Frfr availability

evh1972

Noticed that here in Canada there isn't alot of frfr options available. I currently have the Headrush 108 and plan to get a 2nd. However that kinda is my only option. There doesn't seem to be alot of options for frfr.

I even thought of using a Seymour Duncan ps170 but even that isn't really available anymore.

Thus I'm wondering if the market for modeler amps/speakers just not that popular or starting to go down?

Thus I'm wondering if the market for modeler amps/speakers just not that popular or starting to go down?
Or… maybe you're not in an area that offers a good selection.

Don't equate the visibility of modelers or speakers with popularity, because other things determine visibility and availability, such as shipping and the worldwide problem with getting parts.

I think if I were to buy a FRFR here in Canada ( want to , just not currently I'm budget )
I'd be looking at the Electro Voice PXM monitor, maybe not the style you want but seems like best choice we have from a Canadian dealer ( Cosmo Music )
They stock the Friedman ASM/ASC too I believe but they're big money

Edit: No we do not have great selection of FRFRs from Canadian dealers

I use an EV ZLX-12BT and I love them. I also picked up a bunch for band monitors. I think most places still have them in stock…🤷🏻‍♂️

I think if I were to buy a FRFR here in Canada ( want to , just not currently I'm budget )
I'd be looking at the Electro Voice PXM monitor, maybe not the style you want but seems like best choice we have from a Canadian dealer ( Cosmo Music )

Just curious, what additional choices do you think those of us in the US have? Not saying you're wrong, but I would think you should have access to Yamaha and Mackie stuff? Yorkville? RCF?

Yorkville and Mackie Definetly available, but haven't seen many recommendations for them as anFRFR, nor have I tried them

The EV's are just as much as the Friedmans but a lot lighter!

If you can afford it, get the Red Sound MF10. It's amazing. But get the combo so you can take advantage of stereo.
I had the Headrush 112, played through it for a couple of years. There is just no comparison. Headrush is spikey and boxy sounding. MF10 sounds like an actual guitar cab. I use it to play in a rock band and in a metal band playing a 7 string. It sounds absolutely glorious in both situations. Cosmo Music has the combo in stock, but it's $3000. Once you get it, you'll never want to look at the headrush again.

https://cosmomusic.ca/products/amp-...TJDJTIydXRmOCUyMiUzQSUyMiVFMiU5QyU5MyUyMiU3RA

For those that have tried the Headrush fr108 and mf10, how drastically better was the mf10?

Just wondering if it's worth the additional $1300 over the Headrush.

This is my concern with finding speakers for a frfr, alot of the options are online so there is no way to try them ahead of time.

If you can afford it, get the Red Sound MF10. It's amazing. But get the combo so you can take advantage of stereo.
I had the Headrush 112, played through it for a couple of years. There is just no comparison. Headrush is spikey and boxy sounding. MF10 sounds like an actual guitar cab. I use it to play in a rock band and in a metal band playing a 7 string. It sounds absolutely glorious in both situations. Cosmo Music has the combo in stock, but it's $3000. Once you get it, you'll never want to look at the headrush again.

https://cosmomusic.ca/products/amp-...TJDJTIydXRmOCUyMiUzQSUyMiVFMiU5QyU5MyUyMiU3RA
Yikes 3000 even just one active is around $1700 , I think my CLR was about $999

For those that have tried the Headrush fr108 and mf10, how drastically better was the mf10?

Just wondering if it's worth the additional $1300 over the Headrush.

This is my concern with finding speakers for a frfr, alot of the options are online so there is no way to try them ahead of time.
I've own(ed) both.
MF-10 is quite simply in another league to the Headrush.
The Headrush is excellent value and the MF-10 is expensive but sonically they are poles apart.
If you have the $ go MF-10. No doubt.

Yorkville and Mackie Definetly available, but haven't seen many recommendations for them as anFRFR, nor have I tried them

I’ve seen tons of recommendations for Yorkville E10Ps, which is what I ended up getting. Readily available from used/rental stock from L&M, and you can find them as low as $499 each (used). And IME they translate better to what the audience is hearing through a PA as compared to studio monitors or to FRFRs marketed specifically to guitarists - so this way I’m tweaking presets to sound best through PA gear rather than through monitors that are less representative of what the audience will hear.

404F67D5-8733-43D7-AFDB-ABE43515B130.jpeg

I'm also in Canada and I know what you mean, @evh1972 . The options do seem limited here, but I'd say it's more supply chain and distributor stuff than popularity related. A lot of the common online choices aren't easy to get here (Xitone, Atomic, Friedman - yes Cosmo can get them but they're never in stock and it's a long wait) and for some reason all the Seymour PS stuff is out of stock, too (although now L&M has the PS 200 in the webstore).

You can also check out the Yorkville PS10p. I rented two of those to try with a Kemper Stage and they sounded really good. There's always some available used at L&M.

That's another thing: you can rent a lot of what is available at L&M as a way to try stuff out.

I’ve seen tons of recommendations for Yorkville E10Ps, which is what I ended up getting. Readily available from used/rental stock from L&M, and you can find them as low as $499 each (used). And IME they translate better to what the audience is hearing through a PA as compared to studio monitors or to FRFRs marketed specifically to guitarists - so this way I’m tweaking presets to sound best through PA gear rather than through monitors that are less representative of what the audience will hear.

View attachment 110282

Nice setup.

Off-topic question: do you sing in your band? If so, how do you deal with bleed in your vocal mic from the guitar FRFRs when set up like that? Always wonder about this… thanks.

Nice setup.

Off-topic question: do you sing in your band? If so, how do you deal with bleed in your vocal mic from the guitar FRFRs when set up like that? Always wonder about this… thanks.

I do sing in some of my bands, and in those cases I’m either using IEMs (no E10Ps or, typically, any other amps on stage …) or there is a house PA wedge in front of me and the E10P is somewhere else (ideally side-fill if feasible, though sometimes it’s on the floor to the side or even back of me). That said, in 30 years of gigging the vast majority of the time I have a wedge in front of me with guitars in it (among other things) - between using a dynamic cardioid and gating/EQ by sound crew it’s rarely an issue.

Back
Top Bottom