FM9 into Fender FR-12 video clip and initial impression

Well I'm pushing the envelope then lol - I've been up about 1-2 o'clock at +4 - maybe I should start lowering that and running the FR-12 a little hotter. Didn't hear any clipping though.
I dimed out the FM9 at +4 and the FR hiss was far worse. it was not pretty.

I think it really depends on how hot your patches are. I run mine with the FM3 Out at 2:00 +4. I don't really notice it getting ratty 'till I hit around 3:00 or 4:00.

-Aaron

Well I'm pushing the envelope then lol - I've been up about 1-2 o'clock at +4 - maybe I should start lowering that and running the FR-12 a little hotter. Didn't hear any clipping though.

I've been running 1 - 2 o'clock @ +4 bB too. Haven't noticed anything wrong.

EDIT: I always metoculously preset level and keep an eye on my output level meters.

Last edited:
I have only been in Fractal land for 8 days, 7 of it playing into the FR-12. I am having to get used to the whole FRFR sound thing. I am used to playing live amps into speakers, I mostly play a Tone King Imperial MKII and a Friedman Twin Sister into Scumback loaded 2x12's.

This sounds way different, not bad, but definitely not amp in the room sound. I guess I just have to get used to it. Hiss is not bothering me, mine is so low you have to be quiet and listen for it to notice.

I did try it with my PS-100m and a 1x12 cabinet loaded with a Fat Jimmy speaker. Turned cabs off, turned down speaker resonance on the models I tried. Also put in an EQ shelf starting about 6k. Man this sounds great! I would say at least 95% as good as the real thing, maybe better.

Playing into headphones sounds good, but always sounds like playing through headphones.

I guess I just need to give it more time with this speaker. Just a different experience.
For more of a 'amp in the room' thing try mixing in the same amp or similar without the cab IR in your preset. You would have two paths that then get an block mixer etc. where you can adjust the mix ratio.

I've been running 1 - 2 o'clock @ +4 bB too. Haven't noticed anything wrong.

EDIT: I always metoculously preset level and keep an eye on my output level meters.
Yeah I level my presets using the preset levelling tool (go figure) to come up just under the red on that meter. So far so good!

Whatever the case for the Fender FRFR 1x12, they must be selling a ton of these and are still on backorder. Crazy no other manufacturer really thought that an FRFR cab might look like a standard guitar amp/cab and still sound decent.
I bet they paused the production line to add the mod and are now restarting production and distribution.

So do you think if I ordered one from sweetwater tomorrow it would be part of the production after the fix?
He just made a bet. I don’t think there is any confirmation this is actually happening.
Exactly. It's just a guess. I suspect if you order from Fender it'll be updated (assuming they really started doing that from the factory; we still need confirmation).

Sweetwater has them in stock. If they just got a new shipment, they might have the update...or might not lol.

Exactly. It's just a guess. I suspect if you order from Fender it'll be updated (assuming they really started doing that from the factory; we still need confirmation).

Sweetwater has them in stock. If they just got a new shipment, they might have the update...or might not lol.

You could just ask Sweetwater if they know or not. They’re probably aware of what’s been going on with the noise complaints. Or maybe not, but they seem to be on top of their game.

I have to wonder how many returns sweetwater had, or customer service calls they received...all because of the hiss problem. Those may be the same exact FRs coming out re-worked with new ICs . And perhaps missing a b-stock label.

Skanky .
They could have owned the FRFR buisness. ... but they keep stepping in their own steaming pile of bad decisions and bad design.

That vast majority of buyers will probably have no idea about this. Many people don't have a problem with the hiss as is. And I'd guess a lot of prospective buyers who do know about the hiss will just be like, "oh they fixed it? Cool, I'll take two."

I ordered one to test against my atomic CLR. I’m hoping it does the trick because something lighter would be nice
would be interested to hear how you think it stacks up against the CLR - have never had a chance to try or hear one of the mythical CLR's myself! At this point my wallet has put a moratorium on any more gear purchases.

Just checking back to see if @Cainer posted more clips yet. Nope. Lame. :tearsofjoy:
Sorry, took a break over xmas :tearsofjoy:

here's a quick clip of some outside-the-lines bluesin' from the Houston gig with the Superverb patch.

and a mellower one - original tune called Faith Healer - this is a Plexi 50 model I believe, with a trem.

My guitar was fighting me a bit on this gig as the neck got a little out of whack so the strings were fretting out on bends in some spots.
I'm still hunting for tones, but I'm digging everything I'm finding along the way ;)

Back
Top Bottom