FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tested this some more and I am very stumped as to what is going on. This is in regards to the post above. I did some more testing and see this behavior-

This is all happening in FM9 edit, the version that was just posted earlier today.

1. Preset 463 Plexi amped, I have four scenes. Each scene has the 1987x amp on it on a different channel with different settings on each channel. Not a complex preset, amp, delay, reverb , filter and a volume pan. I lower the speaker resonance, both high and low on each scene and save it. If I change scenes the settings I see on the cab tab on the amp for resonance it is changed back to the much higher high and low settings before the save.

This is where it gets odd. If I switch down to preset 462 using the - button and then go back up to preset 463 using the + button I see my changes, the speaker resonance settings are at the lower setting. If I use the + button and go to preset 464 and and then go back to preset 463 using the - button the resonance is back to the higher default setting. I can go back down to 462 and then come back up to 463 using the + button the lower settings are showing again.

I have not changed anything outside of switch presets up and down with the + and - symbols in FM9 edit.

The preset in slot 464 will not save these settings, no matter what I do as soon as I change scenes or go up or down a preset it shows the higher resonance settings despite me having saved it,

Truly stumped here.
This looks to be tied together with the auto-impedance feature of the AMP when using Dyna-Cab. The next update will include fixes.
For your purposes, as a workaround, try leaving a CAB1 block in you preset, set to Legacy mode. You don't need to use it, or even connect it to anything. This will prevent "stale" data left over from the last loaded preset which used a CAB effect from effecting your currently loaded preset.
Thanks

Updated many of the Reverb models. Existing presets are not affected. Reselecting the model will load the new default values.
Are there new algorithms or just new default values? If I save the whole block in my library, reselect the models on all 4 channels, then load the block from my library, will I have the improved reverbs or the old ones? Just trying to avoid having to manually recreate all 4 channels on my main reverb block.

Regardless, I am noticing a much less dense sound with the same settings on Nimbostratus for example. I can revert to the previous firmware and do an A/B if that would help.

Edit: just tested the same block and preset on to 5.01, Nimbostratus is definitely much less dense than on 6.00 on the same settings. It's pretty obvious when listening and it's visible in the decay of the tails:

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 3.53.10 PM.png

Last edited:
Got it loaded up with most recent FM9-Edit and tried several of my favorite presets.

Word of warning, I am not a big tweaker. Use Bank 1 of stock presets with simple low cut on cabs. Use Austin Buddy presets.
The FM 9 sounds and feels great.

Just got back from practice, this firmware sounds so juicy, and the cleans sound so sweet!! Made use of the spring reverbs and it was exhilarating hearing the springs bouncing around through the FOH. I had zero issues playing for 3 hours! Absolutely love these updates! Thank you FAS and beta testers, you’ve outdone yourselves!!

If I save the whole block in my library, reselect the models on all 4 channels, then load the block from my library, will I have the improved reverbs or the old ones?
You will have the new models once you load the new firmware. The only way to get the old models is to revert to the old firmware.

Presets don’t store models. Among other things they store the parameters that are applied to the models because they contain the channel information. Blocks stored in the library are similar, because they store the channels too.

Î

I’ve always used the ods clean with the master volume a nearly max position.

This amp was always quieter than others.

There are a number of amp models that are quieter than the majority of the rest, actually. It seems that some are not even in the ballpark you'd think they would be in, given the relative output of the IRL amp. The output level knob on the amp block has enough range to make them play nice, but it makes you go, "Hmmm....". 🤔

You probably have Auto Speaker Impedance turned on
I had the cab on Dyna Cabs, turning it off fixed the issue. Even with the cab bypassed it would not hold s
This looks to be tied together with the auto-impedance feature of the AMP when using Dyna-Cab. The next update will include fixes.
For your purposes, as a workaround, try leaving a CAB1 block in you preset, set to Legacy mode. You don't need to use it, or even connect it to anything. This will prevent "stale" data left over from the last loaded preset which used a CAB effect from effecting your currently loaded preset.
Thanks
Thanks for responding. I figured that out last night and removed this post as I resolved it. It was acting strange for sure. And thanks for the wonderful gapless switching, really enjoying it!

I've discovered a minor bug post-install of v6.00-beta:

Footswitch #6 isn't working in any OMG-9 Layouts:
Preset Layout (button #6 -> "Bank-1")
Effects Layout (button #6 -> "Reverb 1A")
More FX Layout (button #6 -> "Pitch")
Custom Layout (button #6 -> "I have it configured for Scene #8")
Looper Layout (button #6 -> "Reverse")

Tested this for several of my presets, all have footswitch #6 disabled/not working; that button isn't switching any of my layouts.
Just tried your preset. Button 6 works for me.

I've discovered a minor bug post-install of v6.00-beta:

Footswitch #6 isn't working in any OMG-9 Layouts:
Preset Layout (button #6 -> "Bank-1")
Effects Layout (button #6 -> "Reverb 1A")
More FX Layout (button #6 -> "Pitch")
Custom Layout (button #6 -> "I have it configured for Scene #8")
Looper Layout (button #6 -> "Reverse")

Tested this for several of my presets, all have footswitch #6 disabled/not working; that button isn't switching any of my layouts.

After doing a System reset, a Layout reset and a reboot after that it's functioning again.

These two freshly created presets and saved to new locations, don't switch gaplessly between them.

I have Global Settings -> Gapless Channels/Scene/Preset set to "ALL"

My existing presets gaplessly switch between scenes fine, but the presets themselves have a slight dropout. I've ensured those existing presets have been re-saved under v6.00-beta.
Spillover set to “All” as well?

Yes, I've verified it's set there; I don't get gapless switching between any presets (that were re-saved under v6) including those two I posted (which are brand new, freshly created presets with just the blocks added; no tweaking at all).

I'm going to play with this more....
Just to be clear, you have:

• Gapless set to All
  • Spillover set to All
  • Saved presets under new Firmware
I think you have, but want to confirm.

Edit:

And you're getting a gap in the audio, not a delay in preset change?

Just to be clear, you have:

• Gapless set to All
  • Spillover set to All
  • Saved presets under new Firmware
I think you have, but want to confirm.

Edit:

And you're getting a gap in the audio, not a delay in preset change?

Ahhh sorry everyone, this is all a user error here doh; I didn't have the Spillover on, I verified that setting before I reset my System parameters to solve my footswitch issue and overlooked that after doing so....ID10T error....heh.

Thanks for responding guys...

I asked before, but I don't think anyone answered. In the release notes it says that the Friedman BE/HBE amps were "improved and updated". Since The BE100 is my go to amp, I'm curious what has changed. Can anyone elaborate? Thanks.

I was curious about this too since I use the HBE V2 amp heavily and was wondering what changed. I compared the v5 and v6 versions to find these parameter differences:

HBE v2 (v5 -> v6):
Negative Feedback: 3.75 -> 5.28
Preamp Bias: 0.125 -> 0.037

Cathode Follower:
Compression: 75.4% -> 77%
Harmonics: 0.603 -> 0.519

Along with the new speaker parameter defaults, triode modeling, and amp interaction modeling my HBE presets are sounding a bit different, and better overall.

Bug: I'm not sure if this is an FM9 or Editor issue however I'm getting volume spikes when loading up empty presets via FM9-Edit. I've captured a video of the behaviour.

If I copy a preset into any of the blank slots it will load and perform normally however the empty fields are giving me bad rave party vibes...

Video of the bug is here

A BUG in here somewhere.

After my initial report it seemed like an isolated case so I reverted back to FW5.01, did a factory reset, reinstalled the latest FM9-Edit, and reloaded the beta file.

I'm still experiencing the same behaviour as captured in this video. A loud burst of volume whenever selecting an EMPTY preset slot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom