FM9 Firmware Version 7.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Newer user here and excited about the new AC-30 and the Kill Dry switch, as I miss just using a mix percentage for parallel effects. Gonna wait for the offical release, but guess I need to figure out how the update process works on FA stuff as I haven't had to do it yet.

Last edited:
Last week or so I've been deep diving into getting my sound to feel more lively dynamic, "real" in a sense... Just completed the upgrade and all the stock sounds feel like you could play them right out of the box with no edits! Not just blowing smoke, it already sounded incredible, but after this update I can hear an instant enhancement and just completely put my FM9 way above any modeler I've ever owned. Thank you

Last edited:
I took the release notes of changes will auto apply upon recall as a no. I did reset amp blocks on my custom presets
Public Beta Version 7.00 - April 11, 2024

NOTE 1: The FM9 supports DynaCab speaker simulation, introduced in firmware 5.0. If you are upgrading from firmware 4.x or
older, you will also need to install the DynaCabs update. If you already installed the DynaCabs update with 5.0 or newer you do
NOT need to reinstall it as there have been no changes. If you see a message about DynaCabs not installed, please see this
article: https://support.fractalaudio.com/en...abs-not-installed-or-incorrect-version-286538
NOTE 2: This version comes with updated factory presets. Differences include updated amp parameter values already saved (see below),
controller LFOs updated in a few cases, and CPU level reduced on “Poltergeist Pig”. Find them here.
NEW “CYGNUS X-3” AMP MODELING
Cygnus X-3 is the latest amp modeling technology for Axe-Fx III, FM9, and FM3. It improves the sound, feel, and accuracy of our amp models,
making them closer to their real world counterparts, with more rumble and bite and other nasty things that tube amps do.
● Nearly all amps have been “remastered” using new measurement techniques and analytical methods.
● Improved Preamp, Power Amp, and Output Transformer modeling.
● As a consequence of the new modeling many default parameter values have been changed. Existing presets are automatically
updated to the new parameter values upon recall.
The updated parameters are:
  • Preamp Low Cut Freq
  • Preamp Hi Cut Freq
  • Triode1/2 Plate Frequency
  • All Cathode Follower parameters
  • Preamp Bias
  • Preamp Bias Excursion
  • PI Bias Excursion
  • Power Tube Bias Excursion
  • Transformer LF/HF
  • Transformer Drive
  • Power Tube Grid Bias
  • Cathode Resistance
  • Cathode Time Constant
  • Negative Feedback
  • Supply Sag
NEW FEATURES & UPDATES
● New “Sunrise Splendor” Drive model. The existing model was renamed “Sunrise Splendor Hi-Cut” to note that the switch is engaged.
● New “Class-A 30W Brilliant” Amp model.
● Added “Kill Dry” control to Delay, Multitap Delay, Pitch, Plex and Reverb blocks. When set to ON the dry signal is muted. This
simplifies routing these blocks in parallel. When using these blocks in parallel the user can turn Kill Dry on and set the wet level
using the Mix control, leaving the Level control at 0dB. This also has the advantage that the wet level is controlled by the global
Reverb/Effects Mix, if desired.
● Improved Input block Noise Gate.
● Improved Classic Expander and Modern Expander types in Gate block.
● Input Trim control added for Mesa AMP models.
FIXES
● "Zoom" knob label doesn't interfere w/ edited preset warning message on main GUI screen.
● Modifiers using "External X" source with PCReset ‘ON’ will not override the stored parameter value in the default preset at startup.
● Corrected errors in Dimension1 Chorus type definition.
● Channel Select ; Previous Channel footswitch function corrected for AMP type.
● Fixed outgoing MIDI and MIDI pass-through messages could become garbled when using MIDI Thru 'ON' setting.
● Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb Vibrato, Double Verb Vibrato, Super Verb Vibrato and all Vibrato Verb models.
● Delayed audio data for effects no longer on the routing grid after a preset change are cleared regardless of Spillover setting.
● Fixed wrong FX loop recovery gain in Suhr Badger models.
● Fixed global settings not recalled if MIDI data is present on the MIDI In jack during bootup.

Installed the beta and played with a few presets. Everything came alive! Grittier, in a good way, more note separation. Marshall models feel more wild and untamed. Only adjustments I need was to adjust Amp block levels on some of my presets and to increase the treble and mids on my Friedman patch.

All the excitement on the AFIII beta threads was well founded!

FM9 Firmware Version 7.00 public beta (1) is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm9/7p0/fm9_dsp_rel_7p00_public_beta_1.zip

If updating from a firmware version older than 5.00, you will need to install the Dyna-Cabs update:
https://support.fractalaudio.com/en...abs-not-installed-or-incorrect-version-286538

Updated factory presets are available:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm9-downloads/

An updated version of FM9-Edit is required for use with this release:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-02-10-to-support-fw-7-00-public-beta.203535/

If you are upgrading from version 4.01 or older, please follow the instructions in the Firmware Update guide PDF that is included to install the firmware and Dyna-Cabs. If you are updating from 5.00 or higher, Dyna-Cabs do not need to be reinstalled.
Loading this now and taking it to rehearsal tonight. Wish me luck.......

If you use preset bank A for user presets and want to load the factory presets into banks B, C and D instead of A, B, and C, you can use the FM9 Edit preset manager to load the factory presets into different banks. Open the preset manager, drag and drop the bank-A.syx file into the browser on the left. Select all the presets in the browser and drag to preset number 128 instead of 0. This will load the first bank of factory presets into bank B instead of A, leaving your user presets untouched. Do the same thing with bank-B.syx starting at 256 and bank-C.syx starting at 384.

If you use preset bank A for user presets and want to load the factory presets into banks B, C and D instead of A, B, and C, you can use the FM9 Edit preset manager to load the factory presets into different banks. Open the preset manager, drag and drop the bank-A.syx file into the browser on the left. Select all the presets in the browser and drag to preset number 128 instead of 0. This will load the first bank of factory presets into bank B instead of A, leaving your user presets untouched. Do the same thing with bank-B.syx starting at 256 and bank-C.syx starting at 384.
FractalBot will prompt you as well... no need to drag and drop.

All FM3 users be like .. :wink:

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

After loading and running for maybe 15 minutes I noticed that Footswitch #3 did nothing. That's my default scene...

I went into the EZ Mode on the front panel and pressing the button had no effect. Pressing other buttons brought up the respective configs as expected.

A reboot resolved the issue.

Just reporting in case it is an issue... Most likely a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom