Wish fractal build a power amp

EdgE

Fractal Fanatic
Would be great to have fractal build tube or transistor ,its a rabbit hole ,much rather stay with a fractalo_O:cool:

Last edited:
I would rather have a "these are the devices we think are really good with ours" list. Leave building them for others who are experts at that stuff.
After how many amps the Fractal team had dissected.....I would imagine they could build an amazing amp.
Just like our Fractal Model amps. I remember reading that the Carol Ann Triptik 2 was first built as a model in the Axe, before the builder made the first actual version.

That would be good too,I’ve used my fractal stuff with an old ADA power amp with the 2 12ax7’s 😎

I would rather have a "these are the devices we think are really good with ours" list. Leave building them for others who are experts at that stuff.
Elsewhere Cliff mentioned something about a higher end Class H power amp. Can't remember the brand. I will say it works great with my PS100.

After how many amps the Fractal team had dissected.....I would imagine they could build an amazing amp.
Just like our Fractal Model amps. I remember reading that the Carol Ann Triptik 2 was first built as a model in the Axe, before the builder made the first actual version.
Hey, not trying to sharp shoot you, I was genuinely curious about your comment above because I really like the Carol Ann stuff and wanted to know the history of that design. Here's the comment from the manufacturer for the Triptik 2:

"This 3-Channel Amplifier is our latest version of a true rock amp that is capable of reproducing both timeless classic rock tones to modern high gain tones with a super tight and crushing low end. The design of this amplifier is a true ground up design and has not been inspired by any other amplifier out there. It is an original back to the drawing board design."

I do believe there is a relationship/friendship between Cliff and Alan Phillips (creator of Carol Ann amps) so maybe there was some inspiration there somehow.

EDIT: Wondering if maybe you didn't get the amp story backwards? Open up Yek's Amp Guide and read the section on the Carol Ann OD-2. Apparently Alan Phillips actually works with Cliff to help Fractal get the best possible virtual models of his work. Very cool.

Last edited:
Hey, not trying to sharp shoot you, I was genuinely curious about your comment above because I really like the Carol Ann stuff and wanted to know the history of that design. Here's the comment from the manufacturer for the Triptik 2:

"This 3-Channel Amplifier is our latest version of a true rock amp that is capable of reproducing both timeless classic rock tones to modern high gain tones with a super tight and crushing low end. The design of this amplifier is a true ground up design and has not been inspired by any other amplifier out there. It is an original back to the drawing board design."

I do believe there is a relationship/friendship between Cliff and Alan Phillips (creator of Carol Ann amps) so maybe there was some inspiration there somehow.

EDIT: Wondering if maybe you didn't get the amp story backwards? Open up Yek's Amp Guide and read the section on the Carol Ann OD-2. Apparently Alan Phillips actually works with Cliff to help Fractal get the best possible virtual models of his work. Very cool.
It's certainly possible I'm remembering incorrectly.....and I tried to find the old thread but can't.
My recollection was that Alan had a design for the new Triptik, then he and Cliff created the model of that amp within the Axe platform as a way to see what it would sound like, before Alan built it.

Edit, found the thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-used-for-real-amp-design.127410/#post-1515386

From Alan:
When I designed the Triptik 2 model, this was done in reverse. It was proto-typed as a model in Axe long before it was a physical prototype. I saw value in testing the concept first, kind of used the Axe as a first level design / audio test tool. It worked tremendously well and certainly shortened the design timeline quite dramatically and with much less expense. While this toolset is not available through the user interface, Cliff is a close friend of mine and made some suggestions to the original Triptik model that I took on board and drew up a schematic. He then modelled it in the Axe using the original Triptik has a foundation.

Last edited:
It's certainly possible I'm remembering incorrectly.....and I tried to find the old thread but can't.
My recollection was that Alan had a design for the new Triptik, then he and Cliff created the model of that amp within the Axe platform as a way to see what it would sound like, before Alan built it.

Edit, found the thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-used-for-real-amp-design.127410/#post-1515386

From Alan:
When I designed the Triptik 2 model, this was done in reverse. It was proto-typed as a model in Axe long before it was a physical prototype. I saw value in testing the concept first, kind of used the Axe as a first level design / audio test tool. It worked tremendously well and certainly shortened the design timeline quite dramatically and with much less expense. While this toolset is not available through the user interface, Cliff is a close friend of mine and made some suggestions to the original Triptik model that I took on board and drew up a schematic. He then modelled it in the Axe using the original Triptik has a foundation.
That's cool! Thanks for sharing. For an amp designer, what a great way to maybe save a ton of trouble and experimentation.

If you notice, the Carol Ann stuff doesn't have to use code names due to Alan's acceptance of modeling.

EDIT: I want to tag @yek in case he ever updates the Amp Guide. I think this would be noteworthy to include on the Triptik.

I would imagine building an amp would be child's play for the FAS team. I myself don't don't even find building an amp on my bench much of a challenge these days. Once you have built a few and modeled a few others, it is pretty simple stuff.

I would imagine building an amp would be child's play for the FAS team. I myself don't don't even find building an amp on my bench much of a challenge these days. Once you have built a few and modeled a few others, it is pretty simple stuff.
I would hope and think so.

Back
Top Bottom