FM9 Firmware Version 7.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried uploading the new presets and now they are blank. Any idea why? My firmware is v6.0
They are compatible with V 7 beta
You need to ….
Downloaded the beta and load with Fractal Bot
Download the latest FM9 editor
Then down load the presets bank and use fractal bot to install
Then refresh after new Firmware is n the editor tools drop-down menu

Just got to installing this one. Holy crap, that Class-A 30W Brilliant thing really lives up to its name. I'm not really a Vox type of guy, but even I get hours worth of enjoyment from that model.

Looks like another impressive update, and it's much appreciated.

Boy, are you guys winding me up with the Class A Brilliant. I'm typically a Marshall/Splawn/Cameron/JVM guy playing any rock, 80's hair, pop, punk, alternative, etc.
I've recently started dabbling in the Class A stuff for some lighter rock tones and EOB.
Can't wait to try this model out along with all the other goodies.

I made a full backup of my presets, system config, and layouts (in case I need to revert; have gigs next two weekends) and updated to v7.

As a departure from my normal firmware upgrade, where I fully reset all AMP blocks, I just recalled my existing presets and re-saved them without changing anything to save the new AMP block defaults that where upgraded during preset recall....and went from there. After quick BMT, Input Gain, and Level adjustments I was back in business pretty quickly.

For fun, I reset my AMP block on CH-A with the same amp (CH-B: tweaked Friedman HBE V2 main tone) and didn't find it necessary to reset all of my AMP blocks/channels since I could dial in existing presets just as fast as starting from an initialized block, all while getting the same results.

I've only got a couple hours on v7 but my general observations:
-I love the way the amps now have a little more "bark" to them, more punchy and they react more "immediate"...more in-your-face

-the low end is more controlled and tighter; I love how the low end feels/reacts and how adding more Bass/Depth doesn't "smear" as much as before

-there is more "gnarly hair" around the edges in the upper mids/highs overall; the overall tone has increased definition...it's like there is greater "resolution", detail, and a forward presence overall. This is the most apparent change that I'm hearing in mainly distorted tones.

Awesome job everyone! There are some tangible improvements all around here...

Last edited:
I made a full backup of my presets, system config, and layouts (in case I need to revert; have gigs next two weekends) and updated to v7.

As a departure from my normal firmware upgrade, where I fully reset all AMP blocks, I just recalled my existing presets and re-saved them without changing anything to save the new AMP block defaults that where upgraded during preset recall....and went from there. After quick BMT, Input Gain, and Level adjustments I was back in business pretty quickly.

For fun, I reset my AMP block on CH-A with the same amp (CH-B: tweaked Friedman HBE V2 main tone) and didn't find it necessary to reset all of my AMP blocks/channels since I could dial in existing presets just as fast as starting from an initialized block, all while getting the same results.

I've only got a couple hours on v7 but my general observations:
-I love the way the amps now have a little more "bark" to them, more punchy and they react more "immediate"...more in-your-face

-the low end is more controlled and tighter; I love how the low end feels/reacts and how adding more Bass/Depth doesn't "smear" as much as before

-there is more "gnarly hair" around the edges in the upper mids/highs overall; the overall tone has increased definition...it's like there is greater "resolution", detail, and a forward presence overall. This is the most apparent change that I'm hearing in all tones.

Awesome job everyone! There are some tangible improvements all around here...
Agreed on the low end , there is much more clarity and pick attack , I find on some of the higher gainers , the low end is a little stiffer to play. but it really reacts to the pick attack , with no flub , I also noticed that range on the tone controls is much wider sweep , you can crank up the bass and the treble without it sounding flabby or ear piercing .

The individual Characters of the amps come through more as mentioned above something like the VH4 CH3 is kind of stiff in the lows and dry sounding , which reminds me a lot more of the real amp

They are compatible with V 7 beta
You need to ….
Downloaded the beta and load with Fractal Bot
Download the latest FM9 editor
Then down load the presets bank and use fractal bot to install
Then refresh after new Firmware is n the editor tools drop-down menu
thank you for responding I did all of this exactly, and the presets are still empty. I don't know what the heck is going on!

thank you for responding I did all of this exactly, and the presets are still empty. I don't know what the heck is going on!
If you did then you wouldn't have that problem.

I suspect you did not load the updated firmware.

Post a screenshot of FM9-Edit on the main view.

In my preset I had a sequencer doing a faux auto wah and that got zeroed out when loading in the FM9 beta. I did test setting values and saving and they did save correctly, but the previous Sequencer values from v6 was not retained after loading the beta preset.
Hmm, might have been a temporary glitch. Yesterday when I was working on preset-levelling for the beta firmware, an autowah preset didn't have the sequencer and modifier set correctly. I tried to restore from my backup bank from v6 backup and that didn't work either.

Today I grabbed my old Fm9 (with the small screens that runs v6) and copied the preset from there. When I then loaded this into the new FM9 with the beta firmware I can restore the old preset and it's working. I also tried loading this from the backup and that works as well. I'm 100% sure there was an issue yesterday and an apparent reboot seems to have fixed it. I'll keep an eye out and see if it happens again but for now I'll just note this down as a temporary glitch. Thanks guys for investigating as well.

The way is to backup first, update firmware, then use fractool to see the backup values and compare
I'm curious....with the remastering....are all of the audible differences reflected in the numerical parameter values or might it be the case that there is something happening under the covers that is not represented by the parameter values? For example, perhaps FW v6 Transformer Drive = 1.0 is NOT equivalent to FW v7 Transformer Drive = 1.0 in terms of how the algorithm behaves in detail.

Just wondering as I have a few Fender presets where I've altered some of these settings (like Transformer Drive, Power Tube Bias Excursion) and I'm wondering if it's a simple procedure to revert the settings back to achieve the same results or if the effect of the remastering is a result of something more than just changing the parameter values we can see in the editor.

are all of the audible differences reflected in the numerical parameter values
No, the algorithm has changed.

or might it be the case that there is something happening under the covers that is not represented by the parameter values?
Yes.

For example, perhaps FW v6 Transformer Drive = 1.0 is NOT equivalent to FW v7 Transformer Drive = 1.0 in terms of how the algorithm behaves in detail.
At the default it seems like they should be functionally or reasonably equivalent, but they might (or might not) behave differently when deviating from default. Only Cliff could say.

I'm wondering if it's a simple procedure to revert the settings back to achieve the same results or if the effect of the remastering is a result of something more than just changing the parameter values we can see in the editor.
There's no exact or definite "reverting" back to a previous FW's tone by changing settings back (because the algorithm has changed). But using to your previous settings will likely get you in the ballpark, if not better after tweaking.

Last edited:
No, the algorithm has changed.

Yes.

At the default it seems like they should be functionally or reasonably equivalent, but they might (or might not) behave differently when deviating from default. Only Cliff could say.

There's no exact or definite "reverting" back to a previous FW's tone by changing settings back (because the algorithm has changed). But using to your previous settings will likely get you in the ballpark, if not better after tweaking.
Thanks! That's basically what I expected and is implied by having a new modelling generation, Cygnus X-3, and its Improved Preamp, Power Amp, and Output Transformer modelling.

However, the idea that "as a consequence of the new modelling many default parameter values have been changed"....it made me think of the old Spinal Tap "these amps go to 11...they're one louder" scene where the interviewer says "Why don't you just make 10 louder?" ....so 10 is still the top level but louder than before....

In other words...why change the parameter values as a result of the new modelling? ....unless there's a desire to use the parameter values to somehow represent the relative changes that are introduced by FW 7.0. I imagine there are legitimate and complex reasons that only Cliff and his team would really understand but....it just made me curious. :)

Waiting for my FM9 to get back from Ian and the crew on Monday (thank you @fractalsupport for the quick work & look over) to give this beta a go. If it's anything like the latest FW25 for AF3, I know it is going to be insanely great!!! (FWIW there was nothing wrong with my FM9).

why change the parameter values as a result of the new modelling? ....unless there's a desire to use the parameter values to somehow represent the relative changes that are introduced by FW 7.0.
Only CC knows.

My guess is that when he remeasures and reworks certain parts of modeling and then "remasters" the individual amp models, certain parameters might shift around a bit (slightly or not so slightly) based on different responses and interactions. Some of them might be his personal preference as well (eg warmer bias on Fenders).

Last edited:
As unix-guy said, they "appear blank", but don't worry, they're actually there.

Older firmware won't display presets "from the future" because it can't know about future parameters and how to interpret their values so there's a built-in hands-off policy. Upgrading the firmware to the correct version will make them visible, or, reinstall them from a backup or the factory distribution and you should be good to go.
I updated to the beta fw7 and they are working now. Thanks yall!

Noob question - if I just load my previous presets after updating the firmware, do I need to “refresh after firmware”? I thought I saw that option somewhere. Or should I be good to go with my existing presets?

Noob question - if I just load my previous presets after updating the firmware, do I need to “refresh after firmware”? I thought I saw that option somewhere. Or should I be good to go with my existing presets?
Refresh After New Firmware has nothing to do with presets.

It forces the editor to rescan the block definitions from the hardware.

But why are you wanting to reload your presets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom