FM9 Headphones output extremely loud - Ear protection

live_evil

I am using the FM9 with a pair of audio technica ATH-M50x but I found the Output 1 level extremely loud.
I have to carefully adjust the Output 1 knob, with values close to zero and I am always afraid to touch it and increase the level too much.
Is there a way to set the headphones level (output 1) to a specific level or engage a headphones ear protection value?
For example when I use my audio interface, I can setup a specific db level in the mixer software which I know is good for my headphones, but not too loud.
Thanks

Not sure of your setup, but I have used a 12 channel small Mackie Mixer to run everything through in my home studio.
I can adjust the various output volumes as needed.
I actually run my headphones out of the Mackie.

Not sure of your setup, but I have used a 12 channel small Mackie Mixer to run everything through in my home studio.
My setup is relative simple: just my laptop and the FM9 connected via usb.
I dug into the global settings and I got an idea: I reduced the level of output 1 global EQ to the minimum (-12 db).
It is still really loud, but now I can move the knob a bit more. If this value could be reduced more, it would be the perfect solution: I then would be able to position the knob to 12 o'clock (easy visual reference) and find the perfect volume.
Another possible solution: connect the FM9 via spdif to my audio interface (RME Fireface III) and monitor from it. It will be direct monitoring, so latency should be minimal.

You can turn down the volume in the Global EQ Settings, then return to default when not using phones.

You can turn down the volume in the Global EQ Settings, then return to default when not using phones.
I did exactly like that, but -12db is not enough. Way better, but not the best. Thanks for the suggestion, I think it is the best option at the moment.

Are you plugged into the “PHONES” Output?
Yes. It has to do with the impedance of the headphones and the power of the headphones ampli inside the FM9, which I think is really powerful, to accomodate even the most power hungry headphones. The audio tecnica I own, have an impedance of 38 ohms.
I also have a pair of Audeze LC2 close back with 70 ohms impedance and they are not as loud as the audio tecnica.
Here some example
With the global setting EQ level at -12db
  • with the audio tecnica (38 ohms)
    • volume knob at 8:30: quiet and comfortable
    • volume knob at 9 o'clock: correct volume
    • volume knob at 9:30: too loud
    • volume knob at 10:30: it starts to be painful
  • with the audeze (70 ohms)
    • volume knob at 9 o'clock: quiet and comfortable
    • volume knob at 9:30: correct volume
    • volume knob at 10:30 is louder but manageable
    • volume knob at 12 o'clock is too loud
    • anything more than that is painful
With the global setting EQ level at 0db
  • with the audio tecnica (38 ohms)
    • volume knob at 8 o'clock: correct volume
    • volume knob at 9 o'clock too loud
    • anything more than that is painful
  • with the audeze (70 ohms)
    • volume knob at 8:30: correct volume
    • volume knob at 9 o'clock: a bit louder (usable for a short time)
    • volume knob at 10:30 it starts to be painful

Must be the ohms. I can play through my Sony 7506 which are 63 ohms with Out 1 knob around 10 o'clock just fine.

Yes, it depends on the impedance and sensitivity of the headphones. Fractal gear can drive 300 ohm headphones pretty well, so you have to be careful with lower impedance cans like the ATH-M50's. They get crazy loud quick.

Wow, 38 ohms is about one tenth of my Sennheisers which are 300 ohms and I don’t get to half of the volume of output 1 so I can see where your’s gets crazy loud.

I am also using Audio Technica products like you, and I connected Output 3 to the headphone output and am not having any difficulties with volume issues.

I do the same exact thing-for many, many years-works great!

I am also using Audio Technica products like you, and I connected Output 3 to the headphone output and am not having any difficulties with volume issues.
How do you do that? I thought Headphones output is the same as Output 1. Is there a way to router it in a different way?

How do you do that? I thought Headphones output is the same as Output 1. Is there a way to router it in a different way?
I didn’t know this could be done.

You could have output 3 copy output 1 and it would send a quieter version on output 3, but you’d need an adapter to get stereo to your phones.

I use the Ath-m40x which are 35 Ohms and are very similar to the 50x.i have no issue with the volume. I leave output 1 set at around 10 o'clock position for both headphone use and what I send to FOH when playing live.

Back
Top Bottom