FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gapless preset switching really making me lazy. As soon as tweaking a preset for the next songpart gets slightly complex, i'll copy the preset to the next slot and tweak from there. So now i'm becoming a multiple-presets-per-song guy i guess :D

Oh, and @NattyBar, i did change some global settings in an attempt to reproduce your issue, but couldn't reproduce. What happens if you (re-)clear and save an empty preset on the latest FW?

Oh, and @NattyBar, i did change some global settings in an attempt to reproduce your issue, but couldn't reproduce. What happens if you (re-)clear and save an empty preset on the latest FW?

Thanks for helping try to replicate it.

Troubleshooting across several approaches. When I rolled back to FW5.01 I cleared all presets (on the FM9 unit) and reloaded the FW6 beta.

On FW6 beta, the sound occurs when selecting empty presets:
  • In banks that were cleared when on FW5.01 and untouched after updating
  • In imported banks which haven't been edited or saved in FW6
  • After saving a working preset into that slot, clearing the preset (in Preset menu), saving, and then reloading
  • That were unedited and have been recleared and resaved via Manage

Thanks for helping try to replicate it.

Troubleshooting across several approaches. When I rolled back to FW5.01 I cleared all presets (on the FM9 unit) and reloaded the FW6 beta.

On FW6 beta, the sound occurs when selecting empty presets:
  • In banks that were cleared when on FW5.01 and untouched after updating
  • In imported banks which haven't been edited or saved in FW6
  • After saving a working preset into that slot, clearing the preset (in Preset menu), saving, and then reloading
  • That were unedited and have been recleared and resaved via Manage
Do you hear noise if you detach all cables except power and listen with headphones? I am wondering if there is some quirk with audio cables, routing, DAW settings, etc.

Are there new algorithms or just new default values? If I save the whole block in my library, reselect the models on all 4 channels, then load the block from my library, will I have the improved reverbs or the old ones? Just trying to avoid having to manually recreate all 4 channels on my main reverb block.

Regardless, I am noticing a much less dense sound with the same settings on Nimbostratus for example. I can revert to the previous firmware and do an A/B if that would help.

Edit: just tested the same block and preset on to 5.01, Nimbostratus is definitely much less dense than on 6.00 on the same settings. It's pretty obvious when listening and it's visible in the decay of the tails:

View attachment 133813
First thing I noticed was.....my tails sound different. like louder than before and maybe a quicker decay afterwards.

I have decided not to upgrade to the existing FW 6.0 public beta and existing FM9Edit until all the existing bugs are ironed out and fixed in the FW 6.1. Judging on past release behavior , what would be a likely release date for both of these two?

For clarification - if only using gapless switching in scenes & blocks (not for preset changes), then the global spillover setting and saving in the new firmware are not necessary - correct? Seems to be working this way. . .

I have decided not to upgrade to the existing FW 6.0 public beta and existing FM9Edit until all the existing bugs are ironed out and fixed in the FW 6.1. Judging on past release behavior , what would be a likely release date for both of these two?
A public beta is not an official firmware release, so you would only have to wait for the public beta to end and for Fractal to release the official 6.0 FW

Do you hear noise if you detach all cables except power and listen with headphones? I am wondering if there is some quirk with audio cables, routing, DAW settings, etc.

You may have uncovered something here... I hadn't unplugged any cables on FM9 since updating the firmware. Glad to report that after removing all cables and selecting an Empty preset on the unit there was no output to the headphones. Plugged the guitar in and moved between presets still nothing unusual. Added expression pedal and XLRs and all seems to be working correctly.

Strange the feedback would only occur on an empty grid where there is technically no signal but at least at this point it seems to have been solved. Thanks @rickboot

Wow - this update is truly spectacular. Well done team Fractal. Mind blown.

Because of the gapless switching, DynaCab technology, new everything (or so it seems), I'm once again completely rethinking how I build presets from the ground up. Which is a very good, if not slightly daunting thing. I've mostly made "kitchen sink" type presets in the past. Now I'm wondering what I'll do with potentially 8 channels of amps, and all the wonders instant switching affords us. It's a lovely problem to have. Thanks - LOL

In addition to exploring the new firmware, which is just jaw dropping at every turn, I just started working with CabLab 4 and I grabbed the 4x12 Freed Man DynaCab pack and started learning my way around that pack & the app. It's literally a whole new ballgame now. This isn't remotely like the FM9 I bought over 2 years ago. The capabilities are so far in excess of the initial purchase that I can't express enough gratitude to FAS for being the company they are. There's a decent chance I'll grab the remaining DynaCab packs before the weekend is over.

If anyone feels a need to start a firmware 6 update support group to help absorb all the new possibilities at hand, sign me up. I'll be spending most of the entire weekend experimenting with new ideas for crafting new presets worthy of this release. It's so good I wouldn't even know what to ask for to make it better at this point. Fortunately, Fractal seems to always be several steps ahead of us when it comes to knowing how to level up such an amazing product. Again, thanks, and Bravo !!

Possible bug:
I've created a bare bone preset (In/Out + Amp + CAB).
  1. Loaded my Friedman HBE C45 setting from the block library (saved on current firmware).
  2. Loaded afterward my Brit 20 settings on the same channel (I have forgotten which firmware was the save, probably 4ish).
  3. Loaded my Plexi 6CA7 setting (firmware save probably 4ish).
  4. Loaded the Brit 20 settings again. Volume is now lower as in step 2.
checked with different preset combinations, looks like something with the settings seems wrong. I remember that there was one who said that the amps got quieter, maybe this is the effect he meant?

Attached a simple preset and the 3 amp block settings which I used. Would be awesome to know if this is really a problem, or just something on the settings is broken.

Attachments

• [crunch] Brit Studio 20_20230719_172304.blk
    1.8 KB · Views: 9
  • [crunch] Plexi 50W 6CA7_20230719_172206.blk
    1.8 KB · Views: 8
  • [higain] Friedman HBE C45_20230719_172058.blk
    1.8 KB · Views: 6
  • bare.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
Will there be updated preset banks to go with FW6 final?

I haven't been using my FM9 actively, except for occasional home noodling on random presets. This FW looks like a good time to re-engage!

You may have uncovered something here... I hadn't unplugged any cables on FM9 since updating the firmware. Glad to report that after removing all cables and selecting an Empty preset on the unit there was no output to the headphones. Plugged the guitar in and moved between presets still nothing unusual. Added expression pedal and XLRs and all seems to be working correctly.

Strange the feedback would only occur on an empty grid where there is technically no signal but at least at this point it seems to have been solved. Thanks @rickboot
Glad it is working. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom