Fralin baseplate installation

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
Have any of you installed the Fralin baseplate for strat bridge pickups?

Early on in Lindy's tech tips video about various things, he talks about using an 80W soldering iron, so it can heat up pot bodies.
When he later talks about melting the wax on the baseplate, it looks like he's using that same iron.
It goes quickly and easily.

As a veteran of tiny detailed circuit boards, all I have is a 25 Watt no-thermostat Weller, which doesn't seem like that'll cut it.
It's not great for soldering to pot bodies either.

Looking around, this Weller is thermostatted, 70W, and has many positive reviews, but it's $115 and wouldn't be here for a week.

Thoughts?

Early on in Lindy's tech tips video about various things, he talks about using an 80W soldering iron, so it can heat up pot bodies.
When he later talks about melting the wax on the baseplate, it looks like he's using that same iron.

As a veteran of tiny detailed circuit boards, all I have is a 25 Watt no-thermostat Weller, which doesn't seem like that'll cut it.

Looking around, this Weller is thermostatted, 70W, and has many positive reviews, but it's $115 and wouldn't be here for a week.

Thoughts?
Its a good iron....

Any of you folks know what a good tip would be for that iron and this kind of work?
Mostly they're small conical or screwdriver shaped, when I need a kind of big flat chisel.
This set has one that seems a bit small but is at least the right shape I think.
This single bit seems similar.

It’s a good iron....
I have the exact soldering station. I agree.
Good to know.
I gather you have one, or did?

Am I right that a 25 W pencil isn't great for this job,, even a good one?
I’ve never installed one of those baseplates, but I’d avoid the pencil iron. The Weller that you posted is an excellent station. I’ve used it for anything from SMD’s to attaching grounds to trem claws.

For quick soldering jobs, I've had good success with the Weller butane iron. I have a fancier Weller for when I need it. The butane iron is pretty handy, no cable.

Attachments

• 71+o9pUNvVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71+o9pUNvVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 71XM82HPKAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71XM82HPKAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 5
Get in and get out. Underpowered low wattage irons are often more likely to damage parts because they make you dwell when trying to get the part hot enough. More time = deeper heat penetration and cooked parts. A higher wattage iron will heat locally fast, giving less time for the heat to sink away into the part.

That said, I wouldn't go trying to do tiny SMD parts with a fat 100 watt plumbers iron. There's definitely a point of diminishing returns depending on the part in question. Using the right tip for good surface area contact is also important too. Trying to solder pot backs with a tiny needle tip going to transfer heat poorly as well.

Last edited:
Any of you folks know what a good tip would be for that iron and this kind of work?
Mostly they're small conical or screwdriver shaped, when I need a kind of big flat chisel.
This set has one that seems a bit small but is at least the right shape I think.
This single bit seems similar.
Either of those will work, of course you get more tips with the set and for not much more.

Thanks guys, but I've been soldering stuff for many decades, have the basics pretty well in hand I think.

This is just an odd task, heating up a big flat piece of metal, but not too much.
I solder so sporadically I always have to review before I get started. It's just one of those skills that helps if you're doing it frequently. For your purpose though I think the two key points are sufficient wattage and the chisel tip. Good luck.

Hi Dave,
I’d get the right tool. You may only use it once every three years, but even so having a good tool never hurts. Also, it can replace your 25w iron entirely! You will not regret purchasing that iron if you need to do any quality soldering on a regular basis.

Thoughts?

Weller WE1010A came yesterday, haven't had a chance to read about or try it yet. This weekend probably.

One question though.

Won't that wax melting procedure get melted wax all over the tip? Iron comes with the typical sponge cleaner, and I got one of the copper wool ones too, but is that the idea, guck it up then clean it off? Or am I missing some basic concept here?

Weller WE1010A came yesterday, haven't had a chance to read about or try it yet. This weekend probably.

One question though.

Won't that wax melting procedure get melted wax all over the tip? Iron comes with the typical sponge cleaner, and I got one of the copper wool ones too, but is that the idea, guck it up then clean it off? Or am I missing some basic concept here?
You will get some wax on the tip, but it's not a problem. Remember that tip is hot and the wax won't set. Most of it will run right off. I suspect he's wiping the tip off camera.

It has been a while since this post started so this may not be useful information for this situation now. However, I went down the soldering station road earlier this year. I started building some pedals and needed a better iron. I ended up with this one below. I was also looking at the Weller and found better reviews on this one and it isn't much more money. I can tell you this thing is a legit monster. I have soldered everything from components on PCBs to the backs of pots as well as to the trem claw in a guitar and it did all of these things very well. I can't give this thing high enough praises. It just works all the time. I would recommend this over the Weller. Weller has had some quality issues as of late.

Amazon product ASIN B00ANZRT4M

Back
Top Bottom