Full Factory Reset/Restore Help Please

guitarman56

I bought an Axe FX II XL + second hand. I'd like to do a full/complete factory reset. Is there a quick list somewhere on the steps to take?
Thanks

Could I trouble you for a moment? I'm just having a hard time getting started. Headphone works fine, but nothing else. Here is my setup. I have the usb going to my PC. I'm getting no sound even with the in and outputs set within the system settings on the PC. I also have the left and right outputs on the back of the Axe Fx going to my Scarlett 2i2 which goes into my pc and DAW. No sound there either. I'm just having a devil of a time just getting started in the right direction.

If your headphones are working then that means the Axe Fx is producing sound for Output 1.

Which Output is connected to your Scarlett? If it's Output 1 then it should be getting signal.

If it's Output 2 then you either need to have Output 2 set to Copy Output 1 in global settings or you need the signal routed there in the preset.

Can you try hooking your speakers directly to the Axe Fx temporarily?

That would confirm that the analog output is generating sound... Although headphones and Output 1 use the same sound module, so if one is working both should be.

Last edited:
Audio Interface: I had outs L and R going to it. My Scarlett 2i2 has two inputs. So I used them both.
Studio Monitors: This works fine. I went from Outs L and R to each monitors input.
Based on what I'm hearing through the headphones and direct to the studio monitors, I'm truly not impressed with the quality of the presets. Which by the way, my unit only has about 30 presets. Is this normal?
I did set the I/O levels of the usb input signal. And, the USB driver is installed.

I'm truly not impressed with the quality of the presets. Which by the way, my unit only has about 30 presets. Is this normal?
No, that's not normal.

There should be 384, I believe.

Go here:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

What firmware is on it?

For some people the Factory presets work great and others not so much.

I never really used them...

Also, they tend to be dialed in for playing loud... They may need to be adjusted for Fletcher Munson effect if you're playing quieter (not unique to Fractal).

Thanks: Which one specifically do I download to get all the presets? I see Quantum, etc, but I don't know what that is.

Firmware is Firmware. There are no presets in firmware.

Presets is the one called Preset Banks A, B and C.

ARES 2.0 was the last firmware.

Presets may sound better on Quantum as it's the closest to when they were created.

That did it. I have all the presets now. I felt something was wrong when I was only seeing around 30 presets with blank spaces. Thanks again

Question: I've got all the updates/software loaded and have all the presets now. Things are looking up for sure. Now, I would like to Connect the Axe FX to my studio monitors without going through my DAW. Can I use regular guitar cables or should I use actual speaker cables? And, would there be a difference in sound?

That will depend on your speakers.

You can use 1/4" TS (instrument) cables or XLR cables from the Axe Fx.

Speaker cables are for connecting from a power amp to passive speakers.

Back
Top Bottom