Friedman HBE C45 Firmware Shootout (Ares vs. Cygnus x2)

Hi everyone! Firstly, I want to clarify that this thread isn't meant to be a complaint or any sort of firmware-bashing or anything like that. I'm posting just for the sake of sharing my findings and hearing everyone's opinion. Secondly, I love Cygnus and would never want to revert to the older firmwares or their sound. Having said that, I've always missed the tones I got from the HBE C45 in Ares, hence this shootout to settle the debate in my head once and for all. I've tried to keep it as "scientific" as possible for me, but I am by no means an expert in shooting out gear or making videos and such of the same; I may have overlooked something during the test and would love to hear how I can correct myself!

(Time stamps are in the video description on YouTube that make it easier to toggle around different clips. Since this is an unlisted video so you might have to use the "Watch on YouTube" button to be able to see the description. If someone knows how to create "chapters" on YouTube based on timestamps, I'd appreciate the help!)

So there had been some discussion on various threads (most recently in the FM3 firmware 6.01 thread) about how the Friedman amps sound different between Ares and Cygnus. This is a quick shootout of the Friedman HBE C45 model in the Axe Fx III between (three) different firmwares. The main objective was to see how different the amp model sounds between the two big firmware families of the Axe Fx III. There's a beta version of the Cygnus firmware where the 2020 BE-100 Deluxe version was used, which I've included for curious minds. I've also thrown in the JVM OD2 Orange and the FAS Modern I models from Cygnus X2 for comparison as those are my go-to amps these days for anything high-gain. While the Friedman HBE C45 was my go-to for anything high-gain in Ares, I shifted to other amps in Cygnus. To achieve those Friedman-like/mod-ed Marshall modern high gain tones, I go to the JVM model and for other high-gain needs, I use the FAS Modern I.

Overall, my conclusions are that the Ares HBE does sound different, and tweaking advanced parameters in Cygnus kinda helps get there, but it still does not sound 1:1. I don't mind that since Cygnus is much better sounding in all departments, just that the Friedmans sound a lot different than before. This shootout finally lays this whole Ares HBE vs Cygnus HBE to rest in mind. I hope others can find this useful, even if it is just for some food for thought.

I've used different settings for the HBE in each firmware, which are indicated in the video as follows:
2020 Parameters: this means that all parameters in the amp block are stock for Ares; I've tried to match these in Cygnus X2 as well as close as I could, but of course there are limitations as to what one can do "over the hood" with deeper parameters. They surely won't sound the same even if the values are the same.
2020 Settings: this means that the basic settings (treble, middle, bass, gain, presence, resonance, master volume) are from my 2020 preset. This reflects my tastes from that time.
2023 Parameters: this means that all advanced parameters in the amp block are stock for Cygnus X2.
2023 Settings: this indicates that the basic settings in the amp block are updated to my current taste.
Mods: this indicates modifications in the amp block as per various suggestions by users on the Fractal forum. These include mods to master bias excursion, negative feedback, and input EQ.

I should also mention that I have used the same IR (ML Sound Lab's Best IR in the World) across all presets. This is, of course, for uniformity's sake since this is the IR I was using in Ares.

Hope this helps!

Ares seems stiffer and thigh. Un-authentic, but spot on for aggressive metal!
You should try to audiction first "stock advanced" setting, then, one at a time, try to remove unwanted "looseness" tweaking DC current, negative fdbk, bias, and trafo match. There should be a how to stiff post from Cliff himself in the forum.

Hi everyone! Firstly, I want to clarify that this thread isn't meant to be a complaint or any sort of firmware-bashing or anything like that. I'm posting just for the sake of sharing my findings and hearing everyone's opinion. Secondly, I love Cygnus and would never want to revert to the older firmwares or their sound. Having said that, I've always missed the tones I got from the HBE C45 in Ares, hence this shootout to settle the debate in my head once and for all. I've tried to keep it as "scientific" as possible for me, but I am by no means an expert in shooting out gear or making videos and such of the same; I may have overlooked something during the test and would love to hear how I can correct myself!

(Time stamps are in the video description on YouTube that make it easier to toggle around different clips. Since this is an unlisted video so you might have to use the "Watch on YouTube" button to be able to see the description. If someone knows how to create "chapters" on YouTube based on timestamps, I'd appreciate the help!)

So there had been some discussion on various threads (most recently in the FM3 firmware 6.01 thread) about how the Friedman amps sound different between Ares and Cygnus. This is a quick shootout of the Friedman HBE C45 model in the Axe Fx III between (three) different firmwares. The main objective was to see how different the amp model sounds between the two big firmware families of the Axe Fx III. There's a beta version of the Cygnus firmware where the 2020 BE-100 Deluxe version was used, which I've included for curious minds. I've also thrown in the JVM OD2 Orange and the FAS Modern I models from Cygnus X2 for comparison as those are my go-to amps these days for anything high-gain. While the Friedman HBE C45 was my go-to for anything high-gain in Ares, I shifted to other amps in Cygnus. To achieve those Friedman-like/mod-ed Marshall modern high gain tones, I go to the JVM model and for other high-gain needs, I use the FAS Modern I.

Overall, my conclusions are that the Ares HBE does sound different, and tweaking advanced parameters in Cygnus kinda helps get there, but it still does not sound 1:1. I don't mind that since Cygnus is much better sounding in all departments, just that the Friedmans sound a lot different than before. This shootout finally lays this whole Ares HBE vs Cygnus HBE to rest in mind. I hope others can find this useful, even if it is just for some food for thought.

I've used different settings for the HBE in each firmware, which are indicated in the video as follows:
2020 Parameters: this means that all parameters in the amp block are stock for Ares; I've tried to match these in Cygnus X2 as well as close as I could, but of course there are limitations as to what one can do "over the hood" with deeper parameters. They surely won't sound the same even if the values are the same.
2020 Settings: this means that the basic settings (treble, middle, bass, gain, presence, resonance, master volume) are from my 2020 preset. This reflects my tastes from that time.
2023 Parameters: this means that all advanced parameters in the amp block are stock for Cygnus X2.
2023 Settings: this indicates that the basic settings in the amp block are updated to my current taste.
Mods: this indicates modifications in the amp block as per various suggestions by users on the Fractal forum. These include mods to master bias excursion, negative feedback, and input EQ.

I should also mention that I have used the same IR (ML Sound Lab's Best IR in the World) across all presets. This is, of course, for uniformity's sake since this is the IR I was using in Ares.

Hope this helps!

IMO it the mids , the Ares clip has much more upper mid pres and as a result is a bit more articulate and tighter

The Cygnus out of the gate is thicker darker and has more low mid content

The Cygnus w the mods actually comes fairly close to your original tones if it is off still it fairly slight and with a couple more tweaks I think it would be a non issue

The Cygnus w the mods actually comes fairly close to your original tones if it is off still it fairly slight and with a couple more tweaks I think it would be a non issue
I reached the same conclusion as this. "Cygnus Mod" is different, but it's the closest possible option. I'm sure if I really sit down and fine-comb it, I can get 99% of the way there. But I don't see this as an "issue" to be "corrected". I was bothered by it initially, but I realised very soon that it's much more fun and entertaining to look elsewhere for awesome tones.

Can you share the "2023 Settings Cygnus mod" Preset?
I use Friedman as my main preset and yours sound great :) I like to test it :)

Can you share the "2023 Settings Cygnus mod" Preset?
Ah yes, thanks for reminding me! I was planning to share the preset but forgot :)

The cab I used (in the video and in this preset) can be found here. It's @ML SOUND LAB 's Best IR in the World, which is a free IR of an oversize Mesa 4x12 with V30s through a 57 and 421. You'll also find the JVM and FAS Modern from the shootout in there!

Attachments

• Moregain Friedman.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 49
Ah yes, thanks for reminding me! I was planning to share the preset but forgot :)

The cab I used (in the video and in this preset) can be found here. It's @ML SOUND LAB 's Best IR in the World, which is a free IR of an oversize Mesa 4x12 with V30s through a 57 and 421. You'll also find the JVM and FAS Modern from the shootout in there!
Love the patch name
Moregain Freidman 😀

Thanks for sharing it :) I attaced my Friedman. But i think for most of the people it will be to bass heavy. It`s for my headphones and my taste of tone whn i`m practicing for myself.My ir`s are from valhallir a mesa 4x12 and i won`t share becase of copyright :)
But with the mikko ir it will also sound fine i think.
I use BK Aftermarth Pickups in my Hydra7 so that you have to tweek the gain maybe :)

Attachments

• Friedman.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 19
Could you tell us more?

There should be a how to stiff post from Cliff himself in the forum.
Could you share the link to the post?

Could you tell us more?

Could you share the link to the post?
If you are talking about tightening up the amp there are many ways here are a few you can try
Low cut in the amp block
Tight switch in the amp block
Master bias excursion
Tube hardness
Negative feedback
reducing Compression in the preamp
Increase B+ voltage

That’s some of them , I am sure there are more

Back
Top Bottom