FM3 pitch block (vs AX8)

rednebb

Inspired
Hello, it's been a long time since I've been active on this forum. I actually made several youtube demos for G66 of both the Axe-Fx Ultra, Axe-Fx II, and the AX8 several years ago, when these units were new in Europe. But since I got my AX8, I've been so happy with it, it's been all that I've needed (or at least, almost..). Out of curiosity, I've been looking at the FM3 of course, but I've gotten so used to having all the AX8's onboard footswitches and being able to have four expression pedals connected, that the lack of these features on the FM3 has been a turnoff for me. There's one thing I'm not happy with on the AX8 though; the pitch block. The pitch block in both the Axe-Fx Ultra and the II sounded much better. So when I need octaver/pitch/whammy/Harmonizer effects now, I'd rather use my Digitech Harmony Man or my ehx pitch fork, which sounds much better. But it would be nice not having to drag these extra pedals along... So I was just wondering how much better the FM3 pitch block is, compared to the AX8.. ('cos I hope it actually is better..) ?

Last edited:
Prior to getting my FM3, I used a Whammy (gen 5) as part of my rig. I primarily used the deep detune feature (blending in some Sco-ish detune as needed) and also used the down 4th/down 3rd harmony setting. I also used it for a bit to simulate a baritone before deciding to just buy a baritone. I also used a TC Electronic Quintessence for standard harmonies and adding octaves as needed.

Anyway, I have managed to replace everything I was doing with just the FM3 and it gets the job done. However, I would 100% agree that it is just not as good, specifically with the Whammy functions (I actually think it does really well for standard harmony stuff). I've noticed some slight tracking/latency issues with the 4th/3rd setting and there is something just not quite as pleasing about it. The detune seems to work well. The Baritone simulation I pretty much found unusable.

I also do have to set up another preset for songs I intend to use the pitch function on due to CPU limitations. I'm typically running around 75% with my base rig, so adding the pitch pushes me over a bit. I simply dump an effect I won't use in the applications I need pitch function on and resave the base patch. This isn't really an issue, but thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, all things being equal, I'd prefer the sound/performance of the Whammy over how the FM3 does, but having it all contained in the FM3 more than makes up for it. I have not touched my Whammy or Quintessence since getting the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom