Friedman ASC-10 // Best Settings and Practices?

grantcooper2

Inspired
Read through most of the threads already but it’s been awhile since been discussed and many fractal firmware updates have occurred so wanted to throw this out there!

Long time Fractal user but have been gone for a few years as I went into my cyclical tube amp era. Back with a Fractal FM9 Turbo and a Friedman ASC-10.

Sounds pretty great but wondering how people are running theirs? I’m mainly interested in a semi flexible but still consistent cab-in-the-room sound ranging from American Cleans to Marshall Hot Rods, occasionally a heavy 5153/Revv/SLO sound but rare.

Main learnings on the boards I’ve seen is low cut helps, angling or raising the cab up helps, and playing loud helps. But curious about a few things…

Levels:
How hard do you drive it? Is it more cab like to drive it hard using the FM9 and adjust ASC-10 level for volume, or is it better to crank the level on the ASC-10 and then adjust output volume on the FM9? Or is there a sweet spot for both?

Cab/IR Choices:
What IRs are you finding work best to give it that lively in the room sound. I find this makes a huge difference - some presets sound very dark and kinda blanketed, very recorded sounding (not bad just not super present), and others sound more punchy and sparkly and can really move air and feel the pick attack. Just curious what people’s go to-s are for predominately 2x12 and 4x12 sounds. I like Greenbacks mainly but also mess with V30 and Creamback sounds.

Amp Choices:
What amp models do you find play well? They honestly all sound so good these days but curious what people are really jiving with for that realistic amp sag meets clear and touch sensitive attack.

Thanks!

Read through most of the threads already but it’s been awhile since been discussed and many fractal firmware updates have occurred so wanted to throw this out there!

Long time Fractal user but have been gone for a few years as I went into my cyclical tube amp era. Back with a Fractal FM9 Turbo and a Friedman ASC-10.

Sounds pretty great but wondering how people are running theirs? I’m mainly interested in a semi flexible but still consistent cab-in-the-room sound ranging from American Cleans to Marshall Hot Rods, occasionally a heavy 5153/Revv/SLO sound but rare.

Main learnings on the boards I’ve seen is low cut helps, angling or raising the cab up helps, and playing loud helps. But curious about a few things…

Levels:
How hard do you drive it? Is it more cab like to drive it hard using the FM9 and adjust ASC-10 level for volume, or is it better to crank the level on the ASC-10 and then adjust output volume on the FM9? Or is there a sweet spot for both?

Cab/IR Choices:
What IRs are you finding work best to give it that lively in the room sound. I find this makes a huge difference - some presets sound very dark and kinda blanketed, very recorded sounding (not bad just not super present), and others sound more punchy and sparkly and can really move air and feel the pick attack. Just curious what people’s go to-s are for predominately 2x12 and 4x12 sounds. I like Greenbacks mainly but also mess with V30 and Creamback sounds.

Amp Choices:
What amp models do you find play well? They honestly all sound so good these days but curious what people are really jiving with for that realistic amp sag meets clear and touch sensitive attack.

Thanks!

Levels: When I used the friedman amps, I always left it fullly up (or mostly up) and controlled the volume on whatever fractal unit I was using at the time. Leave a dedicated output to it

Cab/IR Choices - Use a dyna cab block with a condenser mic, that kind of gives you the "the whole spectrum" of the cabinet more than the other Mic offerings. Experiment with how bright or dark you want the tone by moving the mic up or down on the Y-axis. Then you can adjust the low end by moving the mic closer or further away from the X-axis and the speaker. I'm usually pretty close to the Cap and right up against the speaker.

Greenbacks would probably get you where you want to go. the Friedman GB cab would be great. V30s if you need more upper mid cut or bite. Especially if you're really sensitive to pick attack. That will give you a lot of it.

Amp Choices - I'm usually using any of the marshall offerings, JCM800, JCM800 Modded, Plexi jumped or the brit Silver. They all react well with the volume knob. Adjust the master volume and watch the headroom parameter so you can see where the amp starts to sag or break up. You can also adjust the sag parameter if you need that more compressed feel (or vice versa). I would also look into adjusting the input EQ on the amp block, chop off the low end if you need the amp to be "tighter".

Sold mine and went back to the CLR. Better sound and sound discernment, Way easier to carry, flatter response, LOUDER too!

Having used the ASC-12 for a few years now, it definitely needs to be off the floor. The bass coupling can be overwhelming otherwise. But I've run into that with every FR option I've tried.
I agree with @RoshRoslin that the Dyna Cabs with the condenser offer a great sound. I tend to prefer the 1960 DynaCab for Marshall sounds and I really like a the 1x12 Tweed 20112 for Fender sounds. Always use 80hz Low cut and 5500k high cut in the speaker preamp page.

I always run output Eq, set to parametric and cut low end below 90 and also a little dip @3500k as my ears are sensitive to that particular upper mids through the Friedman. Everything else is flat. YMMV.

ASC-10 is a great cab. The trick with those is to angle them up towards you. I had a pair a couple of years back and installed some tilt back legs on them. They worked great. These days, I am really happy with a EV PXM-12MP for my monitor.

Back
Top Bottom