FRFR Alto TS112a or TS115a???

mark12ax7

I am looking at buying either a TS112a or TS115a and have read most of the posts here about them here.
What would be the main differences between the two? low end etc?

Thanks in advance

Don't get either. All Alto stuff is trash (it's basically the cheapest stuff you can get today, along with Samson, Behringer etc). Save up and buy something better.

Guitarnerd, what wold you suggest under $500 Where I play has a great FOH system so I mainly want some stage tone and for practicing at home.
Thanks

I have two AltoTS110's. I use them as floors in front of me. They absolutely rock and sound great. I used them last week as mains and filled a hall very well. I have used Mackies, JBL, Beheringers. These sound just dandy.

High end? Nope. Useable and enjoyable? Yep.

Last edited:
Guitarnerd, what wold you suggest under $500 Where I play has a great FOH system so I mainly want some stage tone and for practicing at home.
Thanks

Save up. For under 500 USD you're not going to get anything. If it's for stage use, get a decent monitor, FBT, RCF, HK, JBL etc. Stay away from low budget brands, you really do get what you pay for. But then again, if your criteria is just to have something that makes sound, go for it, but don't expect quality build or performance.

My 2 cents ;)

I have a pair of Alto TS112a's as floor monitors which sound stunning with the axe. Tried lots of different brands, but for the money these were just as good. They can hiss a little if turned up more than 3/4 but if I turned them up that much it would blow me out the window!

Don't get either. All Alto stuff is trash (it's basically the cheapest stuff you can get today, along with Samson, Behringer etc). Save up and buy something better.

LOL, what a load of rubbish. I've got a TS115a, and it sounds awesome with the Axe FX. There are many people who use it with the Axe, and are very happy.

I've got a 115A that I use with my Axe 2 and it sounds awesome. I play an 8 string so I can vouch for the low end. I recommend getting the 115A instead of the 112A just due to the fact that its not a very big price difference, I can't really speak for the quality of the 112 but the 115 is great. ^Idk what this guy is talking about. I've a/b'd them against qsc k10's and k12's and these are WAY worth it especially for the price. As much as I despise that god awful store I recommend you just take your axe fx down to GC and they'll let you plug into whatever they have (and they almost always have the QSC's and TSAlto's).

Definitely do a comparison first I did at Guitar center and ended up getting QSC K12's but it's all what sounds good to you. Take the time to try them at GC you can take them back in 30 days if you want to do it that way.

I did about an hour at the local Guitar Center with every FRFR monitor they had there.

These included the QSC K12 (which I had read on the internet were not very good) and a host of others including Yamaha, Mackie, JBL, Behringer, and many others that I don't remember the brand names of. I believe I tried 7-8 of them while I was there.

What I came to understand from that day is that the internet prejudice against the QSC K12 was totally unwarranted. It sounded better to my ears than everything else there.

Granted, it wasn't perfect, but it sounded better than everything else there to my ears - and I had basically made up my mind to buy something OTHER than the QSC K12 before I walked into guitar center. I was really surprised.

So a visit to Guitar Center and listen for YOURSELF is highly recommended.

I was also able to try one QSC K12 on a gig shortly thereafter and it sounded ok to me - but didn't make me want to spent the $1000 for it.

So I ended up not buying ANY of them from Guitar Center - and instead have decided to purchase a pair of the RCF NX12 SMA's which I will be ordering next week when I receive some funds allotted for them.

Why?

Even though the QSC K12's were the best sounding FRFR systems that Guitar Center had there, and even thought it sounded ok on a live gig, there was something about the high end on it that was a little 'fuzzy' to my ears (for lack of a better way to describe it).

I can't share how the RCF's will compare to the QSC's yet since I haven't even ordered them yet.

But from what I've read elsewhere on this forum (and other forums) they should blow everything else away.

Given my experience with internet forum's knowledge of FRFR speakers, I'm not going to hold my breath nor be surprised if they do NOT live up to my expectations.

But at least, I know I will have given my best shot at the FRFR issue. (Guitar Center did NOT have the RCF's there for me to compare with the QSC's). But the knowledge that I learned from trying those FRFR systems out there helped me tremendously in determining what I did NOT want.

I have to admit, I'm excited about getting the RCF NX12 SMA's though.

L

I was impressed with the ELX112P's for the price. A bit over $500, but I'm sure there are discounts/open box/bstock deals out there.

I am looking at buying either a TS112a or TS115a and have read most of the posts here about them here.
What would be the main differences between the two? low end etc?

Thanks in advance

Is the reason your looking at the Alto's price or are you wanting to run in stereo? For the money your looking to spend I would have to echo what other people are saying, save a little longer and buy something that has been built better even if it means running mono for a wile(if running stereo is the intent).

An xitone cab or wedge is only a few hundred more, you also have Matrix and Atomic CLR coming soon which may be twice what your looking to spend. I'm sure the Altos are fine for what they cost but with inexpensive gear you always give up something wether it be sound, build quality or both.

Thanks for all the information- you have given me alot to think about.
Quick question what type of cable do you use to hook up your monitor (1/4" speaker) and do you use Output 2?

Alto TS115A user here.

Guys, I'm sorry to say that, but this unit just rocks. It is still well built, sounds also great. It is dynamic, loud, clear. For the price it is no-brainer. REALLY. I thought I will end up with Mackie HD1221 but... no. ;)

And I use 10 meters long XLR cable to connect it with the Axe-Fx II.

there is just as much cork sniffery surrounding frfr cabs.. almost more than amps.

i got my k12 on clearance $700, build is great, sounds great to me. my patches translate to my ear monitors great as well, so if i tweak on the k12 my triple drives sound great too.

I went and did a little checking on this speaker, for the money it looks like a pretty good box. Every review I read has nothing but good things to say about it. I still have questions about the quality of parts that they use in the amp section. The old saying of you get what you pay for comes to mind. If you take that into consideration I can see it's attractiveness. The wifi version looks intriguing also... thinking of a portable boom box type seneiro.

Reactions: trb
I'm really on the fence with getting these...I'm usually the type to just save up for what I really want instead of settling (Reason why I have an AxeII over a Pod ;) ) but I've heard a lot of good things with these Alto speakers. Save up for an HD1221 or snag a pair of these? Yay/nay? Why or why not? Coke or Pepsi?

LOL, what a load of rubbish. I've got a TS115a, and it sounds awesome with the Axe FX. There are many people who use it with the Axe, and are very happy.

If they are happy or not doesn't have anything to do with if the product is good or not ;) I know people who play Epiphones and are happy with that, and I wouldn't even use an Epiphone as firewood. I have quite alot of experience with Alto stuff, and everything has been bad. It prodces sound, but that's the only thing it does. If you're happy with it, good for you. I still wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Just as I wouldn't recommend a JD strat to anyone ;) The only thing that is true in the end is that you get what you pay for. Every single time I've bought something that is considered cheap, no matter if it is mixers, guitars, cables, PAR lights etc, I've been very disappointed. There is a much bigger jump in quality and performance between the cheap stuff and the average costing stuff, than it is from average stuff to the expensive stuff. It is really worth that little extra money to stay clear of the really low bugdet stuff, you get so much more for so little at those price ranges, that it's most often a mistake to not save a little while longer and buy something a price class up. I'm just trying to spare other people from that mistake, that's all ;)

Last edited:
Picked up a TS112A. I've tried the Mackie HD1221, and although there IS a difference between the two (The alto has a bit more high end 'clankiness' to it, can easily dial it out though), the Alto just wins in terms of the budget-to-quality ratio. You are paying approx. 500$ more for a MINOR difference in the Mackie. Don't fall into the hype though, the Alto IS budget, you CAN hear a difference, but I can assure you that your audiences won't ;)

I'll be happy to trade some firewood for an epiphone if you find yourself in that position. Not too much, of course. I burn a fire in the colder months, but I could spare a few sticks.

How much do you think you would need?

Do you have a preference for the type of wood? I've got some lovely Pecan wood waiting to be cut. I could cut it to your preferred length.

Back
Top Bottom