could be me but, looks like this is one of the best if not theeee best upgrade to date! Now Iam really pumped! Thanks guys cant wait!!!!!

There is plenty more little tidbits I didn't put in my post above....

I just grabbed a bunch of posts by Cliff and posted them up for the OP.

I think I read that Axe-Edit is going to be able to update the MFC.... (I hope it will be an editor for it as well). Also, Axe-Edit is going to have some type of robot..(Axe-Robot IIRC) that will check the Axe-Fx against firmware updates...or Axe-Edit against currently loaded firmware.

Reworked power amp modeling (IIRC).

Cliff did have some release notes posted up, but I can't find them for the life of me...perhaps they were removed?

Cliff did have some release notes posted up, but I can't find them for the life of me...perhaps they were removed?

Here they are:

Still lots to do. I have some amps coming in and I still have a bunch of amps to put through the MIMIC process.

This is what I have so far:

************************************************** *****************************

NOTE: THIS IS A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE, PARTICULARLY IN REGARDS TO AMPLIFIER MODELING. THIS FIRMWARE MAY, AND PROBABLY WILL, CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

Implemented “Multi-point Iterative Matching and Impedance Correction” technology (MIMIC, TM, Patent Applied For) to amp models. MIMIC applies analytic signals to an amplifier and captures the fine nuances of each amp at various points in the circuit and corrects each model vs. its theoretical implementation. In some cases the difference can be substantial, in other cases the difference is minimal. This depends on the layout of the amp and the various parasitics involved. MIMIC has the advantage of applying these corrections at the appropriate location in the amp model rather than as just an output EQ so that the various controls of the model behave virtually identically to the actual amp. For example, the Modern modes of a Dual Rectifier are highly sensitive to Master Volume with the tone becoming thicker as the MV is increased. MIMIC preserves this behavior rather than just getting louder as the Master Volume is increased.

Fixed a myriad of mistakes in the amp models as MIMIC also identifies when there are significant deviations between the theoretical model and the actual amp.

Models now default to a starting Master Volume setting when selected. Also, the proper setting for non-MV amps is now a Master Volume setting of 10.0. Non-MV amps, therefore, will default to a value of 10.0 when selected. Furthermore, the MV taper for amps with master volume controls now matches the actual amp. If more MV drive is desired for non-MV amps, the new MSTR VOL TRIM parameter in the Advanced GUI page can be used to increase (or decrease) the Master Volume.

Tweaked power amp modeling slightly to increase even-order harmonics. This makes most models “sweeter”.

Improved triode modeling removes “glare” from distortion yielding greater clarity and string separation. Note that the Triode Hardness parameter operates differently than before and also defaults an appropriate value when the model type is selected. Existing presets are automatically updated upon recall.

All Recto models have been reworked. Note that the Orange Modern and Red Modern models have no negative feedback and therefore the Presence control is a Hi Cut control. The operation of this control is reversed as compared to the actual amp. If the amp’s Presence control is fully clockwise the corresponding setting of the model’s Hi Cut control is fully ccw. Also note that the model’s Hi Cut control has about twice the range of the actual amp so fully ccw on the amp is equal to about noon on the model. As noted in the paragraph on MIMIC, the Modern modes are highly sensitive to MV setting. Higher MV settings result in more midrange focus while lower MV settings produce a more scooped tone. It is recommended to experiment with the MV setting to achieve the desired tone while compensating for the level increase/decrease with the Level control.

Completely reworked 65 Bassguy model based on Dweezil Zappa’s amp.

Reworked Euro Blue and Red models as bright cap values were incorrect. For best results it is recommended to reset the model by selecting another model and then reselecting the desired model.

Fixed incorrect inter-stage coupling cap in Wrecker 1 model. Also increased maximum MV value slightly as this was a little low.

Completely reworked PVH 6210 model based on “Block Letter” EVH 5150. This model has been renamed “PVH 6160 Block”.

Added “PVH 6160 II” model based on a Peavey 6505+.

Added "Solo 100 Clean" model based on the clean channel of a Soldano SLO100.

The gain of the USA Lead models has been increased by about two as most people set the Drive knob higher than the setting used in the original models.

Added “USA Pre Green” and “USA Pre Yellow amp models based on Mesa Triaxis LD2 modes. Note that these were modeled with the Triaxis Presence control at maximum as this control is actually a hi-cut control.

Fixed wrong bass taper on 5150 tone stack.

Fixed several minor errors in 5153 Blue and Red models. Fixed wrong bass capacitor value in 5153 Blue tone stack.

Removed Mid Freq parameters from Speaker tab of amp block. MIMIC renders these controls irrelevant and better results are obtained by using any of the EQ resources.

Fixed Hi Cut control in Amp block not working properly for some amp types.

Removed all Motor Drive processing in cab block if Motor Drive is set to zero. This is subtle but there was a tiny bit of coloration before even when the Motor Drive was off.

Removed redundant parameters from Amp block Advanced tab. Also removed grid excursion parameters. These parameters can still be accessed via Axe-Edit.

Changed outermost bands in all graphic EQs to shelving types.

Fixed FX Loop LVL 1 parameter getting corrupted during scene recalls.

i would like to have the new axe edit much rather than firmware 10. i hate midi ox. i don't like to work on the front panel for tone editing and creation.

i think the new stable axe edit should be the priority for FAS.

Back
Top Bottom