FM9 as pedalboard question

Nimbas

Inspired
My FM9 direct has been great - lots of fun. Sound, feel, and tone are fantastic.

I was wanting to use it in front of my amp just as a pedal board for delay and reverb - but for some reason I am getting like a pulsing noise when I hook it up even before I turn on the power - it's quite loud and not usable as is.

I have the guitar into IN1 on the FM9 - and then going OUT 3 to the front of the amp. Out 3 on the front panel all the way up.

I'd think with a basic chain of IN1 > OUT3 it should sound the same as when my guitar is plugged right into the amp but it doesn't.

I tried turning stuff off around the house - plugging the amp into the same outlet as the FM9 - then different outlets - nothing seems to make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Is this where a Humbuster cable would help? I don’t use real amps so I’m not sure.

That’s definitely odd.

Just for shits and giggles, did you try routing things to Out1 and trying it that way to see if the same thing happened?

I was running mine into a Hot Rod Deluxe for a couple weeks, both straight in and 4CM, I had some humming issues with 4CM that I thought were related to the FM9, but then realized I get the hum occasionally just turning the Powerstage/BAM200 without anything connected and just have shitty power in my apartment.

No issues at all into the front end, I was having a blast with it. Namely with the drives, which I feel are 10x easier to get a great sound with minimal tweaking going into an actual amp.

Is this where a Humbuster cable would help? I don’t use real amps so I’m not sure.
I don't think I'm hearing the type of thing a Humbuster cable would resolve. I guess I was just more concerned there was something wrong or if anyone could confirm they use this type of setup.

You try the pad option for output 3 and/or turning down output 3?

Might also try output 1 (may need to set at -10dB setting) and the ground lift switch.

You try the pad option for output 3 and/or turning down output 3?

Might also try output 1 (may need to set at -10dB setting) and the ground lift switch.
Yessir - it does it no matter which output - and even if the unit isn't powered on but is plugged in the wall. It's the same even if the volume is all the way down on the outputs.

Have you tried plugging into a different outlet (both the amp and FM9)?

Try getting a cheap outlet tester at the hardware store and test the ones you're using.

Something is definitely not right here... I would definitely contact Fractal support on this issue.

I have the guitar into IN1 on the FM9 - and then going OUT 3 to the front of the amp. Out 3 on the front panel all the way up.

I'd think with a basic chain of IN1 > OUT3 it should sound the same as when my guitar is plugged right into the amp but it doesn't.

I tried turning stuff off around the house - plugging the amp into the same outlet as the FM9 - then different outlets - nothing seems to make a difference.
Before the power is turned on to the FM9. When it is simply plugged in - it makes the noise - even not powered on.
[…] and even if the unit isn't powered on but is plugged in the wall. It's the same even if the volume is all the way down on the outputs.

Then I see no way that it’s the FM9. Without power it can’t contribute any processing or sound and when the output is at 0 it won’t.

Is ANYTHING else connected that is attached to an A/C outlet? USB from the computer to the modeler?

Start at 0, disconnect EVERYTHING and proceed slowly and logically. Create a new preset that is an In 1 -> Amp 1 -> Cab 1 -> Out 1. Does your guitar into the modeler, with nothing but guitar and headphones, listening with headphones only, reproduce the problem? If so, replace the guitar cable and try again. If it still continues then it’s not the cable, so try a different guitar. If it still continues, then it’s possible the problem is the FM9. If it’s gone, then use that combination, and you know it’s not the FM9 per se, but possibly there’s a compound problem caused by combining different things.

Continue testing, slowly introducing single pieces and see when the problem begins.

It’s important to remember that a lot of people use the modeler the same way but without that problem, so immediately fingering it as the problem makes little sense.

Talk to support@fractalaudio.com too.

Last edited:
Then I see no way that it’s the FM9. Without power it can’t contribute any processing or sound and when the output is at 0 it won’t.

Is ANYTHING else connected that is attached to an A/C outlet? USB from the computer to the modeler?

Start at 0, disconnect EVERYTHING and proceed slowly and logically. Create a new preset that is an In 1 -> Amp 1 -> Cab 1 -> Out 1. Does your guitar into the modeler, with nothing but guitar and headphones, listening with headphones only, reproduce the problem? If so, replace the guitar cable and try again. If it still continues then it’s not the cable, so try a different guitar. If it still continues, then it’s possible the problem is the FM9. If it’s gone, then use that combination, and you know it’s not the FM9 per se, but possibly there’s a compound problem caused by combining different things.

Continue testing, slowly introducing single pieces and see when the problem begins.

It’s important to remember that a lot of people use the modeler the same way but without that problem, so immediately fingering it as the problem makes little sense.

Talk to support@fractalaudio.com too.

It does have power - it's just not turned on. I'm a software developer - so I know how to think logically and eliminate variables.

If I have an amp plugged into the wall and one guitar plugged into it and it sounds perfect - then proceed to run that signal through the FM9 (guitar > FM9 > OUT3 > amp input) as soon as I plug the FM9 into the wall the noise starts - before it is turned on (but yes plugged in).

When I turn it on - nothing changes - the noise remains.

No - nothing else plugged into the outlet. Yes - tried different outlets than the amp - same outlet - etc. I flipped the ground lift on and off - tried different cables - no avail.

If I plug into the front of my Katana or in the effects loop - I hear the same thing - so it's not the amp.

My friend will be stopping by later this week with his HX Effects - so we'll see what the outcome of that is.

I'm a software developer - so I know how to think logically and eliminate variables.
One thing doesn't actually imply the other, though we would hope so ;)

If I plug into the front of my Katana or in the effects loop - I hear the same thing - so it's not the amp.
I'm betting there is a hardware fault on the unit. Support will get you sorted out.

One thing I don't think you've tried which was suggested more than once: try Output 1 instead. That could help narrow the problem down.

Also, I assume you're using a standard TS instrument cable from FM9 to the amp?

It does have power - it's just not turned on. I'm a software developer - so I know how to think logically and eliminate variables.
A number of us are software, hardware, and chip developers, etc., and also think logically and know how to eliminate variables. We are trying to help you solve this problem, so accept the help in the spirit it is given; you asked for our help so we’re giving it. Nobody is assuming anything bad about you.

The power might be connected, but the unit does not have a software-controlled power switch, so, unless the on/off switch is in the ON position, the unit is not on. It will be grounded though, and being grounded could be the problem if the circuits have different potential as a ground loop could occur the instant the units are connected together, which would not go away when the power is actually turned on.

Fractal’s Humbuster cables can help with ground loops. The manual describes how to build them on p. 6; they’re not the usual TRS to TS cables.

What amp is that - does it have a proper grounded power cable or a DC adaptor?

Have you tried using the ground lift from the back of the FM9? - that will only work if you have an XLR - TS (or TRS) cable available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom