FRFRs THAT LOOK LIKE A TRADITIONAL, COOL GUITAR SPEAKER CABINET INSTEAD OF A PA

Mark Sare

FRFRs THAT LOOK LIKE TRADITIONAL, COOL GUITAR SPEAKER CABINETS INSTEAD OF A PA

Fractal Audio advises that to realize the full potential of all that the Axe FX II has to offer that's it's best to utilize FRFRs. I play with many different people and often I don't play through a PA and instead use a traditional back line guitar amp that has enough punch to keep up with drums, bass, keys and often another guitar player.

I'd love to use the Axe II in this scenario and there appear to be several FRFR speaker/amp combos like the JBLs, RCFs, QSCs, etc., that would work just fine. With the exception of the Atomic cabs all pretty much appear to be in wedge type configurations that one would more identify with being part of a PA as opposed to being part of a guitarist's rig. And several are incredibly expensive. With the Axe II, foot controller and a couple of FRFRs one could easily sink $5,000 or $6,000 into a guitar rig and it would still just appear to be part of a small PA.

Is it just me or does anyone else desire to have such an amazing sounding rig appear just as amazing instead of looking like a small PA? In other words, could somebody please manufacturer some excellent FRFRs for guitarists to visually resemble more traditional "top of the line" guitar cabinets in the Marshall, Mesa, etc., flavors? Visually speaking, the available "wedges" certainly don't have a very commanding stage presence…especially for guitarists. And to me the Atomic speaker products may sound fine to some but are severely lacking visually speaking.

For those superficial axe slingers like me who want to rock and that have an interest not only in great sounding gear but also in the appearance of our gear will someone please make not just a great sounding but also a cool looking FRFR for guitarists for live applications instead of a "wedge"? Something with more of a traditional, cool guitar rig "vibe"? I mean for a $5,000 or $6,000 guitar rig wouldn't you like to have something behind you other than a couple of PA type wedges flipped on their sides?

Anybody else out these have the same desire? If so, perhaps manufacturers might pay attention and answer the call?

Last edited:
You can use the Axe-FX with traditional cabs. Disable the speaker sim (or remove cab from layout) and have at it. I did that for a long time before switching to FRFR and I still miss the punch of a 4x12.

It would be cool if Fractal made their own 4x12 FRFR cab with "neutral" speakers so we could mount our Axe2's with a Matrix power amp into a "head" size rack.

Search the forum. Others have posted similar threads, including at least one in the last week. There are traditional-looking cabs that are FRFR to varying degrees. All of them represent some degree of sonic compromise (the best FRFR sound comes from drivers and cabs that were designed for FRFR, not for looks), but some folks say they sound great nonetheless.

You could always swap out the grill/logo on the Atomic Reactor 2x12 if you don't like it.

Atomic really needs to make a 4x12 Reactor, though.

I have a Mackie 1521 and its pretty similar to a 2x12 in terms of profile...

AxeFxRigOct2012.jpg

That's a Mesa OS 4x12 on casters just to the right for reference...

Last edited:
Since normally I play in small clubs where often there's no guitar trough the PA at all I'm also very very interested in a traditional cab looking FRFR. And hopefully I can place the AXE on top of it ^^

Well the CLR cubes that Jay Mitchell introduced (youtube link anyone?) a while back looked like Mesas 1x12 thiele cabs.
At least until they attach that logo!! I sincerely hope that it gets reviewed :)
Promised myself not to buy anything until the CLRs came out.

I have a pair of those for the PA-back breakers. For some silly reason, I never tried the axe through them. Add that to my todo list.

Since normally I play in small clubs where often there's no guitar trough the PA at all I'm also very very interested in a traditional cab looking FRFR. And hopefully I can place the AXE on top of it ^^

Well the CLR cubes that Jay Mitchell introduced (youtube link anyone?) a while back looked like Mesas 1x12 thiele cabs.
At least until they attach that logo!! I sincerely hope that it gets reviewed :)
Promised myself not to buy anything until the CLRs came out.

Here you go...

Thanks Sixstring. The CLR Cube in the demo is certainly a step in the right direction, visually speaking. We'll see what the finished product looks like once they put their graphics on it. And of course, how it sounds remains to be heard, especially the FRFR combo version. Thusfar, from my searching the forum posts anyway, the Atomic FRFR products don't seem to be favorites when compared by others to the JBL, RCF and QSC FRFRs. Time will tell......

There's always this option....

View attachment 13726

That's pretty funny (and sad). I was going to suggest something which would also be decieving, but not nearly as sad. Get one or two empty Marshall 4x12 cabs, and put your FRFR cab inside. You could modify/replace the front baffle with an open frame covered with the same grill cloth (reuse it). It would take a little ingenuity, but would give the "look" of a traditional setup. Portability would obviously not be the focus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom