Fryette Powerstation as a Loadbox Help

GuitarGuy316

Inspired
I need some help. I have the general work flow in my mind but just checking if this is the best way to set this up. Essentially I am creating a preset that uses the line out from the Powerstation into the Axe. For simplicity sake, let's assume I am not running anything in front of the real amp.

Guitar -> Amp input
Powerstation Line Out -> Axe Input 4 (assuming TS cable since Axe doesn't have a mic-pre so you can't use XLR?)
Axe Input 4 Left -> Cab+Delay+Reverb blocks -> Ouput 1 (Studio Monitors via XLR)

In theory, this is all that needs to be done? Are there any settings in the Input block that need to be changed since it's line level coming in? Can you shut off the input gate completely in the Input block? What is the appropriate level that I should see coming in, -12dB or so? Do I need to do a sum of L+R or just mono L in the input?

Maybe there are other things I'm missing but just trying to make sure I have all the proper gain staging, line levels, and workflow correct.

To be honest, I ran this setup into a Quad Cortex and those have a XLR input that you can change from Instrument to Mic so it was pretty simple.

I don't anything about the powerstation so I feel bad even chiming in and take this with a grain of salt, but assuming the powerstation line out is actually line level (i dont know why it wouldnt be) you wouldnt need a mic pre, i dont know why you wouldnt be able to use XLR

This is super simple. Don’t overthink it:
  • Guitar to Amp
  • Amp to PS
  • PS to Axe (you can use the XLR connection without power)
  • On the grid, popular the appropriate input, a Cab or IR block, and the effects you’d like to use
  • The grid ends with the appropriate output
E Z P Z

This is super simple. Don’t overthink it:
  • Guitar to Amp
  • Amp to PS
  • PS to Axe (you can use the XLR connection without power)
  • On the grid, popular the appropriate input, a Cab or IR block, and the effects you’d like to use
  • The grid ends with the appropriate output
E Z P Z
Thanks. I guess I wasn’t sure about the line level with TS or XLR to the Axe.

Now the next step is basically a modified 4CM. In this case, I assume Humbuster cables will be necessary?

Now the next step is basically a modified 4CM. In this case, I assume Humbuster cables will be necessary?
Guitar -> Axe-Fx 3 IN1 -> pre-fx blocks -> OUT3 -> Amp front input
Amp speaker out -> Fryette Amp in
Fryette XLR out -> Axe-Fx 3 IN2 or IN3 -> post-fx blocks -> OUT1 -> studio monitors

That's about it.

I need some help. I have the general work flow in my mind but just checking if this is the best way to set this up. Essentially I am creating a preset that uses the line out from the Powerstation into the Axe. For simplicity sake, let's assume I am not running anything in front of the real amp.

Guitar -> Amp input
Powerstation Line Out -> Axe Input 4 (assuming TS cable since Axe doesn't have a mic-pre so you can't use XLR?)
Axe Input 4 Left -> Cab+Delay+Reverb blocks -> Ouput 1 (Studio Monitors via XLR)

In theory, this is all that needs to be done? Are there any settings in the Input block that need to be changed since it's line level coming in? Can you shut off the input gate completely in the Input block? What is the appropriate level that I should see coming in, -12dB or so? Do I need to do a sum of L+R or just mono L in the input?

Maybe there are other things I'm missing but just trying to make sure I have all the proper gain staging, line levels, and workflow correct.

To be honest, I ran this setup into a Quad Cortex and those have a XLR input that you can change from Instrument to Mic so it was pretty simple.

I have just got my Fryette and do exactly this. There is no problem using the XLR out of the Fryette into the Axe-Fx. I do exactly your suggested routing into it and send the output to a couple of CLRs for a Wet/Dry/Wet setup. The Fryette has a line level pot on the back too if needed.

Between the two units plethora of I/O options, you are covered for literally everything you want to experiment with. The Axe-Fx in the Fryette effects loop works great.

I was particularly surprised with how well it worked as a power amp for the Axe-Fx Amp models. The Fryette is really quite a transparent power amp and so you can leave most things untouched in the Axe-Fx realm (power amp modelling remains on etc) and just choose a pleasing speaker impedance curve to use (you may not like the provided reative loadbox impedance curves - I didn't). Send the Axe outpu to the Fryette FX Return (not line input) and it gives you a whole new world to explore with your Axe models driving a tube power amp at manageble volumes!

All in all an excellent bit of kit that works brilliantly in multiple ways with your Axe-Fx. You are going to enjoy it!

I have just got my Fryette and do exactly this. There is no problem using the XLR out of the Fryette into the Axe-Fx. I do exactly your suggested routing into it and send the output to a couple of CLRs for a Wet/Dry/Wet setup. The Fryette has a line level pot on the back too if needed.

Between the two units plethora of I/O options, you are covered for literally everything you want to experiment with. The Axe-Fx in the Fryette effects loop works great.

I was particularly surprised with how well it worked as a power amp for the Axe-Fx Amp models. The Fryette is really quite a transparent power amp and so you can leave most things untouched in the Axe-Fx realm (power amp modelling remains on etc) and just choose a pleasing speaker impedance curve to use (you may not like the provided reative loadbox impedance curves - I didn't). Send the Axe outpu to the Fryette FX Return (not line input) and it gives you a whole new world to explore with your Axe models driving a tube power amp at manageble volumes!

All in all an excellent bit of kit that works brilliantly in multiple ways with your Axe-Fx. You are going to enjoy it!
100% I use the FX Return. I’ve been using the Powerstation that way for awhile. Initially the line in was underwhelming but talked with Fryette and using the FX input on the Powerstation is night and day difference.

Yeah I’ve found I need to turn down the line output level quite a bit running a 5150 around 10am on the post gain knob. What level of signal do you find is best to send into the Axe from the Powerstation? Maybe like -12dB to -18dB?

I’ve never tried the various loadbox curves and there is no Fryette one. I tend to start with matching the curve to real cab and go from there.

Necessary? No. Helpful? Maybe. I’ve only ever had one amp get a little hissy with my Axe in front. My 5153, Prosonic, Lynx, 3120, and VC35 have all been pretty quiet. My Kraken VX benefitted from humbuster cables.

Power Station seems a bit unnecessary if you just needing a load box. Cool unit for doing the whole reamp thing, fx loop etc, but for like 1/3rd to half the price you could get a Fractal load box, the Suhr reactive load, or even just a resistive load with a line out like the $99 Behringer copy of the Jetrulator.
Then just go from the amp to load box line out to fractal for cab, post amp effects

Power Station seems a bit unnecessary if you just needing a load box. Cool unit for doing the whole reamp thing, fx loop etc, but for like 1/3rd to half the price you could get a Fractal load box, the Suhr reactive load, or even just a resistive load with a line out like the $99 Behringer copy of the Jetrulator.
Then just go from the amp to load box line out to fractal for cab, post amp effects
It’s not because I use it as a power amp for the Axe into a real cab and as an attenuator if you will. Serves 3 purposes.

Guitar -> Axe-Fx 3 IN1 -> pre-fx blocks -> OUT3 -> Amp front input
Amp speaker out -> Fryette Amp in
Fryette XLR out -> Axe-Fx 3 IN2 or IN3 -> post-fx blocks -> OUT1 -> studio monitors

That's about it.
Why Fryette XLR line out vs line out Jack who benefits volume control ...?

This sounds like what I'm running. Axe 4cm w\ amp, amp to loadbox, then splitting from loadbox to a cab and DI back into the Axe for IRs.

...not at my PC rn, but lmk if you want me to share the preset for routing.

Yeah I’ve found I need to turn down the line output level quite a bit running a 5150 around 10am on the post gain knob. What level of signal do you find is best to send into the Axe from the Powerstation? Maybe like -12dB to -18dB?
Yeah, normal gain staging rules apply for individual setup. Don't forget there is a Boost/Pad setting in the Axe I/O section for each of output 3 and output 4 to boost the output D/A converter and vary noise floor according to signal being used.

100% I use the FX Return. I’ve been using the Powerstation that way for awhile. Initially the line in was underwhelming but talked with Fryette and using the FX input on the Powerstation is night and day difference.

Hi, sorry to jump in,

I run my Axe 3 into the Line input of my PS2. I'm interested to learn more about why using the FX input is night and day difference?

What did Fryette say?

Thanks.

It’s not because I use it as a power amp for the Axe into a real cab and as an attenuator if you will. Serves 3 purposes.

Ah, I gotcha…

Thought you were looking at one just for the purpose of a load box, for which it seemed overkill, but also as a nice 6L6 power amp it’s a great tool

Hi, sorry to jump in,

I run my Axe 3 into the Line input of my PS2. I'm interested to learn more about why using the FX input is night and day difference?

What did Fryette say?

Thanks.
I didn't feel like there was enough punch and volume for a 100W power section. I spoke to them and they recommended to try using the FX loop as that goes right into the power tubes bypassing any other circuitry. I believe the line in input is at a lower volume level.

Try this experiement. Set your volume on the front and don't touch your amp or Powerstation. Run the Axe through the line in and then switch your cable to the FX loop input. Right away I notice higher volume output, punch, etc.
Ah, I gotcha…

Thought you were looking at one just for the purpose of a load box, for which it seemed overkill, but also as a nice 6L6 power amp it’s a great tool
I have the PS100, which is KT88 I believe instead of 6L6 that comes in the PS2.

Back
Top Bottom