Fractal Bot is a tight little app!

dpfranz

Hello Fellow Fractalites!

I hadn't updated firmware on either the MFC or the Axe II for a few months, as I was having a great time with 9.02. I was doing 4CM with my Bogner XTC 20th, and really loving it. Replaced all my stomps. I got the MFC and two mission pedals for wah and volume. Even that was just amazing. So nice to be done with the complexity of the pedal board with 4CM, and all those cables!

Then our last gig, it was really our local restaurant/bar hangout, and a small place. We had played there before, and we were a bit loud (we're 90s-centered hard rock, with dips back to the 80s and 70s). It's also a rather tall staircase load in. So the gig, I thought I'd finally check out at least the speaker sims in the Axe II, and use the Bogner preamp, thus eliminating my Bogner 4x12 - instead of going from out 1 of the Axe II to the loop return on the Bogner, I just used the balanced outs straight to our MixWiz board, and then sent it to the mains and my monitor. So, still doing 4CM, using the actual Bogner XTC preamp in the Axe II's FX loop, not the Axe FX amps, but I turned on cab sims, and it was absolutely great. I was really comfortable playing without the real cab. A very welcome outcome! Perhaps I can be free of the 4x12. We'll see how it sits over the next few shows.

So, with that going so good, I got inspired to bring my rack home tonight, update the firmware for the Axe II and the MFC, and then work on patches for our next gig (4CM patches) tomorrow down at our rehearsal space (I didn't bring home the Bogner head...what might that forshadow...?)

...of course I'm up at 3:30am with headphones on, just trying all the V10 amp goodies. Not a tube in the room. There are definitely a few factory presets that are as good or better than what I get with the actual Bogner preamp (say, Shiver Clean...wow!). A lot of what I'm liking is things that the Bogner just can't do. But the XTC amp models in the Axe II are pretty darn good too. I tried A/Bing them (actual Bogner red and blue modes vs their models in the Axe II) with the real head and cab sims off in the Axe II a few weeks ago. Hard to call. They are a little different. At the time I had a slight preference for the real thing, but these V10 models through headphones sound pretty darn good for digital, kids!

Oh, and I just tried Fractal Bot for the first time tonight after using MIDI-OX the last time. Wow! Worlds apart. Firmware updates for dummies, it's truly simple.

I wanted to send a shoutout to everyone and say thanks for your posts, and thanks Yek for all the work on the Wiki. And FAS, you guys really run an amazing operation. The dude himself posts here. A new model for good business over the internet. Kudos!

Last edited:
Yeah, Fractal Bot is awesome! Just got a chance to put it through it's paces. Love it!

Great post! FractalBot is working great here - AxeII & MFC firmwares up to date with no pain.
Thanks FAS for this great app.

Back
Top Bottom