FM3 Logic Pro - Difference in tone after recording

yy46

Today I recorded a test FM3 guitar for LOGIC Pro and set the guitar sound on the monitors and after recording I heard that the guitars sounded very thin and weak. I changed the settings of this preset, reduced the treble, cut the high cut to 5k in the cab block, so the sound coming from the monitors is very moody. it turned out that it was better after recording.
It seems that what I hear while playing is not the same as what is recorded.
Do you have a similar experience that after recording in Logic the sound is more harsh and thinner?
I have the recording set to 48khz in Logic
Does anyone have any suggestions for Logic settings? FM3 settings ?

I recorded the difference on my phone , I put my phone close to monitor. First you can hear the guitar sound is moody, and then I playback what was recorded and it is much clearer and sharper
Please ignore all additional noises and clipping or my playing. I just needed proof of this difference

Are you using configuration #1 from the recording guide? If so, my first guess would be that you're applying some processing to the recorded track when playing it back in Logic. That would make the playback sound different than the monitored sound.

Are you using configuration #1 from the recording guide? If so, my first guess would be that you're applying some processing to the recorded track when playing it back in Logic. That would make the playback sound different than the monitored sound.
Where I can find recording guide and this configuration #1?
No additional processing, track is empty without any effects...

Another tip worth mentioning is that it's necessary to listen/dial in presets/record with headphones or volume up enough so that you cannot hear your physical guitar. The string noise is very clear in the first clip and that will impact your perception of the tone you're hearing.

I'm not suggesting that's the solution to your problem but will be a contributor.

Where I can find recording guide and this configuration #1?
No additional processing, track is empty without any effects...

You'll find instructions for recording here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

Another tip for dialing in a sound: record your riff into a looper block and use that as the source of your audio while editing your preset instead of playing live. If you do that and follow the instructions above it will sound identical.

A few questions to help troubleshoot:

1. What processing do you have on in Logic (either during recording or during playback)? Even if the guitar track channel has no processing on, are you running through a mix bus or aux bus?
2. How are you getting from the FM3 to Logic - for example, SPDIF or analog into an interface, or direct via USB?
3. When recording, how are you monitoring - for example, are you monitoring the channel output in Logic (vs, for example, monitoring the FM3 through the same monitors but routing direct to the monitors rather than routing through Logic)?

If you are going digital from the FM3 into Logic and then you're playing back in Logic with no processing it should sound identical, and even if going analog it should be much closer than that. Clearly something is significantly changing the sound between what you're hearing on tracking vs what you're hearing on playback ...

dépends on how you monitor and use the fm3 but be sure you don’t have some global eq on out 1 and out 2

1. What processing do you have on in Logic (either during recording or during playback)? Even if the guitar track channel has no processing on, are you running through a mix bus or aux bus?
2. How are you getting from the FM3 to Logic - for example, SPDIF or analog into an interface, or direct via USB?
3. When recording, how are you monitoring - for example, are you monitoring the channel output in Logic (vs, for example, monitoring the FM3 through the same monitors but routing direct to the monitors rather than routing through Logic)?

If you are going digital from the FM3 into Logic and then you're playing back in Logic with no processing it should sound identical, and even if going analog it should be much closer than that. Clearly something is significantly changing the sound between what you're hearing on tracking vs what you're hearing on playback ...
1.no processing, no buses or aux
2.usb cable - sound is coming from headphone / output 1. the sound from logic is coming through FM3 by the same output- headphones
3. I answered on this question in my 2 answer. Monitors are connected straight to FM3 by headphone jack (out1) so In logic FM3 is my main sound driver. When I listen anything in logic is going back to FM3 than to monitors.

Ive checked my global eq. out1 is disabled, out2 (Its not even connected) is active but no changes. Ive activated a while ago just for future live purposes and I didnt use it at all, so its flat.

regarding the last sentence that something is changing the tone... I wasn't happy at all when recording my guitars, always sounds harsh, thin, a different than my preset sound. It much different and I would like to know whats causing this. Ive seen many videos when people are recording and the guitar sound was so good, I couldn't make it really good tone, so strange... Ive seen another post about thin sound, one of the suggestions was to change it to 48khz, my logic project is setup like that. I was thinking that maybe other people had similar issue when recording...

That sounds like it's a word clock disagreement issue. Can you post a screenshot of your audio devices window from within the Audio/MIDI Setup app? (located in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder) Since Logic is able to set its audio preferences independently of the system, there might be a clock disagreement going on between how the system itself is set and how Logic's own preference settings are configured.

regarding the last sentence that something is changing the tone... I wasn't happy at all when recording my guitars, always sounds harsh, thin, a different than my preset sound. It much different and I would like to know whats causing this. Ive seen many videos when people are recording and the guitar sound was so good, I couldn't make it really good tone, so strange... Ive seen another post about thin sound, one of the suggestions was to change it to 48khz, my logic project is setup like that. I was thinking that maybe other people had similar issue when recording...

The sample rate doesn't matter. Like most DAW's these days, Logic will convert the sample rate as necessary when recording. There is no word clock when recording over USB. The most likely explanation is you're probably adding something to the signal chain during playback, perhaps something as simple as applying gain, for example in the usb input level, especially since you're connecting your monitors to the headphone output.

I agree. Something is changing the tone…
There is nothing added to this strip.
The level is the same , I mean when I listen when I’m playing and playback it’s the same level regarding how loud it is
Maybe is adding something when playing playback or …. It has been recorded like that already ….
Maybe I could bounce this waveform to audio and listen outside logic

Last edited:
What I'm hearing sounds like pops/crackles from digital clipping (which is very similar sounding to clocking issue crackles), and if you're using the USB interface, it's not the clock, so something seems like its causing the audio to clip during the recording, but you're not hearing it on the monitoring side.

^ Good call. I agree; try recording in a different app, and see if the symptoms repeat. Are you using the FM3 as the system's audio device as well as within Logic? (Still curious how things are set in the Audio/MIDI setup app.)

record in another DAW
change usb buffer size settings
I don’t have access to another DAW. I think the only option would be to download Reaper and try it. I think it’s for free, at least it was many years ago..
I will try bounce recorded waveform and listen outside the logic . I belive it’s not how it sounds when playback , it sounds already like that because has been recorded already like that .
will do it later

The level is the same , I mean when I listen when I’m playing and playback it’s the same level regarding how loud it is

It's hard to tell with a phone recording, but the playback in the 2nd half of the recording you uploaded is considerably louder than the first half.

If you want to check the recording, don't bounce it, that will sound the same. Instead, open the recorded audio file in Quicktime Player and play it. Are you sure you're following the instructions in the recording guide? For example it might sound different when recording due to having input monitoring turned on. And make sure the usb input level is set to neutral.

Last edited:
When playing back, make sure that the signal isn’t going through the grid.
Also check your global EQ in Setup.

When playing back, make sure that the signal isn’t going through the grid.
Also check your global EQ in Setup.
Signal is going from logic to FM3 and to monitors. There is only one input in grid: input 1 my guitar.
Fm3 is playing role of interface only.
Global eq is disabled .

record in another DAW
change usb buffer size settings
+1

There is obviously something in the signal chain that is changing the tone.

You need to chase the source of the problem by isolating every step.

Post sceeenshots of your configuration.

I don’t also understand how you monitor your tone. Your talking about monitor but you say you plug everything on headphones out.

If you want to solve this you have to isolate everything

Back
Top Bottom