FM9 Firmware Version 4.01

Unfortunately, as much as I appreciate the new, more explicit input clipping warning, it seems to confirm a suspicion I've had for quite some time--the FM9 can't support the output levels coming from my humbucker-equipped guitars. I'm getting the input clipping warning with every single one of them. My Majesty clips even when the level is set to 0% (playing moderately hard, without the on-board boost activated). My other guitars start clipping somewhere between 3-8%--again, moderate playing and no boosts active.

It's possible there is a bug with the display, and it's incorrectly reporting clipping when there is none. I would hope that's the case, because otherwise, that's a major bummer. I have other gear that doesn't report or appear to be clipping with the same guitars.

I haven't updated my Axe Fx III to the latest beta to see if this is something unique to the FM9, or if the analog front ends on these units just don't have the headroom for my guitars. I'll say even on my Axe Fx III, I've always felt I've done more than "tickle" the red, even with the input level set very low. I shall see when I finally update it.

@Brian Angiel Other people with EBMM Majesty guitars have reported in the input clipping thread in the Axe-FX III section that they are able to get their system setup with the level set in the 5-6% range. I imagine that there are several variables at play here. These may include how hard you play, what gauge of strings you're using, how much distance you have between your pickups and the strings and they type of material your strings are made of.

Regardless, it appears that the input doesn't have very much headroom relative to the output levels of many modern pickup types. I had to set my Axe-FX III to 13.8% in order to prevent my hottest pickup (Tom Anderson H2+ which is described as a medium+ output pickup) from clipping the input.

@Brian Angiel Other people with EBMM Majesty guitars have reported in the input clipping thread in the Axe-FX III section that they are able to get their system setup with the level set in the 5-6% range. I imagine that there are several variables at play here. These may include how hard you play, what gauge of strings you're using, how much distance you have between your pickups and the strings and they type of material your strings are made of.
I was one of the folks that responded to that other thread. I thought I was OK with my input set to 5%, but clearly, my idea of "tickling" the red wasn't quite right. I understand there are variables at play, but unfortunately, those are a bit out of my control. I can't change my pickup height (I suppose I could change my pickups, but I don't have any idea what won't clip the input at this point), and I'm pretty comfortable with my pick, strings, and general playing style.

Regardless, it appears that the input doesn't have very much headroom relative to the output levels of many modern pickup types. I had to set my Axe-FX III to 13.8% in order to prevent my hottest pickup (Tom Anderson H2+ which is described as a medium+ output pickup) from clipping the input.
Unfortunately, yeah :(

I play a Majesty, Fly, and RG through my FM9 and all three of them blow up the input if I set it above 8%, always had. So it's not just an issue with the Ernie ball, it's actually an issue with the FM9 input.

I play a Majesty, Fly, and RG through my FM9 and all three of them blow up the input if I set it above 8%, always had. So it's not just an issue with the Ernie ball, it's actually an issue with the FM9 input.
I wish I could help you guys with the issue but I’m just looking to learn more. What would cause the fm9 to not be able to handle the output of your pickups?

I was one of the folks that responded to that other thread. I thought I was OK with my input set to 5%, but clearly, my idea of "tickling" the red wasn't quite right. I understand there are variables at play, but unfortunately, those are a bit out of my control. I can't change my pickup height (I suppose I could change my pickups, but I don't have any idea what won't clip the input at this point), and I'm pretty comfortable with my pick, strings, and general playing style.

Unfortunately, yeah :(
Maybe you can try to use input 2 or 3, those should have more headroom (4 dB more according to specs on the manual, +20 vs +16 dBu).
Anyway, if the specs are right, I wouldn't blame the fm9, +20 dBu is the same maximum input level that most professional equipment can accept, and that's basically (hot) line level even though it's coming from an instrument.

PS: I just checked and +16 dBu corresponds to 4.9 V, I couldn't even imagine that a guitar could produce such a high output!
Does it have active pickups/preamp and is it powered at 18v?

Last edited:
Still getting clipping alerts on the bridge pickup (SD 59 Custom Hybrid), sometimes with just hard chugging, sometimes with pinch harmonics. Have lowered sensitivity to 6% and it's getting infrequent, starting to think I'm too dumb / heavy handed / whathaveyou to set this up properly. At least it still sounds great and right now that's all that matters.

Yours truly,

Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying about Clipping Alerts and Love The Tone.

PS: I just checked and +16 dBu corresponds to 4.9 V, I couldn't even imagine that a guitar could produce such a high output!
Does it have active pickups/preamp and is it powered at 18v?
The Majesty does, but even my Silhouette and Albert Lee--which are just wood and wire--clip the input of the FM9.

No problems encountered. Thanks FAS team!

Love the new clipping indicator! As I was following along the AX3 discussion the last few weeks, I was going back down to 10% on the input level, which turned out that it wasn't required. I think my highest output pup I have is the same SD 59/Custom Hybrid that @J-V mentioned, and I have to increase input sensitivity to > 90% before I get the clipping warning. So back to 50% like I had before.

Caveat: I'm using a Lekator wireless. I haven't tried with a plain cable yet to see whether it makes a difference.

It doesn't "blow up the input". There's nothing fundamentally wrong with setting it to 8%. You can set is as low as 0% with no detrimental effect.

It doesn't "blow up the input". There's nothing fundamentally wrong with setting it to 8%. You can set is as low as 0% with no detrimental effect.
This is good info, thank you for chiming in. And for everything else as well.

Back
Top Bottom