FRFR Question

messenger

Will running through a FRFR basically sound like a monitor with my miked guitar amp running through it? I HATE the way my amp sounds through a monitor. It usually sounds harsh and grainy and solid state (which its not), and it didn't matter which amp I used. The sound guy always said it sounded great out front. I just don't want to waste my time with FRFR if thats what I'm going to hear.

PS FWIW I haven't recieved my AxeFX so I'm just talking about my tube amps.

Yes and no.

That's what you'll hear, but it won't sound like that with a an Axe-FX. What you'll hear is more akin to what you'd hear in a top notch studio on their monitors in the control room if your amp was mic'd up correctly.

I agree with Scott. I'm finding that there was a certain rawness from my traditional amp/cab that isn't there for me (yet) with the Axe. Still dialing in my tones. But as far as harsh, grainy and solid state - that hasn't been an issue. To me that sounds more like an issue with the sound guys either using cheesy mic's, monitors or both.

Will my bands Peavey speaker/monitors give me a rough idea whether or not I'll like FRFR, or will cheap speakers make it sound like absolute shit and I'll hate it? I know a higher quality monitor will sound much better, but I don't want to invest money if I'm not going to like it. I know guitar speakers make a difference, but you can usually get a rough idea what it'll sound like with cheaper cabs/speakers IMO.

messenger said:
...I HATE the way my amp sounds through a monitor. It usually sounds harsh and grainy and solid state (which its not), and it didn't matter which amp I used. The sound guy always said it sounded great out front........
Ha ha ha ha.
You've nailed exactly why people love FRFR with axe-fx. It doesn't sound anything like that if you dial it well. I remember those days in bands where the guitar player was hooked on his stage sound but it sounded like hell miced so we pulled it out of the monitors. Being new to micing 4x12 rigs, I was always fascinated with how the soundman always managed to mangle the sound so much before it came out the mains and monitors....sounded nothing like the stage sound.

Well I don't care if it sounds like my amps (raw, in your face), but if I can get can get a "recorded" sound that I'm happy with (like my favorite records) I think I'll LOVE FRFR. I think it would be cool to hear what the crowd hears.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me. It's a little "polished" sounding compared to a raw amp. But to my ear, it sounds exactly like what I hear coming out my speakers when I listen to music. And the upside is, you won't have to worry about a sound guy not knowing how to place a mic, or using a cheap one etc. Go directly to the board from the Axe and you get the same results every time.

Expanding on this question this one is for Scott, Jay, Sean (or anyone else who has a good answer):
Do the floor monitors you guys have (QSC or FBT) translate to front of house? In other words if I flatten my room, tweak my patches to sound the way I like them if I then go out front with my wireless and the FOH system is relatively flat as well am I likely to have similar results, identical results, nowhere near the same result?

Am having some degree of frustration with how things sound through my EV SX100 12 inch floor wedges which I use to create my sounds and how they are translating to both my IEM system (Future Sonics headphones) and FOH at venues.

Thanks guys!

The quality of the FOH 'translating' depends entirely on the quality of the FOH; including the quality of gear, the quality of the FOH person.

The Axe-FX removes so many barriers when running direct to FOH in FRFR; but it cannot 'erase' or 'translate' if the equipment or ears behind the knobs suck.

Scott Peterson said:
The quality of the FOH 'translating' depends entirely on the quality of the FOH; including the quality of gear, the quality of the FOH person.

The Axe-FX removes so many barriers when running direct to FOH in FRFR; but it cannot 'erase' or 'translate' if the equipment or ears behind the knobs suck.

Scott,
Sorry if I made you state the obvious, assuming the following I would welcome your thoughts:
1. Quality FOH rig
2. Decent venue (not a warehouse/tin can)
3. competent engineer

Also, If you tweak a patch on your FBT and go out front does it sound pretty close to what how it sounded at home or through your wedge or not? Just trying to figure out the best way to get as close to what I program as possible. a 10% margin for error is acceptable to take into account different systems, rooms, etc.

One last thing, If I decide to go this route will a passive version work just as well as the biamped powered version assuming I have a quality power amp or would the results be different enough that the powered versions are recommended? Just trying to save some coin if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Secret80'sMan said:
[quote="Scott Peterson":r7jxnov3]The quality of the FOH 'translating' depends entirely on the quality of the FOH; including the quality of gear, the quality of the FOH person.

Scott,
Sorry if I made you state the obvious, assuming the following I would welcome your thoughts:
1. Quality FOH rig
2. Decent venue (not a warehouse/tin can)
3. competent engineer

Also, If you tweak a patch on your FBT and go out front does it sound pretty close to what how it sounded at home or through your wedge or not? Just trying to figure out the best way to get as close to what I program as possible. a 10% margin for error is acceptable to take into account different systems, rooms, etc.

Thanks in advance.[/quote:r7jxnov3]

I've got close to 100 gigs on the Axe-FX running direct to FOH.

What I've found the majority of the time is the process is similar. The FOH engineer looks at me confused and thinks I am an idiot at first when I tell him I just need an XLR. I also add to it when I tell him to EQ it flat, no cut, no boost anywhere to start. 99% of the time, they won't do that. It's simply a knee jerk reaction they have. "PODs suck, I can't get them to fit in the mix and have to do massive EQ to make it work even a little...." they say.

I tell them this is very different than anything they've heard before. They scoff.

I start sound check, they check levels to start. I call out from the stage: "Just EQ it flat please." Hand on chin, they listen for a second and then you see them tentatively move their hand and try it, setting the EQ to noon.

Almost 99% of the time after the first set, the FOH engineer seeks me out and says, "What the *)(@#$ are you using? That sounds fantastic! I've not even touched the EQ out front.... amazing!" (or something along those lines). And I am not exaggerating. They are almost always extremely positive about it. When I show them the rig, they simply shake their heads and say, "Damn!"

So, given your questions - that little story should answer it. Yes, the presets I do translate almost universally assuming quality people running FOH, quality system out front and a room that can sound good.

Now, many many many times, the room isn't good. The FOH system is a piece of crap and there isn't an engineer... we do our own sound. Even then, they just EQ me flat and it works every time.

The key is simply a good solid core tone. If you listen to my clips (which I'll be doing many of this next few weeks) you'll hear simply good, organic, raw tones. I'm not a processed 'smooth' shimmering California 80's studio sound. I come from a rock based, Marshall edge tone and prefer to use my guitar's volume pot to 'take the edge off' for cleaner tones. I use a SC/SC/HB setup almost exclusively; and prefer the SC's for clean tones. My presets ALL work with SC or HB pickups. My presets ALL work great when you roll the volume off. To have that sort of more organic ballsy tone and still have the control and dynamics when playing is almost like cheating. I have perfect tones, exactly the way I created them at EVERY gig. It's just such a guilty pleasure to play. :D

With the Ultra I got to finally cross over into adding things like the Multi-Band compression on the end of my signal chain; and the way I incorporate it, you'll never 'sense' or 'feel' that I am using it at all. It just WORKS.

I come from mastering and mixing professionally. I understand how to apply those sorts of tools; and to drop them on simply my guitar tone chain is so very exciting to me. I can 'fit' any mix and by using the FBT's as MONITORS and not blowing volume from the stage (my paradigm is set up to self monitor and use FOH to get my tone out to the crowd) is still looked at funny by band members that 'only use the PA for vocals and kick/snare... nothing else!' when we run a lean FOH system. But now that I have folks understanding and using this sort of paradigm in the bands I work in, they are really enjoying the lower more controlled monitor mixes and stage volume so MUCH more.

It's a very satisfying way to fly, though it is still met with apprehension and disbelief all the time as we move around and play gigs. Festival guys that really have their thing dialed down hard are always a pleasure once I get them convinced. They are used to quick turnarounds on bands and the path of least resistance in getting the entire mix down and set in the first song. Read my little story again, and I just keep repeating that same sort of process over and over.

Scott,
I can't thank you enough for your post, it was exactly what I was looking for! I will look forward to your recordings and testing some of your patches when the Axechange finally comes online. Unlike you, I am the epitome of the 80's processed sound, I happen to be a part of an obsessive compulsive 80's tribute band that strives to nail the tones of every aspect of the song (keys, drums, even vocal inflections) not just guitars.
In regards to FBT over the QSC, would be curious to hear which one people think more closely resembles the FOH sound. Unlike most players who are using these to monitor themselves I only need to get one to come up with sounds and check my work since I use IEM's on stage. If the FBT for example sounds better but the QSC and is more true to what the crowd hears than that is probably the way I would go, or vice versa.

Scott Peterson said:
I've got close to 100 gigs on the Axe-FX running direct to FOH.

What I've found the majority of the time is the process is similar. The FOH engineer looks at me confused and thinks I am an idiot at first when I tell him I just need an XLR. I also add to it when I tell him to EQ it flat, no cut, no boost anywhere to start. 99% of the time, they won't do that. It's simply a knee jerk reaction they have. "PODs suck, I can't get them to fit in the mix and have to do massive EQ to make it work even a little...." they say.

I tell them this is very different than anything they've heard before. They scoff.

I start sound check, they check levels to start. I call out from the stage: "Just EQ it flat please." Hand on chin, they listen for a second and then you see them tentatively move their hand and try it, setting the EQ to noon.

Thats exactly the reaction I used to get ... I got so fed up with it so I just gave up and use my 4x12 for now .. makes life easier. Also I have to keep the "image" of the rock band going so I said whatever and live with a loud 4x12 on stage (not that I didn't enjoy it :mrgreen: )

Mik.

Mik.

Back
Top Bottom